Effective Commerical Managment...

Originally posted by jesperwh
In addition to your thread.
"Trade the AI a lump sum of say 3001 gold for 150gpt. The deal will last 20 turns so technically you will be getting (150*20=3000) 3000 of that gold back... give them the extra 1 gold to make sure they accept the deal. As you may know... The AI will move it's slider to where it is making an even amount of gpt/research tubes. This will decrease the AI research allowing you to take a lead (and with the 150gpt you just got... you should be doing pretty good ). If you wait a turn you could even repeat the process with less money (as the AI prolly won't be making as much as last time).

Why not just loan the AI some money with interest. i have used it many times, especially large nations in war are easy targets for some good rates. And to make sure war is not declared simply make another trade, an outdated resource is good.

When playing the harder levels taking your science in a specific direction is a good way to get economy back on track

That is pretty much what your doing... is giving the AI a loan to be paid back.

Ok, I'm going to try to do one more test over PTW before I start on Conquests, but I'm going to need some help with it.

Does someone have a save where all the cities are at the max 2 tiles apart? (close-build). I only play where the cities are 3-4 tiles apart so I can compare one of those games to mine to find out the advantage's/disadvantages to both. (and the other differant city-placement strats).

A loan of 3001 gp for 150 gpt is not an equal return.

3001 gp today has far more value than 150 gpt for 20 turns. This is called the Time Value of Money. With 3001 gp, you can buy numerous city improvements and units and obtain the benefit of those purchases for 20 turns. 3001 gp will buy numerous marketplaces, banks, stock markets, etc., with a tremendous increase in income fo 20 turns. If you were to purchase ten extra marketplaces, waiting for 1 turn of production to get the 50% discount and 1 more turn to start getting additional income, would easily produce 10 extra gpt for 18 turns, or 180 gp.

Additionally, loaning 3001 can cost you up to 50 gpt if youhave Wall Street and the loan takes you down to 0 gp in your treasury. If you don't spend any of the 150 gpt you get, it will take 6 turns to get back above 1000 gp in the treasury and get the full benefit of Wall Street. During that time you will have eraned 120 gp in interest from Wall Street, whereas you would have earned 300 gp if you didn't spend your entire treasury, for a loss of 180 gp. Accordingly, even if thinking about this practice, keep 1000 gp.

Lastly, as mentioned, getting a loan of 150 gpt increases the likelihood that the Debtor AI will go to war, since this is the only way to default on a loan in Civ 3 (A realistic improvement would allow a nation the choice of declaring war in the event of a default, with a loss of reputation either way.)

The solution to these two dilemmas, risk and the time value of money, in the real world is interest. (Despite what your credit card companies may think, interest is not intended to equal profits.)

Even a modest 8% interest rate would require 160.77 gpt. Considering the risk of war and default, a more reasonable 15% interest rate would require 170.52 gpt. Even then the extra 410 gp earned, would be offset by the 180 gp loss from Wall Street and 180 gp from lost marketplaces, leaving interest income of only 50 gp over 20 turns, hardly a good return, even if it hamstrings the AI’s research.

Considering that the AI doesn’t amortize loans or take any of the above considerations into account, its unlikely that the AI would ever agree to 170 gpt in exchange for 3001 gp.

Originally posted by edboltz
A loan of 3001 gp for 150 gpt is not an equal return.

3001 gp today has far more value than 150 gpt for 20 turns. This is called the Time Value of Money. With 3001 gp, you can buy numerous city improvements and units and obtain the benefit of those purchases for 20 turns. 3001 gp will buy numerous marketplaces, banks, stock markets, etc., with a tremendous increase in income fo 20 turns. If you were to purchase ten extra marketplaces, waiting for 1 turn of production to get the 50% discount and 1 more turn to start getting additional income, would easily produce 10 extra gpt for 18 turns, or 180 gp.

Additionally, loaning 3001 can cost you up to 50 gpt if youhave Wall Street and the loan takes you down to 0 gp in your treasury. If you don't spend any of the 150 gpt you get, it will take 6 turns to get back above 1000 gp in the treasury and get the full benefit of Wall Street. During that time you will have eraned 120 gp in interest from Wall Street, whereas you would have earned 300 gp if you didn't spend your entire treasury, for a loss of 180 gp. Accordingly, even if thinking about this practice, keep 1000 gp.

Lastly, as mentioned, getting a loan of 150 gpt increases the likelihood that the Debtor AI will go to war, since this is the only way to default on a loan in Civ 3 (A realistic improvement would allow a nation the choice of declaring war in the event of a default, with a loss of reputation either way.)

The solution to these two dilemmas, risk and the time value of money, in the real world is interest. (Despite what your credit card companies may think, interest is not intended to equal profits.)

Even a modest 8% interest rate would require 160.77 gpt. Considering the risk of war and default, a more reasonable 15% interest rate would require 170.52 gpt. Even then the extra 410 gp earned, would be offset by the 180 gp loss from Wall Street and 180 gp from lost marketplaces, leaving interest income of only 50 gp over 20 turns, hardly a good return, even if it hamstrings the AI’s research.

Considering that the AI doesn’t amortize loans or take any of the above considerations into account, its unlikely that the AI would ever agree to 170 gpt in exchange for 3001 gp.

Like I said above, the 3000g vs 150gpt was just an easily calculated example. It will likly me much smaller sums.

Also, let me point out that an increase to the AI's commercial rate can help you as they will have more money to spend on techs/lux's. (of course... it can harm you also). Another thing would be getting the extra 150gpt will allow you to bring your science/lux rate up higher. Also, the AI tends to use the extra money to rush units... not improvements in there cities. This would obviously further damage the AI's economy by the increase in military upkeep (depending on what form of government the AI is in). As far as I know I have never seen any instance's where the AI has rushed any form of improvement and if there is one, I doubt the AI does it often.

Of course the extra units the AI pop rushes can benefit the AI's economy if he uses them to capture your cities (or other AI cities)

Originally posted by edboltz
Of course the extra units the AI pop rushes can benefit the AI's economy if he uses them to capture your cities (or other AI cities)

True, but the AI is extremely bad at launching attacks and they are easily defended off with the right amount of defense. Also, the majority of the time giving a lump sum of gold for a gpt amount will be during the times where you give them 70g for 3gpt. 70g will have little effect on the AI's economy, by time large sums start to be traded most AI's have 3-5 units defending each of there cities, so an attack against another AI will prolly cost them alot also and I would believe a human brian will beable to calculate and counter-attack effectivly.

Does anyone know how city size effects a Commercial civ's commerce, in real numbers? I'm in the middle of GOTM28, trying to dig myself out of a hole, and this might effect my strategy. I've noticed that there's a big jump, once you're a City (ie: pop 7 to 12), is there another big jump once you're a Metropolis (pop 13+)?

As far as I know a Commercial civ gets one additional gold piece from the city centre square of any city greater than size 6. Not a *big* step up! Apart from lower corruption (see Alexman's thread for the formula), that's it. Of course, I may be wrong.

Originally posted by AlanH
As far as I know a Commercial civ gets one additional gold piece from the city centre square of any city greater than size 6. Not a *big* step up! Apart from lower corruption (see Alexman's thread for the formula), that's it. Of course, I may be wrong.

If I'm thinking right (haven't tested) you get +1 commerce for size 6-12 and +2 for 12 and higher.

Originally posted by Strider

If I'm thinking right (haven't tested) you get +1 commerce for size 6-12 and +2 for 12 and higher.

Pretty useless if you play tiny or small maps (to few cities), but when you get into the huge maps and a small empire is 20+ cities, then it has a huge effect.

Originally posted by Strider

Pretty useless if you play tiny or small maps (to few cities), but when you get into the huge maps and a small empire is 20+ cities, then it has a huge effect.
I'm not sure I understand why the number of cities makes a difference. Each city between pop 6 and pop 12 will contribute an additional gpt. If it's already producing 1 to 2 gpt per worked tile then this gives a 10%-ish effect on gross income, however many cities you have. Do we know if this extra gold is reduced by corruption, or does it go straight to the bottom line?

Originally posted by AlanH

I'm not sure I understand why the number of cities makes a difference. Each city between pop 6 and pop 12 will contribute an additional gpt. If it's already producing 1 to 2 gpt per worked tile then this gives a 10%-ish effect on gross income, however many cities you have. Do we know if this extra gold is reduced by corruption, or does it go straight to the bottom line?

+1 or +1 uncorrupted.

The more cities you have the large effect it has, as huge maps our bigger (and tend to fit more cities as such) the effect is more noticable.

Top Bottom