Duration between turns

Try the 40 AI Earth map. Only reason I tolerate that map is because of my second computer next to Civilization.

I'd say 20-30s late game on a huge map.

Athlon 3800 (2ghz dual core). 4GB ram.

I have friendly moves turned off, and quick animations on. Basic sound effects are on, all the others (music, etc) are off.

Recently changed from a 256mb gf6600 to a 1gig rad4850. Made basically no difference that I could tell in Civ4, but I play with all the eye candy turned off (at 1680x1050)

I'd say RAM is the biggest issue. Especially on big maps. Task manager often shows civ at 1.5gigs usage lategame for me, so less than that would result in massive swapping to disk.

Phenom 9750, 4gb 1066 Ram, 512mb Geforce9600 GT, Vista64.

I always play huge maps (and the earth map a lot), and usually 18 civs, with BTS's graphics details all set to max (anisotropic(sp?) filtering at x8 though). It never usually takes more than 5secs for a turn even during the modern era.

One of the things that does make a difference to me is Windows Aero - I have set compatibility mode on the BTS shortcut to turn it off when I start the game.

Not only the amount of ram does speed up things, but also the frequency.

I've this specs:

pc:
E8400 3,0GHZ dual core
4gb ram 667mhz
512mb video nvidea 9800gt

laptop:
p8600 2,4ghz centrino dual core
4gb ram 1067mhz
512 mb video ati 3670

And it both goes speedly enough. Of course things slow down if later, but not that much.

Late game huge maps, and before the AI is whittled down too much, I guess it can get up to around 10s, tested at 5s in my current game, but I have half the map already (conquest/time victory only).

Quad core Q6600 oversped slightly to 3GHz w/128KB L1 and 8MB L2, FSB 1346MTs w/base frequency 334MHz), 4GB DDR2 838 RAM, Marvell 61xx RAID w/7.2k 300MB/s SATA hard drives (x2), Nvidia GTX280 w/1GB RAM. Note a lot of modern components are designed to score highly on the metrics most people know (CPU core speed, amount of main RAM, HDD size), but make cheaper products by skimping on the less well known stuff. I have a cheap laptop that looks very similar in spec to my main box (except the graphics card) from the "headline" figures, but cost 1/6th of the price, and runs okay but nothing special. I wouldn't really try to play Civ4 on it.

The one thing I always found was slow is opening up the city list for some reason, well especially once you have 100+ cities. Has this been sped up in v3.19 because I just tried it and it seemed fairly fast (only at 65 cities so far though)? Or is it BUGs version of that screen is faster, as I only updated to using that in the last couple of games?

I used to have to wait ages in between turns. Then I bought more RAM, and the problem seems to have gone down a fair bit. 3gb is a good amount to let Civ run well on Huge Maps, or even bigger

3200 single core with 1GB RAM turns used to take about 30 sec on a large map after the 1900's.
now i have 3 GB RAM and.....not much has changed. :(

CivIV is unable to address more than 2GB of RAM (Doesn't use /LARGEADDRESSAWARE) so if you have another Gig or two for your system that's about it as far as RAM. Not too good with coding myself so I'm not sure that it could be added without an extensive rewrite.
I'm guessing that, due to the way Civ IV is coded, you won't get much faster turn times than those quoted by DMOC above.

CivIV is unable to address more than 2GB of RAM (Doesn't use /LARGEADDRESSAWARE) so if you have another Gig or two for your system that's about it as far as RAM. Not too good with coding myself so I'm not sure that it could be added without an extensive rewrite.
I'm guessing that, due to the way Civ IV is coded, you won't get much faster turn times than those quoted by DMOC above.

:cry::cry::cry:
:cry::cry::cry:

I did a game up here with Julius Caesar that had 30 civs and was on a map twice as large as huge with the help of the planet generator script (you can view it here if you click on the threads I've created). So ... that's what the planet generator by BUG can do. :) But the game gets so slow late game that it's very hard to finish.

Top Bottom