1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Economy Mod

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Valkrionn, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Not initially. The first version will just show what resources you have, how many are traded, and how many you gained from trade. Once that is working, I'll work on other tweaks to it. ;)

Trying to figure out the damn tab interface. :p

Actually, it allows you to queue things at the front of the queue, via a shift click, or wipe the queue and place just the new item via a ctrl-click.

I have no plans to increase base yields. I dislike that approach.

And the tech-queue will be improved. ;)

Sorry to hear that. As I said, next version will have it improved. :goodjob:

Sure! Go into your My Documents/My Games/Civ5/MODS/Economy Mod. All the source files come with the mod. ;)

That likely won't happen. I'll be adding things to improve that early game (which I do recognize), but will not reduce techs.

Let me explain my reasoning. I had no real issues with production as it was. At all. My issues were with techs; They were going by so fast that you could skip ever building some units! I hated that. :lol:

I can not just reduce reduce build speeds, as then you'd be flooded with units and have difficulty coordinating them. So I had to use a mix; Reduced costs, and increased tech costs. I may tweak the exact numbers a bit, but I will not reverse that change; It does exactly what I want, which is make each unit relevant, provide time for you to play each era fully. :p

2. Valkrionn

Heh. You replied while I did, but yeah, pretty much my reason for it. ;)

3. tokala

tokala Emperor

It seems that road maintenance it set to 0 with this mod. Is it intended? And if it is, should probably be mentioned in the first post. Or did I miss it somewhere :confused:

4. Valkrionn

It was not intended, no. I had been testing something for someone else (decimal maintenance; Not possible), and neglected to remove it before uploading it. It's gone in v2. ;)

5. Russiophile

Russiophile Markets Good, Govt. Bad!

Valkrionn,

This mod looks great. However, you mentioned the cost of roads and how the limited number was a let down.
    Me too. I like roads. Lot's of roads. Any chance you can tweak the cost of roads in your mod?

Many Thanks!

6. tokala

tokala Emperor

Isn't it an integral component of the Civ5 combat system that you DON'T have roads everywhere? A road network between the cities pays for itself, if you want more, you have to get the money for it from somewhere else. I like it :)
    Minor point: it would devaluate the Iroquois unique fast wood movement, and they are weak/situational enough anyway.

Potential bug: Farmed floodplains wheat tile 6:food: even without civil service, RifE yields in Civ5 :mischief:

7. Valkrionn

No, roads are going back to default maintenance. I don't have a problem with them, I was just testing something that wasn't working for someone else.

On the floodplains: I know. Right now all those resources do is improve the tile, so it SHOULD have a strong effect. It will change when they have other benefits. ;)

8. Puer

Puer Warlord

Until there is no v.2, just search ....\Docs\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Economy Mod (v 1)\XML\GameInfo\ImprovedWealth.xml

and edit this (those are default vanilla values, you can just copy-paste):
    PHP:
        <Routes>
            <
    Update>
                <
    Set GoldMaintenance="1" />
                <
    Where Type="ROUTE_ROAD" />
            </
    Update>
            <
    Update>
                <
    Set GoldMaintenance="2" />
                <
    Where Type="ROUTE_RAILROAD" />
            </
    Update>        
        </
    Routes>
    or just delete this update section from ImprovedWealth.xml ;)

Btw, thanks Valkrionn for great balance mod. I like it :king:

9. Abremms

Abremms Prince

is it possible to set the tech progression on a curve, so it gets through the ancient era a bit quicker, thn slows down in the classic? maybe not the best idea... could be better to just add more stuff to do in the ancient era. either way, i think the tech rate works quite well for most of the game, but I have to agree that the first couple dozen turns can drag a bit.

10. Valkrionn

That works, yeah. ;) Easier to just delete it though.

Possible, but not via a flat modifier like I used. My tech adjustments took one line of sql. :lol:

11. Nicky21

Nicky21 Chieftain

Is it just me or have the turn times increased when using this mod? It als ads a short period when the game is completely unresponsive....

12. Necro-

Necro- Chieftain

yea as abremms said like the slower pace but its a bit too slow in ancient era, where ur kinda stuck 10-15 turns on standard speed to get a new structure, then another 14ish turns to get the next tech meanwhile your forced to just build warriors and then sell them as you can't do anything.

another idea if a curved approach si possible would be having the early non-military techs take shorter amount of time to get the game rolling, things like pottery, calender, the wheel being researched quite quickly so u can actually start developing ciites.

for example in my game i got maybe 8-10 techs by turn 100, and i hadn't even gotten to the classical era!

13. Puer

Puer Warlord

Necro- don't sell warriors, make war ;) Enjoy ancient wars! U can always build workers & settlers also if you are not into war...

14. Necro-

Necro- Chieftain

well i mean at this point im refering to pretty much all i have is warriors

and in this particular game i was making warriors every 2 turns.

as for settlers thats an idea, but the problem is overexpansion. the ait ends to overexpand i had 2 cities each ai next to me had 3-5.

now, as i said the slow rate is good, but imho it should only really be that slow after a certain tech...say starting classical or medieval era

15. skrewler

skrewler Chieftain

Could you comment on this? I read through the whole thread and the author of the Luxury Resource view asked to remove it. Some people flamed him for it, I don't really think that's fair to the author. I agree with him.

It just doesn't make sense to incorporate other peoples mods into your economy mod. If you want the extra features, then download their mods separately. Will your project just continue to add people's mods that you think are useful?

If this was a collection of mods it might be a different story. If someone is maintaining a modpack that included your economy mod and some other ones that he's keeping up to date and done some testing/hacking to make sure everything is compatible, then I think that would be useful.

As it stands now, your mod includes another authors mod that contains bugs.

If you have some good reason for packaging these other mods with yours, I'd like to hear it.

Also wanted to tell you, thanks for your economy mod. I did a playthrough and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

16. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

I believe Valkrionn stated that if he DIDN'T include the mod list into his mod, it would be incompatible. Some mods are incompatible with each other because of the files they modify, and the only way to reconcile this is to merge them manually and include them together.

17. Russiophile

Russiophile Markets Good, Govt. Bad!

Thanks guy!

18. Valkrionn

I'm going to add more to do in the early game, and it is easily possible to check for the era of a tech, so I'll probably do that as well.

Mostly because it is a UI addition that I feel should be added to the main game in some form or another (If I can get these tabs working, that would be a better way to do it, however).

In the case of the buildqueue mod, it is a modification of existing files, and thus not modular. Meaning if in the future I do anything to those files, it is no longer compatible with my mod; Easier to include it, since I like it (granted, there are issues, and I will be working on those). The other one is actually modular, and yes, can be removed. I simply view UI additions as so core to the game that I'd like to include them where possible.

As I've said numerous times, I am not making this mod purely to release it. I am making this mod so I have a way to test the suggestions I've made to the devs (keep in mind, I was and still am one of the testers), and gauge the response to said changes. If I see an addition that I feel should be in the core game, I will merge it or add my own variant of it. That is simply the nature of this mod.

Nah, that one was an addition and was entirely modular as a result. I just believe there should be some kind of resource display.

19. Necro-

Necro- Chieftain

i'd recommend adding a readme and stating which addon mods (eg luxury list) is included as-in (no changes) and which version, for example if you added say the luxury addon but had to change something it's not as easy to update as say if you just include it say v2 and a new version comes out it's simple enough to update it.

20. darkedone02

darkedone02 The Suggestor

well at least my trainer help make me get unlimited gold so I don't have to worry about losing money when you got so much. In Vanilla, on continent, if you conquer the whole island, and try to build every single building, I get around -200 gold income. I have not conquer any of the cities states, instead I ally all of them, and I annex most of the capitol cities and raze the rest of the cities. I was still trying to colonize the whole continent.