Earth map, with 18 civs (Huge)

Rhye, I must confess you've made a brilliant job with that map. There's no more job to do !

Well, you couldn't help yourself to reduce the size of the oceans, but you were right to do so as it optimizes the map in a way impossible otherwise. To put it short, I won't bother about making my own map, yours is perfect. :goodjob:

So the map is shipped with the game right ? I've heard there was also a map of Europe, did you do it too ? Can we see screenshots of it ? :)

Soa re , Mountains impassible?
This map will be very interesting for the Inca if they are

Rhye any chance you could post a zoomed in pic of Europe and the British isles?

I just want to get an idea on how many cities you could realisticly fit in europe on your map

Thanks in advance

Dargoth said:
Rhye any chance you could post a zoomed in pic of Europe and the British isles?

I just want to get an idea on how many cities you could realisticly fit in europe on your map

Thanks in advance

I was only able to fit 4 total on the British Isles/Ireland until I added 2 more grassland squares (Northern Scotland and Northwestern Ireland) was I able to fit a more acceptable 6. The rest of Europe had a problem expanding for reasons other than space, but France had plenty more room than they used (1 city) and ditto Spain (also 1 city). Greece, Rome, other nations were bunched together 1-2 city states, only Egypt and Russia really had any room to maneuver. I don't blame the map for this, but Civ4's rules about distance between cities. I feel the penalty to research is plenty enough to discourage spamming cities.

Marla_Singer said:
Rhye, I must confess you've made a brilliant job with that map. There's no more job to do !

Well, you couldn't help yourself to reduce the size of the oceans, but you were right to do so as it optimizes the map in a way impossible otherwise. To put it short, I won't bother about making my own map, yours is perfect. :goodjob:

So the map is shipped with the game right ? I've heard there was also a map of Europe, did you do it too ? Can we see screenshots of it ? :)

thank you, I'm happy to hear this!

in this page you find a comparison between my civ3 map and this one
http://rhyesciv.uw.hu/index2.php?nev=civ4.html
the former was strictly Robinson's projection, with a larger Europe.
This one is less similar to Robinson because I stretched the four angles, which are more similar to Miller now: this causes a better Pacific Ocean
Europe is slightly enlarged; Britain and Japan a little more.

Believe me, a larger map than this risks to be too slow; on the other hand, a different projection would make Europe too tiny (unplayable)

BTW, I didn't make the continents map. I think it was Trip but I'm not sure.

Looks great -- good job! :) Shame there's still a few days yet till Civ4 reaches the UK...

Nice work Rhye! I'll dl it as soon as I get Civ4 (after playing a few random maps).

This is a great map. Thanks for an updated map using all 18 civs. It's nice and accurate. The main problem is that Spain, France, German, Roman and Greek civs are so close to each other that they get into a stalemate very quickly.

I played around with the save files last night and made ones with raging barbarians, agressive ai and various victory conditions. It was also fun to space out some of the civs to other areas of the world albeit not historically accurate.

Nice, but it's too bad you've frozen over the infamous North-West passage
And it's weird that Tibet is unreachable, or that China cannot invade India ... and the seperation of Brazil and west-Andes
It's a bit odd to play.

Well you can always use the World Builder to add in small details like those. You figure that the Himalayas separate India and Tibet so that there shouldn't be an access corridor between them on the scale that the world map portrays. One could always add a line of hills through them though if you wanted to include the Silk Road.

The Incans really do get the shaft though hehe.

This map is awesome - thank you Rhye! :goodjob:

I changed one of the mountain tiles next to the Inca so they could be free.

Awsome job. I made only 1 adjustment, Washington as starting leader instead of Ros.. All credits to Rhye!

For those interested.. go ahead and grab it..

Attachments

• Earth18Civs.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 516
Yea Rhye:king: , I finally got some time to come back to the Forums. Good job. I feel that your MOD has freed up my weekend. I was just about to get geeky with CIV4 and try to accomplish this MOD. Been working so much that today is my first real chance to do anything with the game. I through a quick cut and paste CIV4 MOD together in my first 5 minutes of the game after I saw there was no Earth MOD like this. Then posted it. But trully it left a lot to be desired and then I come back and you've posted what I was going to start in on. :) So I guess I'll actually get to play the game. hehehe

If people complain it's only because they lack the technical knowledge to create there own MOD. Don't blame the MOD'er blame yourself for not spending your own time to create the MOD the way you would like to have it. -- Tbear2520

tbear2520, I don't think most people are criticizing Rhye's mod itself or the speed with which it was released. Rhye did an exceptional job with it and there isn't anything wrong with it whatsoever. It is far improved over the Earth map that shipped with CivIV. People are merely discussing ways to enhance it or to discuss slight gameplay issues that arise out of where civilizations truly did originate (which he did perfectly) which have nothing to do with the quality of Rhye's mod. His mod is historically accurate and uses the maximum number of civs as CivIV allows. Now we can start to work on enhancing it to hopefully allow all the gameplay options that all the standard random maps have upon game start.

edit: lol maybe I'm responding to tbear's sig?

Rhye said:
you should open the WBS, and delete the player data for the civs you don't want, with the ones you want to keep shifting up (compare this WBS and the standard Earth). Then, delete the "StartingPlot" line from the coordinates shown in the player data of the civs you have deleted.
It's easier to do than to explain

hi rhye....im not sure im quite understanding your directions...i tried this and the map crashes out everytime. is it ok for the teams to keep their numbering? do i have to do anything with the 'beginteam' section, delete those for the teams i delete below? also for startingplot do i just need to delete 'startingplot' or every reference to a city and unit belonging to that team? i guess im confused :confused:

as another option is there a possibility you could make a version where you can choose how many civs there instead? like the standard planet map but it just randomly selects however many civs to appear on the map?

its just that the 18 civ thing is way too many, 10-12 civs is my limit but i much prefer your map over the standard map with the game.

thanks.

upstart said:
its just that the 18 civ thing is way too many, 10-12 civs is my limit but i much prefer your map over the standard map with the game.

ShroudedMist said:
tbear2520, I don't think most people are criticizing Rhye's mod itself or the speed with which it was released. Rhye did an exceptional job with it and there isn't anything wrong with it whatsoever.

This map is the same that shipped with the game.
Let me explain:
When I drew this map some months ago, I left space for up to 18 civs.
Then Firaxis decided that it should have been used empty with 9 ancient civs, and with a full 1000AD scenario.

Due to your requests, I'm posting here the former, with all 18 starting locations.
But it's the same (my) map!!!

upstart said:
hi rhye....im not sure im quite understanding your directions...i tried this and the map crashes out everytime. is it ok for the teams to keep their numbering? do i have to do anything with the 'beginteam' section, delete those for the teams i delete below? also for startingplot do i just need to delete 'startingplot' or every reference to a city and unit belonging to that team? i guess im confused :confused:

Yes, delete corresponding team info as well.
Player info should contain only LeaderType=NONE, CivType=NONE and Team number.
And delete its Starting Plot link. Don't delete the plot! Delete just the word "Starting Plot", which you can find at the plots coordinates!

thanks for this, I was just about to add the rest of the civs myself.

We need a big Europe map >.>

Playing this map you really get a feel for how important the area between Sinai and Turkey (with Jerusalem smack in the middle) was geographically.

I eagerly await a huge Europe map as well. It's too bad the terrain functions of the World Builder are so slow though or we might see some showup faster.

Top Bottom