E3 lot of info about four leaders/factions :)

Like the author's name :)

Also, (200 years later) implies that the great mistake was either 200 years ago OR 183 years ago (Kavitha born 200 years ago-17 years before great mistake)

Given that Fielding's interview is in 2216,

That means the Great Mistake (at least a key portion of it) is ~2016 or ~2033 (say maybe as much as +10 years for difference in time between interview and Hitchen's article)

Ok, now the big question is what are they going to show us next week?

This is by far the best written blog entry about the leaders :) It's pretty interesting and engaging.
The only criticism I'd make is that naming "Hitchens" an anti-religious journalist is pretty obvious and unsubtle :p

This is by far the best written blog entry about the leaders :) It's pretty interesting and engaging.
The only criticism I'd make is that naming "Hitchens" an anti-religious journalist is pretty obvious and unsubtle :p

Just googled "Hitchens", It show horribly lacks of creativity in otherwise good writing.

I can't believe they have trouble coming up with name or overlook this detail. :(

Just googled "Hitchens", It show horribly lacks of creativity in otherwise good writing.

If the name was John Tresol would that be any better?

The point was to have a relatable stereotype.

I can't believe they have trouble coming up with name or overlook this detail. :(

If this were a character in the actual game, I might see how it would be better to give him a wholly original name.

But since this is a throwaway character for one article on their PR website, I don't see anything wrong with naming him after two famous cynics as an in-joke.

Also, (200 years later) implies that the great mistake was either 200 years ago OR 183 years ago (Kavitha born 200 years ago-17 years before great mistake)

Given that Fielding's interview is in 2216,

That means the Great Mistake (at least a key portion of it) is ~2016 or ~2033 (say maybe as much as +10 years for difference in time between interview and Hitchen's article)

Yeah, I'm wrestling with that too.

Oh? Hadn't spotted a year with Fielding's interview?

2033 sounds more likely. Otherwise this Mistake might feel a little too close to us.
Btw, the blog seems to indicate India still experiences the "ruins" from the Great Mistake, as in it directly involved the subcontinent?

Edit:

So, Fielding's interview in August 2016 means the Seeding (or, at least ARC's first Seeding departure) starts/launches AFTER this date, likely a couple years later.

Reading said blog:

"worst violence"- perhaps the Great Mistake was an Indo-Pakistani-Chinese-whoever nuclear exchange or general war?

"I did not expect to come to love Kavitha Thakur"- he never digs into her age- I suspect there is a Big Brother scenario here, wherein she is considered alive but has constant "reincarnations". Fits with Indian religion too.

Reading said blog:

"worst violence"- perhaps the Great Mistake was an Indo-Pakistani-Chinese-whoever nuclear exchange or general war?

"I did not expect to come to love Kavitha Thakur"- he never digs into her age- I suspect there is a Big Brother scenario here, wherein she is considered alive but has constant "reincarnations". Fits with Indian religion too.

I think she's a reference to Civ leaders living like 10K years. But yeah i guess that'd be the explanation, "replacement goldfishs"

I think it's prety suspicious that that's the first blog where the leader actuall doesn't appear. We only read what people are saying about her.
I think she might not actually exist. Kavitha Thakur died decades -maybe over a century- ago and her most devout folowers are keeping up the charade with holograms, robot bodies and/or lookalikes.

I think Kavitha Thakur's article only accentuates the mysticism encompassing her person. What else could the PR guys at Firaxis/2K do to keep the mystery? ;)

As on her age, its pretty clear some kind of effective hibernation technology exists prior to the Seeding, otherwise they would have used literal 'generation' starships.
Another possibility is a granddaughter namesake which the people of the Protectorate accepted as the original Kavitha's stand in.

If this were a character in the actual game, I might see how it would be better to give him a wholly original name.

But since this is a throwaway character for one article on their PR website, I don't see anything wrong with naming him after two famous cynics as an in-joke.

Well, if you say so. I simply will never name throwaway character so obviously throwaway like this if I write my own fiction. :)
2033 sounds more likely. Otherwise this Mistake might feel a little too close to us.
Btw, the blog seems to indicate India still experiences the "ruins" from the Great Mistake, as in it directly involved the subcontinent?

Who know, there might be some game company around here that will soon mistakenly make 6th iteration of a well-known TBS game being so controversial in international politics and it quickly escalated into WW3. :rolleyes:

I think Diogenes Hitchens is meant to be a pseudonym- some famous skeptical blogger adopts their names as part of his brand.

I think Diogenes Hitchens is meant to be a pseudonym- some famous skeptical blogger adopts their names as part of his brand.

Yeah, "Diogenes Hitchens" reminds me somewhat of the infamous Locke and Demosthenes from Ender's Game... a blogger who adopted the pseudonym of two famous cynics for his column.

Honestly, would anyone actually name their kid "Diogenes"?

I don't think the nuclear exchange in India would have been more than an aspect of the great mistake, since it affected the whole world. It might have been an all out military buildup in a grab for ressouces to fuel the national economies that excerbated regional tensions finally resulting in a series of wars. In the case of India and Pakistan that might have turned hot fast (not to speak of the ethnically motivated atrocities among muslim comunities in northern india that would follow). Therefore the great mistake could well be an economic overreliance on key ressources like oil, copper and rare elements, leading to conflict and economic crash.

But thats just an assumption, we will never know completely, because Firaxis does not want to scare anyone away with predictions, someone could oppose to with ideological fervor.

Top Bottom