EA Offers to Buy Take Two

JFLNYC

Producer
For those of you wondering what Take Two has been up to, here's your answer:

New Shareholders to Weigh Take-Two Bid

Evan Wilson, an analyst with Pacific Crest Securities, said that Electronic Arts’ decision to go hostile could cause it some problems with Take-Two’s creative teams. He said that game development studios, like Rockstar Games, which makes Grand Theft Auto, may not stick around to work for Electronic Arts.

Small wonder there's been no new BTS patch.

yeah, I'm sure the events of the last three weeks have effected the long tested and long overdue patch....

yup - that's it, lol!

Take Two was going to be sold from the moment ZelnickMedia bought them in March of 2007.

P.S. LOL!

It is not the first time that EA tries to buy Take Two... and it is not the first time that EA shreads to pieces a good series after buying the label ( remember command and conquer? Last game of the series was hardly a strategy game....) . I can clearly imagine that the designer teams of the Take Two games would not be interested to make Sim GTA or Sim Civilization....

But on patch... this is smelling so much like C3C :(

Take Two was going to be sold from the moment ZelnickMedia bought them in March of 2007.

P.S. LOL!

So does that mean that the programmers are sitting on their hands until the sale goes through or something? Revolutions is coming along, they're obviously working... Just obviously not on the game they released buggy and bugged up with their patch.

So does that mean that the programmers are sitting on their hands until the sale goes through or something? Revolutions is coming along, they're obviously working... Just obviously not on the game they released buggy and bugged up with their patch.

It means when rumors are swirling about the company being sold, the development studios not going along with the deal and people being laid off, employees spend a lot less time at their work and a lot more time being distracted by conversations amongst themselves about what they're going to do for a living.

I've been through it and, trust me, productivity drops dramatically and any work which doesn't have a direct effect effect on the bottom line (such as patches) usually gets ignored entirely. If you think you may be about to get fired and your boss might be too, it has a very deleterious effect on productivity.

It means when rumors are swirling about the company being sold, the development studios not going along with the deal and people being laid off, employees spend a lot less time at their work and a lot more time being distracted by conversations amongst themselves about what they're going to do for a living.

I've been through it and, trust me, productivity drops dramatically and any work which doesn't have a direct effect effect on the bottom line (such as patches) usually gets ignored entirely. If you think you may be about to get fired and your boss might be too, it has a very deleterious effect on productivity.

Good Lord, I don't know what kind of a terribly run company you worked for, but it was *terribly* run. If employee productivity is dropping so much that the company has to react by dropping whole projects - that reaction implying that yes, the company is well aware the productivity has dropped that much for no good reason - the management would have to be utterly ******ed to not take some punitive action on those listless workers, or actively encourage them to do better.

What's more, a buyout like this is strong motivation to INCREASE productivity, not decrease, because the shakeup after a buyout is one of the most likely times for unproductive areas of a company to be either restructured or phased out. Want to keep your job? Make yourself worth keeping, don't show what a bunch of slackarses you are right before you get a new boss to impress.

No, it doesn't add up. Thank Adam Smith that most companies aren't managed like whatever company you came from, because if they were... Well, it wouldn't be good. Also, take my word for it - what happened at your organization is far from the norm, and I wouldn't take it as such if I were you. A possible buyout a year off is not even close to an explanation as to why they're dropping products.

Now if financial woes that cause a buyout affect the company, that's plausible... Or a restructuring from non-profitable areas (like patching) in favour of more profitable (Civ: Revolution) is also plausible. Workers spend so much chatting about the buyout that they neglect their job that the company has to drop entire intended projects? No. Just no. Maybe in the Larry, Moe and Curly Moving Co. or something.

I'm sure those quality programmers are probably not working as hard because they are busy getting in touch with old contacts in other companies that they would like to work in. I don't think many people would like their project leader to be a guy who has no appreciation for making quality games and it appointed almost entirely because of the ability to push through products regardless of any game play issues that would greatly benefit from additional time.

Good Lord, I don't know what kind of a terribly run company you worked for, but it was *terribly* run. If employee productivity is dropping so much that the company has to react by dropping whole projects - that reaction implying that yes, the company is well aware the productivity has dropped that much for no good reason - the management would have to be utterly ******ed to not take some punitive action on those listless workers, or actively encourage them to do better.

What's more, a buyout like this is strong motivation to INCREASE productivity, not decrease, because the shakeup after a buyout is one of the most likely times for unproductive areas of a company to be either restructured or phased out. Want to keep your job? Make yourself worth keeping, don't show what a bunch of slackarses you are right before you get a new boss to impress.

No, it doesn't add up. Thank Adam Smith that most companies aren't managed like whatever company you came from, because if they were... Well, it wouldn't be good. Also, take my word for it - what happened at your organization is far from the norm, and I wouldn't take it as such if I were you. A possible buyout a year off is not even close to an explanation as to why they're dropping products.

Now if financial woes that cause a buyout affect the company, that's plausible... Or a restructuring from non-profitable areas (like patching) in favour of more profitable (Civ: Revolution) is also plausible. Workers spend so much chatting about the buyout that they neglect their job that the company has to drop entire intended projects? No. Just no. Maybe in the Larry, Moe and Curly Moving Co. or something.

With all due respect, that's simply not what happens in the real world -- at companies which were run a lot better than Take Two, big and small, private and public. Employees simply put their collective noses to the grindstone and work harder when their jobs are in jeopardy at Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, Inc., but in real companies in the real world, people start frantically looking for other work. In fact, in many such situations, major business decisions and operations are, by contract, "frozen" and only routine transactions in the ordinary course of business are permitted while the existing management is in lame duck status prior to closing of the sale.

A timely example: Think employees were productive at Bear Stearns today?

at Bear Sterns? Well......... just as productive as they were before when conducting the bad business practices they had been conducting that put them in the bad situation they put themselves in to start with.....

in fact - great example, lol.

More from the case study:

Over the next 45 minutes, Mr. Dimon made it clear that he hoped to retain the best employees at Bear but also made it plain that many of Bear’s 14,000 employees will lose their jobs as a result of the deal, struck at the urging of the Federal Reserve and the Treasury Department. JPMorgan executives plan to cull one Bear employee after another, while keeping the best performers, as they move to integrate the two firms.

A few of the executives whom Mr. Dimon faced on Wednesday, all of whom own Bear shares, pledged to fight the deal in hopes of luring a better offer from a rival bank, a prospect that for now seems distant. Even so, Joseph Lewis, the largest shareholder of Bear, said in a securities filing on Wednesday that he would take “whatever action” necessary to protect his stake, including seeking out another suitor.

But Mr. Dimon, ruddy-faced and sharply dressed in a light blue tie and white shirt, told the executives that those of them who stay might receive at least 25 percent of the value of their recent Bear stock awards in the form of JPMorgan shares. Those who stay until the deal closes will receive a one-time cash payment.

Inside Bear, it is already clear that the new bosses have arrived. On Wednesday, as Mr. Dimon made his way across the street under March skies as dreary as the mood inside Bear, a JPMorgan security guard stood watch at Bear’s entrance. JPMorgan executives have appropriated offices for private meetings and begun placing calls from the desks of Bear executives.

JPMorgan bankers are already calling most of shots on Bear’s trading floor.

NY Times today.

Most employees will lose their jobs. I'm sure they're spending most of their waking hours trying to find new jobs, not working on Bear Stearns business. Other time is being spent in meetings such as the one this story is based upon and, in some cases, trying to find another buyer and/or meeting with attorneys to discuss legal action to block the sale. Bear Stearns employees are not even calling the shots on many of their own projects already. In order to keep good employees from leaving immediately, Bear is offering "stay bonuses." Schedules of meetings/interviews of key Bear employees by JP Morgan senior executives are being set up. There's even a JP Morgan security guard at the door of Bear.

In my 30 years in business, this is exactly the scenario I've seen repeated over and over (with the possible exception of the security guard). I can tell you from multiple personal experiences that the top Bear executives are spending their days trying to figure out how to make this situation work best for them, whether in the form of new jobs, finding another buyer or negotiating the best deal possible with their new employers. The best employees who are not in senior management are already offering their services to the highest bidder and will use any offers they receive as leverage with JP Morgan. Lower-level employees are spending most working hours gossiping amongst themselves, trying to get the latest rumors and figure out what the sale is going to mean to them and their families. Even those who want to just do their jobs are finding that there's a new level of bureaucracy which has to be consulted before decisions are made -- if they can figure out whom to ask. An army of due diligence lawyers and accountants has probably already descended upon Bear, requiring employees to stop what they'd otherwise be doing in order to produce files and reports and to brief the lawyers and accountants on every minute detail of how Bear is run.

Is all this happening at T2 now? Certainly not at the level it's happening at Bear. But I can assure you that it's begun. You can be sure there are lots of quiet conversations, meetings, lunches, phone calls, text messages, etc., involving T2 employees and it's getting harder each day to get anything done. And until the company is either sold or pulled definitively off the market, it will only get worse.

yeah but that was Taco Bell, not Take 2..

Meh, don't feel like getting into a pi$$ing match of anecdotal evidence. I've been through similar situations to yours, and to the one being described, and over the semi-long term, I found VERY tangibly that people wanted to keep their jobs and competed to go the extra mile as a result... If anything, competition became so fierce that things got a little bit cutthroat. The type of scenario where people spend so much time chatting and wasting time for more than a day or two as the result of a buyout seems terribly far fetched based on my past experience. The dead opposite of what you claim happens in your anecdotal "real world." So, that's that - have fun telling us about the "real world" which I, for one, must not live in.

Meh, don't feel like getting into a pi$$ing match of anecdotal evidence. I've been through similar situations to yours, and to the one being described, and over the semi-long term, I found VERY tangibly that people wanted to keep their jobs and competed to go the extra mile as a result... If anything, competition became so fierce that things got a little bit cutthroat. The type of scenario where people spend so much time chatting and wasting time for more than a day or two as the result of a buyout seems terribly far fetched based on my past experience. The dead opposite of what you claim happens in your anecdotal "real world." So, that's that - have fun telling us about the "real world" which I, for one, must not live in.

You're trying too hard to dismiss experience as "anecdotal" by citing nothing more than your own anecdotal experience. The difference is that a very good example of my experience was published today in the NY Times. 14,000 Bear Stearns employees would tell you that it's very real whether you choose to believe it nor not.

You're trying too hard to dismiss experience as "anecdotal" by citing nothing more than your own anecdotal experience. The difference is that a very good example of my experience was published today in the NY Times. 14,000 Bear Stearns employees would tell you that it's very real whether you choose to believe it nor not.

I still recognize your evidence as being either anecdotal (what I originally responded to) or very limited and short term (your Bear Stearns - half of their concern isn't just losing their job, it's that 1/3 of the company is owned by employees and they stand to lose life savings over a buyout like this!). This is hardly comparable to the Firaxis buyout, or even a normal situation for a buyout of this type. What's more, tThere have been studies done showing consistent increases in productivity as a result of buyouts.

In fact, here's one such study, conducted in Australia, showing marked increases in productivity in a majority of the surveyed companies which had gone through buyouts.

http://www.meyrick.com.au/html4/Docs2/AVCAL_Meyrick_LabourProductivity_062304.pdf

The Bear Stearns issue more or less assures that upwards of 50% of the employees will be laid off, meaning most of these people have effectively already lost their jobs and there is no possibility of the competition to keep jobs which I'm describing... Whereas EA has a long history of keeping successful studios largely intact. You're using a very specific and abnormal case to go against a general rule - the possibility of losing your job doesn't make you work less, it makes you work more in order to try and keep it.

I still recognize your evidence as being either anecdotal (what I originally responded to) or very limited and short term (your Bear Stearns - half of their concern isn't just losing their job, it's that 1/3 of the company is owned by employees and they stand to lose life savings over a buyout like this!). This is hardly comparable to the Firaxis buyout, or even a normal situation for a buyout of this type.

Your reasoning doesn't hold water. Since they have more at stake, Bear employees should have even more incentive to work hard. Yet it's clear they're spending a lot of otherwise productive time considering things like finding another buyer, contemplating legal action, meeting with their new bosses at JP Morgan, etc. Even those who want to work hard cannot do so since, as the article points out, JP Morgan employees have assumed many of the positions formerly manned by Bear employees.

Conversely, if your assumption is correct, T2 employees have less at stake (and are consequently less likely to work harder) since they're not about to lose their life savings.

What's more, tThere have been studies done showing consistent increases in productivity as a result of buyouts.

In fact, here's one such study, conducted in Australia, showing marked increases in productivity in a majority of the surveyed companies which had gone through buyouts.

http://www.meyrick.com.au/html4/Docs2/AVCAL_Meyrick_LabourProductivity_062304.pdf

The study you cite is irrelevant since it makes it clear in its very first paragraph that it is an analysis of management buyouts, which is the case in neither the Bear nor T2 situations. The study was clearly designed to show that employees are more productive when their managers become their owners -- also the case in neither the Bear nor T2 situations.

The Bear Stearns issue more or less assures that upwards of 50% of the employees will be laid off, meaning most of these people have effectively already lost their jobs and there is no possibility of the competition to keep jobs which I'm describing...

But it's not been decided which 50% will lose their jobs. The article makes clear that "JPMorgan executives plan to cull one Bear employee after another." So, by your reasoning, there should still be quite a bit of motivation for competition. Yet, again, such is not the case since JP Morgan is so concerned that the best employees will leave, JP Morgan's CEO "told the executives that those of them who stay might receive at least 25 percent of the value of their recent Bear stock awards in the form of JPMorgan shares [and] those who stay until the deal closes will receive a one-time cash payment." Such incentives are typical in acquisitions and hardly constitute what you insist is an "abnormal case to go against a general rule."

Further, the whole point of the discussion is not whether employees who may lose their job are ready, willing and able to work harder. The point is that employees have difficulty doing so when they are distracted by the upheaval caused by a sale -- or reports of a potential sale -- of their company.

Whereas EA has a long history of keeping successful studios largely intact.

Clearly that's what EA would want. But if you read the initial article I cited, you'll see that "Evan Wilson, an analyst with Pacific Crest Securities, said that Electronic Arts’ decision to go hostile could cause it some problems with Take-Two’s creative teams. He said that game development studios, like Rockstar Games, which makes Grand Theft Auto, may not stick around to work for Electronic Arts."

Again, the issue is not how hard employees work when confronted with a sale, real or potential. Rather, the issue is how productive employees can be when confronted with the distractions such a sale brings. The turmoil that Bear employees are going through is very typical of what happens when a company is sold. Whether, as your cited study analyzes, employees are more productive when their managers buy the company -- and they don't stand to lose their jobs -- is inapplicable to the case at hand.

If I were, I'm sure I wouldn't let a little thing like losing my job keep me from being even more productive! :lol:

Top Bottom