E3 2005: Civ4 Live Stage Demo (GameSpot)

Those people complaining about the graphics difference between Civ4 and other games like AoK III and RPGs need to remember what kind of game you are dealing with: the equivalent of your home computer running as a server for a mini MMORPG. RTS games limit the number of units per team for a good reason: computer resources just can't handle the load. Have you guys ever tried playing civ3 on a huge map and seen what happens to game performance in the late game? Now try adding better graphics, a physics engine and requiring the system to keep track of hundreds of particle effects, and you aren't going to get many people whose system can play the game. I don't think it's a matter so much of whether Firaxis or Take2 have the resources to make a more graphically pleasing game. I think it's a matter or whether users' system resources can handle it. I would rather have a good game with improved graphics that I can play smoothly than one with fantastic graphics that are choppy or require me to go out and spend $3000 on a new computer. The game is already going to cost $50. It shouldn't require a $3050 total investment just so whiners can have more eye candy.

EDIT: I for one would like to play the next Civ at work like I've been doing with Civ3. I can't really go to my supervisor and say, "I need a new computer because the TBS I'm addicted to just came out with a new iteration and my PentiumIII can't handle the graphics." On the other hand, I could go to them and say, "The statistics software I use to create my annual reports just got upgraded and my system runs like molasses when crunching the numbers on it. It's slowing down my work and it would be cost-effective for you to upgrade my system." Of course, it only runs like molasses because I'm multitasking with Civ :p

I don't care about uber graphics a la AoE3 or whatever. But I do love nicely animated anti-aliased polygonal models - sprites & bitmaps look awful. I'm delighted Civ is finally going down the 3D route at all and really couldn't give a f**k how it shapes up to AoE3 in terms of its engine. :)

Camber said:
Those people complaining about the graphics difference between Civ4 and other games like AoK III and RPGs need to remember what kind of game you are dealing with: the equivalent of your home computer running as a server for a mini MMORPG. RTS games limit the number of units per team for a good reason: computer resources just can't handle the load.
Yes, this argument was brought here before. But to say it again, you can NOT compare Civ with AoK III or a MMORPG!!! :rolleyes:
Games like AoK or WoW have a world/board (in programming turns: arrays, matrices, etc) which are CONSTANTLY moving, thus, the computer needs to make new calculations ALL THE TIME.
Civ is more or less static and by moving your mouse you only change a VERY limited amount of variables in the game (that is, compared to RTS etc). All the movement you see in Civ are preset animations which do NOT need to be recalculated constantly, thus they (should) require FAR LESS calculations (and variables) than a moving units in a real-time game.

Have you guys ever tried playing civ3 on a huge map and seen what happens to game performance in the late game?
Of course we have, are you kidding? But Civ3 is not so slow because it is soooo complex, it is slow because it was not programmed very well. :vomit:

Now try adding better graphics, a physics engine and requiring the system to keep track of hundreds of particle effects, and you aren't going to get many people whose system can play the game.
It shouldn't require a $3050 total investment just so whiners can have more eye candy.
I agree, but again, first this is also largely dependant on how well the game is programmed. Furthermore, you have to take into account that several years have passed since Civ3 came out. I am pretty sure most of the people here have newer PCs standing at home since the Civ3 release.
Yes, one should not need a 4000+ to play cIV.

EDIT: I for one would like to play the next Civ at work like I've been doing with Civ3.
ROFL - :rolleyes:
Do I need to say more?

Does anyone have any idea what computer spec will be required? I want to be prepared!

I think Gandhi looks pretty good!!!!!

Compare to his real life photo....not bad!

Mao doesn't look bad, either......

civanon was hilarious.

*old lady*"But when I split the atom I built a bomb and I dropped it on any beeeeeep that got in my way.

I think the graphics look cool :cool:, and the new gameplay features are going to add a new element to the game

Ramalhão said:
Gandhi's head is too big compared to the body, as you can see it in your images.

Apparently, even Gandhi gets a big head when you turn him into a 6000-year immortal ruling over the Indian people the whole while. :lol:

Maybe it's a subtle commentary about absolute power? ;)

- Sirian

The leaderheads look a lot better than in Civ 3, I don't know what some people here are thinking... ;)

I think the leaderheads are great, and i'm a fan of how the graphics generally are progressing. If I'm going to be staring at something for approximately 60 hours a month, I'm prepared for it to look a lil cartoony and exaggerated. It sort of takes the edge of all the seriousness of the game, which will probably end up keeping me sane in the long run. :)

All you people who are talking about the graphics being so bad and talking the best aoe III image and the worst civ 4 and saying how bad the graphics are this is for you.

<Snip>

Moderator Action: I really recommend you read the forum rules, before you get yourself a ban...
Thanks.

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Top Bottom