E3 2005: Civ4 Live Stage Demo (GameSpot)

stickciv said:
Screenshots dont do the game justice. That looks friggin awesome. I mean the units have been made smaller, the world view is cool and the tech tree,

BTW, welcome to CFC spicytimothy

haha thx but I've been here since Nov 2003...

but thanks n e ways :)

Vietcong said:
he says thers 18??? has the numer of civs changed?
19 was the figure cited before but that has changed recently to 18 (Soren mentioned it in the movie and I believe the other Firaxis guy they interviewed at IGN said the same thing) along with 26 leaders. Soren said that there won't be 2 leaders for every civ because of the trouble finding multiple leaders for each civ, but the time spent to work on them was probably a factor as well I imagine.

Finally got to watch it by reinstalling WMP and restarting. Spectacumongous! That persistent turn-based server sounds like a most excellent addition. Now if I could only get my friends to buy Civ...

spicytimothy said:
haha thx but I've been here since Nov 2003...

but thanks n e ways :)

Sorry didnt notice that :)
Your post count is low, thats why I said that, plus I havent seen you around so I give you a late welcome

P.S. My post count isnt something to marvel at Either. :rolleyes:

Looking at the civolopedia it seems like they used a lotta old icons, at least for the time being... Here're what I caught and I'm pretty sure about:

Mysticism/Construction/Monarchy/Music Theory/Nationalism/Democracy/Corporation/Communism/Ecology/Astronomy/Economics/
Math/Recycling/Horse-riding/Engineering(?)/Factory/Computer/Gunpowder/Ironworks/

Also something funny:

When he was looking at the Buildings menu, the icon on the lower left corner looks like a portrait of George W Bush! What's the deal with that!!??? :lol:

And if my eyes don't deceive me I think I saw rice as a food resource! :crazyeye:

Nope, they didnt, at least I think so, I saw it too

spicytimothy said:
When he was looking at the Buildings menu, the icon on the lower left corner looks like a portrait of George W Bush! What's the deal with that!!??? :lol:
Are you sure it wasn't Al Gore? There is a radio bit on Firaxis' site which talks about using Al Gore's portrait as the icon for the Internet wonder. :D

Did they cut the video off mid-sentence? :confused:

Now start getting screencaps of every single frame. There are probably about a million different things that need to be over-analyzed. Get moving people, what do you think I'm paying you for? If you don't want to do this, you can always go here

:p

I need a bucket to hold all my drool.

That video was absolutely awesome.

spicytimothy said:
Another weird thing.. looks like the leaders are era-specific n e more... but since there's no more eras guess it's sacrificed......

This is most likely because the graphics are not finished yet

The game looks great and alot of fun

A few notes from viewing the video :

My count *might* be slightly off, but I believe there are 83 units in the game (Soren said "about eighty" and in teh pedia there are seven row of 11 plus one of what seems to be six. Four of these are animals, including wolves.

unfortantly ther is no flanking and other military tactics.
the religon is cool (daoist Romans :lol: islam america :crazyeye: ) but is left to see how holy citys work
the wysiwyg (what you see is what you get) is awsome.
graphics defentaly not done no DX9 water and some fluidity issues

other than a few gripes it looks awsome cant wait for the final product

Thanks Icevulture!

My reading of the pedia stuff
83 Units (7 11-square rows, plus six extra unit in the twelfth row)
4 Animals (Wolf, Bear, Panther, Lion), so 79 actual units. UUs are mentioned (yez Xen, including roman legionaries), HOWEVER we have no clue yet wether these are CIV-specific or LEADER-specific. If the former, we likely have 61 generic units (compared to 58 in C3C), if the later, we have 53 generic units (compared to 49 in Vanilla, 51 in PTW). That's unless UUs were atributed in some other way this time around, of course.

84 Technologies (7 11-square rows, plus seven extra techs in the twelfth row)

102 Buildings (includign Wonders) (9x11+3)

41 Promotions.

35 ressources (however the last 4 seems to use the wheat graphic together).

There's also a category called "projects" in the civilopedia. Anyone has a clue what this could be?

Diplomacy doesn't seem any different from the video. The same four options on the main screen (underlines are things I can't read):

We would like to make a trade proposal.
__________________________ (Declare War)
What are the _____ that we _____ together?
Farewell (Pax)

And then the trade screen shows:
Gold
Gold per turn
Technology
Resources
_____ We're _____ [mudblood: Things we're trading?]

This diplomacy has changed very little from Civ III, but maybe there are other options later on in the game that make it more interesting, or there's stuff they're working on.

Could projects be wonders?

EDIT: One thing I noticed different about diplomacy is that I didn't see an advisor to save you time on trading.

I really wish they would talk about diplomacy, its always been one of the weakest parts of the game and they barely mention how it changes in Civ4. I hope its because they are still working on programing the AI.

Top Bottom