Economy Mod

Many thanx for this mod! I'm using it as my new standard, combined with Kaels Queen of the Iceni (for the large single unit graphics).

Production and research are now balanced much better, lots more fun than Vanilla!

The only issue I have is the annoying building queue, which you're already working on, I see. And I'm really looking forward to the new resource display. Will it also show which civ I'm trading a resource with and, even more important, who will trade a certain resource? This feature from Civ4 is what I'm missing most - as is now, I have to check each civ manually to find who will trade for my surplus resource... :mad:

Not initially. The first version will just show what resources you have, how many are traded, and how many you gained from trade. Once that is working, I'll work on other tweaks to it. ;)

Trying to figure out the damn tab interface. :p

First of all: i'm gonna love your mod, when the queue bug is fixed (TBH i dont even get what is special about that its just the basic queue (it seems to me) from CiV but enabled from the start and...wel...not working).

I've tried the other econ mods, the most i played with was the extra yields mod, and ive learnt a few things from that. First of all: King difficulty feels like immortal, especially if you dont go on a conquering spree right at the start, cause with extra food and gold + the AI cheats your enemies will be so friggin strong that you will be behind 15-20 techs by the industrial age. I have no problems whatsoever staying on top of the demographics in vanilla on king difficulty (uuntil one of the AI-s takes over a whole continent and has like 50-100 cities), but with just a little added gold (that mod gives 3G on TP-s) and food they take off. I've stopped most of my games around the renaissance, cause i was 10-12th in all areas every damn time.

What i want to say with this: do not increase food and gold yields any more in your mod, cause it will make the game friggin impossible on higher difficulties than prince. Especially that with the gazillion gold the AI-s amass they have research pacts left and right. But i think you are on the right track with your changes. (although i'm kidna getting the feeling that the only things that need a change from vanilla are resource yields and tech speed, both of which you seem to have nailed.

And pretty pls remove teh queue thingy until its fixed...i really wanna play your mod, but right now i just cant, it annoys me to tears :)

Actually, it allows you to queue things at the front of the queue, via a shift click, or wipe the queue and place just the new item via a ctrl-click.

I have no plans to increase base yields. I dislike that approach.

And the tech-queue will be improved. ;)

I have downloaded this mod but yeah, the broken queue thingo has stopped me from trying. Wish we could remove it.

Sorry to hear that. As I said, next version will have it improved. :goodjob:

Great job!

is it possible to get the source files to make changes myself?

Sure! Go into your My Documents/My Games/Civ5/MODS/Economy Mod. All the source files come with the mod. ;)

Oh.

This mod is exactly (well, close enough) what I just requested in another thread. Awesome.

However, I thought technology rate is just fine in Vanilla version of the game. However, what I didn't like of, was the production speed of units and buildings.

With this mod the early game is just plainly boring. You can just sit around and click next turn as you wait that your workers can actually do something. This mod, I'm trying to be honest here, cures the production problem, but replaces it with a tech problem.

For my taste technology rate should be decreased back to its Vanilla form. Otherwise things look fairly good. But there are still a lot of players who enjoy fast games. Maybe some other mod is meant to please us. But anyway, great job here.

Keep up the good work.

That likely won't happen. I'll be adding things to improve that early game (which I do recognize), but will not reduce techs.

Let me explain my reasoning. I had no real issues with production as it was. At all. My issues were with techs; They were going by so fast that you could skip ever building some units! I hated that. :lol:

I can not just reduce reduce build speeds, as then you'd be flooded with units and have difficulty coordinating them. So I had to use a mix; Reduced costs, and increased tech costs. I may tweak the exact numbers a bit, but I will not reverse that change; It does exactly what I want, which is make each unit relevant, provide time for you to play each era fully. :p

It seems that road maintenance it set to 0 with this mod. Is it intended? And if it is, should probably be mentioned in the first post. Or did I miss it somewhere :confused:

Valkrionn,

This mod looks great. However, you mentioned the cost of roads and how the limited number was a let down.
Me too. I like roads. Lot's of roads. Any chance you can tweak the cost of roads in your mod?

Many Thanks!

Valkrionn,

This mod looks great. However, you mentioned the cost of roads and how the limited number was a let down.
Me too. I like roads. Lot's of roads. Any chance you can tweak the cost of roads in your mod?

Many Thanks!

Isn't it an integral component of the Civ5 combat system that you DON'T have roads everywhere? A road network between the cities pays for itself, if you want more, you have to get the money for it from somewhere else. I like it :)
Minor point: it would devaluate the Iroquois unique fast wood movement, and they are weak/situational enough anyway.

Potential bug: Farmed floodplains wheat tile 6:food: even without civil service, RifE yields in Civ5 :mischief:

No, roads are going back to default maintenance. I don't have a problem with them, I was just testing something that wasn't working for someone else.

On the floodplains: I know. Right now all those resources do is improve the tile, so it SHOULD have a strong effect. It will change when they have other benefits. ;)

Valkrionn,
Any chance you can tweak the cost of roads in your mod?

Many Thanks!

Until there is no v.2, just search ....\Docs\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Economy Mod (v 1)\XML\GameInfo\ImprovedWealth.xml

and edit this (those are default vanilla values, you can just copy-paste):
PHP:
    <Routes>
        <Update>
            <Set GoldMaintenance="1" />
            <Where Type="ROUTE_ROAD" />
        </Update>
        <Update>
            <Set GoldMaintenance="2" />
            <Where Type="ROUTE_RAILROAD" />
        </Update>        
    </Routes>
or just delete this update section from ImprovedWealth.xml ;)

Btw, thanks Valkrionn for great balance mod. I like it :king:

Let me explain my reasoning. I had no real issues with production as it was. At all. My issues were with techs; They were going by so fast that you could skip ever building some units! I hated that. :lol:

I can not just reduce reduce build speeds, as then you'd be flooded with units and have difficulty coordinating them. So I had to use a mix; Reduced costs, and increased tech costs. I may tweak the exact numbers a bit, but I will not reverse that change; It does exactly what I want, which is make each unit relevant, provide time for you to play each era fully. :p

is it possible to set the tech progression on a curve, so it gets through the ancient era a bit quicker, thn slows down in the classic? maybe not the best idea... could be better to just add more stuff to do in the ancient era. either way, i think the tech rate works quite well for most of the game, but I have to agree that the first couple dozen turns can drag a bit.

Until there is no v.2, just search ....\Docs\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS\Economy Mod (v 1)\XML\GameInfo\ImprovedWealth.xml

PHP:
    <Routes>
        <Update>
        </Update>
        <Update>
        </Update>        
    </Routes>

That works, yeah. ;) Easier to just delete it though.

is it possible to set the tech progression on a curve, so it gets through the ancient era a bit quicker, thn slows down in the classic? maybe not the best idea... could be better to just add more stuff to do in the ancient era. either way, i think the tech rate works quite well for most of the game, but I have to agree that the first couple dozen turns can drag a bit.

Possible, but not via a flat modifier like I used. My tech adjustments took one line of sql. :lol:

Is it just me or have the turn times increased when using this mod? It als ads a short period when the game is completely unresponsive....

yea as abremms said like the slower pace but its a bit too slow in ancient era, where ur kinda stuck 10-15 turns on standard speed to get a new structure, then another 14ish turns to get the next tech meanwhile your forced to just build warriors and then sell them as you can't do anything.

another idea if a curved approach si possible would be having the early non-military techs take shorter amount of time to get the game rolling, things like pottery, calender, the wheel being researched quite quickly so u can actually start developing ciites.

for example in my game i got maybe 8-10 techs by turn 100, and i hadn't even gotten to the classical era!

Necro- don't sell warriors, make war ;) Enjoy ancient wars! U can always build workers & settlers also if you are not into war...

well i mean at this point im refering to pretty much all i have is warriors

and in this particular game i was making warriors every 2 turns.

as for settlers thats an idea, but the problem is overexpansion. the ait ends to overexpand i had 2 cities each ai next to me had 3-5.

now, as i said the slow rate is good, but imho it should only really be that slow after a certain tech...say starting classical or medieval era

EDIT: Why are you incorporating other peoples mods into yours? Are the authors updating their mods through you or something?

Could you comment on this? I read through the whole thread and the author of the Luxury Resource view asked to remove it. Some people flamed him for it, I don't really think that's fair to the author. I agree with him.

It just doesn't make sense to incorporate other peoples mods into your economy mod. If you want the extra features, then download their mods separately. Will your project just continue to add people's mods that you think are useful?

If this was a collection of mods it might be a different story. If someone is maintaining a modpack that included your economy mod and some other ones that he's keeping up to date and done some testing/hacking to make sure everything is compatible, then I think that would be useful.

As it stands now, your mod includes another authors mod that contains bugs.

If you have some good reason for packaging these other mods with yours, I'd like to hear it.

Also wanted to tell you, thanks for your economy mod. I did a playthrough and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

Could you comment on this? I read through the whole thread and the author of the Luxury Resource view asked to remove it. Some people flamed him for it, I don't really think that's fair to the author. I agree with him.

It just doesn't make sense to incorporate other peoples mods into your economy mod. If you want the extra features, then download their mods separately. Will your project just continue to add people's mods that you think are useful?

If this was a collection of mods it might be a different story. If someone is maintaining a modpack that included your economy mod and some other ones that he's keeping up to date and done some testing/hacking to make sure everything is compatible, then I think that would be useful.

If you have some good reason for packaging these other mods with yours, I'd like to hear it.

Also wanted to tell you, thanks for your economy mod. I did a playthrough and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

I believe Valkrionn stated that if he DIDN'T include the mod list into his mod, it would be incompatible. Some mods are incompatible with each other because of the files they modify, and the only way to reconcile this is to merge them manually and include them together.

PHP:
    <Routes>
        <Update>
        </Update>
        <Update>
        </Update>        
    </Routes>

Thanks guy!

well i mean at this point im refering to pretty much all i have is warriors

and in this particular game i was making warriors every 2 turns.

as for settlers thats an idea, but the problem is overexpansion. the ait ends to overexpand i had 2 cities each ai next to me had 3-5.

now, as i said the slow rate is good, but imho it should only really be that slow after a certain tech...say starting classical or medieval era

I'm going to add more to do in the early game, and it is easily possible to check for the era of a tech, so I'll probably do that as well.

Mostly because it is a UI addition that I feel should be added to the main game in some form or another (If I can get these tabs working, that would be a better way to do it, however).

In the case of the buildqueue mod, it is a modification of existing files, and thus not modular. Meaning if in the future I do anything to those files, it is no longer compatible with my mod; Easier to include it, since I like it (granted, there are issues, and I will be working on those). The other one is actually modular, and yes, can be removed. I simply view UI additions as so core to the game that I'd like to include them where possible.

As I've said numerous times, I am not making this mod purely to release it. I am making this mod so I have a way to test the suggestions I've made to the devs (keep in mind, I was and still am one of the testers), and gauge the response to said changes. If I see an addition that I feel should be in the core game, I will merge it or add my own variant of it. That is simply the nature of this mod.

I believe Valkrionn stated that if he DIDN'T include the mod list into his mod, it would be incompatible. Some mods are incompatible with each other because of the files they modify, and the only way to reconcile this is to merge them manually and include them together.

Nah, that one was an addition and was entirely modular as a result. I just believe there should be some kind of resource display.

i'd recommend adding a readme and stating which addon mods (eg luxury list) is included as-in (no changes) and which version, for example if you added say the luxury addon but had to change something it's not as easy to update as say if you just include it say v2 and a new version comes out it's simple enough to update it.

well at least my trainer help make me get unlimited gold so I don't have to worry about losing money when you got so much. In Vanilla, on continent, if you conquer the whole island, and try to build every single building, I get around -200 gold income. I have not conquer any of the cities states, instead I ally all of them, and I annex most of the capitol cities and raze the rest of the cities. I was still trying to colonize the whole continent.

Top Bottom