Earth map, with 18 civs (Huge)

Its a very intresting map. A played as Russia, and in 1800 year a had a political map VERY similar for real)

[Gandalf] said:
Read the previous posts, the topic was covered quite well.

None of it is of help to me because I have no idea how to even open the code aspect of the world builder. I don't mod, have no clue how to do it:) I'm an idiot so I need the idiot's guide:)

Marla or Rhye: Any chance of a smaller world map? Something that is 1/2, 2/3, or 3/4 the size of this one? I like playing smaller maps in 4, and some people can't run a map this large on their system.

I've played this one as America and the Atecs decided it was time for war before I was ready. :crazyeye: I'll have to play it some more when I'm better at Civ 4.

MeteorPunch said:
Marla or Rhye: Any chance of a smaller world map? Something that is 1/2, 2/3, or 3/4 the size of this one? I like playing smaller maps in 4, and some people can't run a map this large on their system.

I've played this one as America and the Atecs decided it was time for war before I was ready. :crazyeye: I'll have to play it some more when I'm better at Civ 4.
I'm echoing this exact same question. I just don't have a powerful computer. However, I've been enjoying the game on smaller maps with few civilizations.

At the moment, I have been attempting to make a Small-sized Earth map. I'm trying to use the BMP to WBS converter. I found an old pic of a CIV1 Earth map for guidance. I'm also using Rhye's new CIV4 map.

I'm wondering if it's possible to reverse-engineer Rhye's CIV4 Earth map into it's component Height, Terrain, Feature, etc. BMP maps. From there I could shrink the BMPs in Photoshop, do some minor editing to clean it up. Can you post the BMPs that you used to make your map?

Or maybe a better question would be this: How can I reduce the number of tribes in your map? Would that dramatically increase play time?

I guess I just want a better editor than the World Builder. I miss the CIV3 editor.

I've edited this map a little bit, I hope you don't mind! I'll upload it ehre for those that want it.

The things I've changed are as follows...

1) All civilizations start with a warrior, instead of some with scouts, and some with warriors.
2) All cities begin with 2 culture, instead of big discrepancies such as some with 0, some with 2, some with 4, and some with 8.
3) Edited some mountain ranges. For instance, now can access Tibet through China and India. Inca can now eventually get around their mountain range, as well as Aztec and Inca can now travel between South and Central America.
4) Able to travel by sea through a narrow passage above North America.
5) Changed America's leader from Roosevelt to Washington.
6) The eastern coast of Greenland now has a very small coastal area for settlement.
7) Done a few minor terrain changes, such as adding trees in specific places, and seperating Nova Scotia in Canada from Quebec, and Newfoundland from Labrador. It's now easier to access western Canada through the Rockies. You can now get through the Caucasus mountains from Russia.

And that's it.

I've attached the file below. Download instructions are...

1) Right-click and select save as...
2) Save it in your My Documents/My Games/Civilization 4/PublicMaps folder
3) Start the game, and choose Single Player, then Play Scenario, and choose the new "Edited by GP" map

http://www.disgruntled-dutch.com/~civfanatics/GreekPlunder/Earth-18EditedbyGP.Civ4WorldBuilderSave

Kinseek said:
Hm. You can only select nations and not leaders when starting up (so you are locked to using Roosevelt instead of Washington for instance). Any way to fix?

well, we now have an alternative for the usa but what about the others? could someone plz post how to modify the nations leaders in general? since i dont really wanna play the americans (id have to go totally nuts end of 20th century and kill everything that looks like it might own that liquid black inflamable stuff;)

so please just a short post on how to do that or a redirect where to look.

thx in advance:)

digitill said:
well, we now have an alternative for the usa but what about the others? could someone plz post how to modify the nations leaders in general? since i dont really wanna play the americans (id have to go totally nuts end of 20th century and kill everything that looks like it might own that liquid black inflamable stuff;)

so please just a short post on how to do that or a redirect where to look.

thx in advance:)

Just right click the file you downloaded, and open it with NOTEPAD. Then, scroll down or search for the name of the leader that the nation you want to use currently has, and change it to the name of the elader you want to use.

As an example, when you search for Washington ...

BeginPlayer
Team=17
LeaderType=LEADER_WASHINGTON <---------- Change this to the name of the leader you want to use... Roosevelt is LEADER_FRANKLIN_ROOSEVELT I believe... if you get the name wrong, the civ won't show up as a selection in game.
LeaderName=Washington <---- Change this to whatever name you want them to have in-game (can be anything)
CivDesc=American Empire
CivShortDesc=America
CivAdjective=American
FlagDecal=Art/Interface/TeamColor/FlagDECAL_Star.dds
WhiteFlag=0
CivType=CIVILIZATION_AMERICA
Color=PLAYERCOLOR_BLUE
ArtStyle=ARTSTYLE_EUROPEAN
PlayableCiv=1
MinorNationStatus=0
StartingGold=0
StartingX=28, StartingY=45
StateReligion=
StartingEra=ERA_ANCIENT
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_GOVERNMENT, Civic=CIVIC_DESPOTISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LEGAL, Civic=CIVIC_BARBARISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_LABOR, Civic=CIVIC_TRIBALISM
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_ECONOMY, Civic=CIVIC_DECENTRALIZATION
CivicOption=CIVICOPTION_RELIGION, Civic=CIVIC_PAGANISM
Handicap=HANDICAP_NOBLE
EndPlayer

thx a lot Greek, NOTEPAD was all i needed to read actually:D
sorry im not mentally fit enough anymore to think of this myself:blush:
will look into it and completely destroy the file in a texteditor as soon as i get home:king:

I'd like a little smaller map as well.
I'd like to think I have a decent machine (2.8ghz P4, 2gigs of ram and a 256mb video card)... but once I get to about 1500 the game starts to slow down... and by the 1980's it is crawling.
I assume it's the map size and all the other civs making their moves...?
I want to play a World Map that has accurate placing of the CIVs and this one does it...
Thanks.

I thought the new editor is supposed to make it easier? This way seems a whole lot more comlicated, like Civ II.:crazyeye:

once you took a look at the mapfiles and the xmls in the gamefolder its really easy:cool:

i just changed the tommies to being expansive and creative (\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml) and play them now on this map, except for now its just 17 races, i left the americans out so i can conquer north america in peace:goodjob:

okok i know its cheating:rolleyes:

edit: maybe im not really playing, the game just crashed;)

Quiastion about cultural borders of England, France and Germany >> after growth of the cultural borders... capital cities can be take by other nation? :O E.G. Growth of Paris. This city is VERY close to London... After growing, Paris can absorbed London into french borders? :O

I only play the actual map of earth, and I cannot get this one (Or anything else) to run properly on Civ4. Just before putting it away for good and playing civ3 again. The extra leaderheads do not show up and it freezes and won't let me play.

MM.. I have a question for Rhye or one of the Pros., How did you add the starting locations? I can't find the tool in the world builder for adding starting locations. Please I need a quick answer

Karam said:
MM.. I have a question for Rhye or one of the Pros., How did you add the starting locations? I can't find the tool in the world builder for adding starting locations. Please I need a quick answer

not really one of the pros, but if you open the mapfile with a texteditor, you will see under each leader the x and y coordinates for their race, guess those are the starting points and you should be able to just change em if you figure out the coordinates for the tile you want.
not sure about it since i havent tried yet, but i might when i get back from work just to check;)

digitill said:
not really one of the pros, but if you open the mapfile with a texteditor, you will see under each leader the x and y coordinates for their race, guess those are the starting points and you should be able to just change em if you figure out the coordinates for the tile you want.
not sure about it since i havent tried yet, but i might when i get back from work just to check;)

in addition to this, you should change the plot data itself, moving the word "StartingPlot" to the new tile

Top Bottom