El Justo's Cookbook Thread

El Justo said:
update on post #2.
:clap: Oh well done! Now it's looking like a cook book!

Here is one for the Desserts section:

COCONUT PLANTAIN SLICES

This is very quick, quite cheap and very delicious as a dessert. You can do this as a stand alone dessert or combine this along with cakes, biscuits or take it to any other kind of sweet dish.

Ingredients:
(Serves 2 people)

~ 3 x Cooking Plantains (note that these are quite different from normal bananas. They are bigger, the skin is greyer and they taste like s*ite if you eat them raw.)
~ 1 x Packet of Dessicated Coconut (that's the little flakes)
~ 3 x Tablespoons of Brown Sugar.
~ Cinnamon Powder.
~ Coconut cooking oil.
~ Single Cream (optional - it's quite rich with cream IMO but it can provide some sauce to this otherwise dry dish)

The Method:

(Again I will provide the steps in an order which allows you to prepare the dish in the quickest time, I'm just that kind of guy.)

Step 1

Turn your gas on to a low heat (always low heat for this recipe) and start warming a frying pan of coconut oil. Just enough to lightly cover the base of your pan. Sprinkle some cinnamon powder into the oil to start releasing some of that flavour. Let that heat while you....

Step 2
Peel the plantain and open them up so you have the whole 'naked' plantain before you. Now slice them in as broad a diagonal as you can manage - this gives a greater surface area for cooking, helps flavour absorption and makes for good presentation. Each slice needs to be of even thickness to allow even cooking. I recommend slices of about 2cm max.

Step 3
Place your nice wide slices onto the hot oil. Now immediately sprinkle enough of your dessicated coconut to cover each slice generously. Also sprinkle the brown sugar on at this point - you want some caramelisation action - so again, be generous. And if you can't smell any cinnamon at this point, you need to put more on. Now while it is cooking....

Step 4
Prepare your plates and kiss your GF, BF, husband, wife, date. Do whatever. If you spend longer than 5 minutes on this then you are likely to burn your plantains (this shouldn't be a problem for some of you guys :D )

Step 5
Now go back to the frying pan and find that the plantain has browned nicely underneath (they are ready when they brown enough to look attractive, much like cheese toast or pizza say). Turn them all over and repeat step 3.

Step 6
They are ready! Serve them up on a plate and add a few more sprinkles of coconut and cinnamon for garnish. You can also pour some cream on them but this is a bit much IMO.

Bom apetite!!! (A Brazilian taught me this dish)

COCONUT PLANTAIN SLICES - WITH A SMILE

By adding just one extra ingredient into the process, you can transform this dish into something else entirely. That ingredient is RUM. Dark Rum preferably.

Do exactly as above but change the following:

Step 5

This comes when you are turning the slices over. Pour about 20cl of Rum into the pan, double the amount of cream as that, together with the Coconut Flakes and Cinnamon. Let that all heat (more heat at first to get it going but then bring it back down to gentle). You need to visit the pan more regularly to keep stirring it around.

Step 6
You need to fish the cooked slices out and continue to stir up 'the sauce', cos you can't really do it when the slices are in the pan. Do that and pour it over your slices and then complete the presentation.

It is much trickier to get this right but it knocks your socks off if you do it well and you will.

15 July recipe!

The Arnold Palmer

i learned of this beverage during my days in the restaurant biz. it is named after the legendary american golfer who was known to down this combo quite often. anyways, this fanciful summer-time beverage is idiotically easy to prepare...

ingredients & utensils:
half gallon of fresh brewed iced tea
half gallon of fresh lemonade (from concentrate is ok)
lemon wedges
ice
1 gallon pitcher

directions:
- pour the 1/2 gallon of iced tea into the 1 gallon pitcher
- pour the 1/2 gallon of lemonade into the 1 gallon pitcher
- stir vigorously
- put the pitcher into the fridge to chill

serving directions:
- fill tall pint glass w/ ice and pour your mixture in!
- garnish w/ a lemon wedge if desired

it's that easy!

now, for those who wish to 'kick it up a notch', i recommend the following:

fyi: John Daly is another american golfer, though not nearly as famous as Arnie, who is infamous for his 'wet' rounds of golf and his lust for booze.

The John Daly

ingredients & utensils:
- same as above plus a bottle of your favorite vodka and a jigger (measures liquor pours) :mischief:

directions:
- same as above

serving directions:
- same as above however, leave about 2 fingers worth of space at the top of the filled glass.
- now, pour about an ounce of vodka into the drink (traditional jiggers here in the states are 1.25 oz), garnish w/ a lemon wedge and voila! there you have one of the most refreshing alcoholic summer time beverages ever sampled!

El Justo

El J - Can you just clarify the method on the Arnold Palmer please? You only stir vigourously? Not gently? When exactly do you do this? ;)

Rambuchan said:
El J - Can you just clarify the method on the Arnold Palmer please? You only stir vigourously? Not gently? When exactly do you do this? ;)
after the tea & lemonade are mixed together.

this is a delicious drink btw. it's also known as a 'Half & Half'.

El Justo said:
after the tea & lemonade are mixed together.

this is a delicious drink btw. it's also known as a 'Half & Half'.
Hahaha. Thanks for getting back to me I was in a bit of a quandry there :mischief: . Great simple recipe El J, very good.

As for 'half & half', that makes me shudder with its associations with a 'black & tan' (which is utter blasphemy in this country).

El Justo said:
what is its proper name?
It's not the name that we have a problem with mate. It's the drink itself (black & tan). The very idea of mixing Guiness with anything is an utter outrage in itself in Britain.

Rambuchan said:
It's not the name that we have a problem with mate. It's the drink itself (black & tan). The very idea of mixing Guiness with anything is an utter outrage in itself in Britain.
i see. i prefer straight Guiness myself to those Black & Tans. :cool:

Steak Darkshade with Cruel Potatoes, Rumbled Bits, Garlic Minions, Doomed Greens and Salad

1.) Teh Meat
Take 1 large ribeye or equivalent steak (1.5" thick, around 1lb), well hung.
Administer the first marinade of Worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar. Let it soak for a few hours. Dry it lightly.
Administer the second and greater marinade. Combine measures of tomato juice, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, tabasco sauce, paprika, garlic, oregano, black pepper, lemon juice, two teaspoons of honey and two or three shots of aquavit. Again, let it soak, turning the meat on occasion.
(The aim in this is to 'wash' the steak, so that layers of flavour can build up, as well as to generally flavour and tenderize)
Remove from marinade, dry it slightly more firmly, and administer the final rub - sea salt, black pepper, dill, tarragon, garlic and paprika.
Grill or chargrill until rare to medium rare and serve with remoulade sauce.

2.) Cruel Potatoes
Have a servant scrub and peel potatoes. Once this is done, have them lightly parboiled for a very short time. Then have them removed, dried and sliced thinly almost the whole way through in the manner of Swedish Hasselback potatoes. Place in a roasting tray and adorn with olive oil, salt, pepper, a light sprinkle of some dry anchovy paste and a small dash of finely grated Parmesan. Roast until done and crispy; usually some half hour to forty minutes.

3.) Rumbled Bits
Beat together 6 eggs, salt, pepper, two teaspoons of water. Add to 1/2 ounce of melted butter and stir a few times. Add a dash of tabasco and some very finely minced garlic. Add further diced ham and small slivers of crisp bacon. Place mixture in a bowl and place ye this bowl in a saucepan of boiling water over a low level of heat, possibly provided by burning communists. Stir occasionally. When done, serve in 3-4 small spherical shapes with the aid of a spoon from the Directorate of Spoons.

4.) Garlic Minions
Chop finely just over half an onion, a small handful of mushrooms and three cloves of garlic. Sautee in oil until caramelized. Serve.

5.) Doomed Greens and Salad
Mix iceberg lettuce, spinach, watercress, rocket, dill and parsley. Add small cubes of Stilton and Cheddar, shredded Parma ham, cherry tomatoes and spring onions. Make ye a dressing of a clove of garlic, wholegrain mustard, pepper, lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and dress the salad.

This is a main course, should be proceeded by a light soup (Brown Windsor or thin mulligatawny), and a light entree of smoked salmon with Swedish kaviar on rye bread followed by a savoury of some pickled herring, and concluded by a fruit sorbet with frangipane cream. Cherry Herring to begin; Krug champagne with soup; chardonnay with entree; a decent Burgundy or claret with main; aquavit with herring; white muscat with dessert;port, coffee, Armagnac and a Monte Cristo cigar.

El Justo said:
i see. i prefer straight Guiness myself to those Black & Tans. :cool:
Sorry for missing this comment and thanks to Simon for bring the thread up with a great recipe. I'm due to move house soon and that could well be a one of the first cooked meals (especially the accessories!)

Anyway, that's a great relief to hear El J. It somewhat makes up from your shoulderpad fetish. You're not a bad 'bloke' after all :lol:.

Rambuchan said:
Sorry for missing this comment and thanks to Simon for bring the thread up with a great recipe. I'm due to move house soon and that could well be a one of the first cooked meals (especially the accessories!)

Anyway, that's a great relief to hear El J. It somewhat makes up from your shoulderpad fetish. You're not a bad 'bloke' after all :lol:.
ha! silly rabbit!

yes, a pint of Guiness is like a meal for me.

thank you Mr. Darkshade! another fine recipe.

post #2 updated!

[offtopic]@Ram
whatever happened w/ your mughal scenario w/ luddi?

El Justo said:
ha! silly rabbit!

yes, a pint of Guiness is like a meal for me.

thank you Mr. Darkshade! another fine recipe.

post #2 updated!

[offtopic]@Ram
whatever happened w/ your mughal scenario w/ luddi?
Check your PMs in about an hour.

Salad Dressing :

1 unit balasmic vinegar
1 unit vinegar of choice
1 unit lemon juice

3 units water

5 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped.

4-5 bay leaves

3 tablespoon oregano
3 tablespoon thyme

Put dry ingredients and garlic into large jar, add
liquids. Put lid on jar, shake thoroughly. Let
sit for 24 hours to allow flavors to leach into the
liquid, and mix. Does not need refrigeration.

NOTES : I keep the oil separate from the dressing; this
gives flexibility for guests who don't like fats,
or conversely like to use mostly oil.

The spice & garlic quantities are baseline values. Adjust to taste.

Quick & dirty dinner for one

1 chicken thigh, or 1/2 breast.

4 cups fresh spinach, or 1 cup frozen.

4 cloves garlic.

1/2 cup pasta (uncooked). NOTE : For reduced carb folks,
substitute 1 cup sliced fresh or fresh
frozen green beans (Canned don't work well
flavorwise).

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon butter (optional)
2 teaspoons oregano.
~1 tablespoon lemon juice
~1 tablespoon chile paste.
Salt to taste

Slice chicken into smallish pieces.
If fresh, Coarsely chop spinach.
Crush or fine chop garlic.

If using pasta, get pasta water boiling, and put pasta in water.
The idea is to try to time things so that the pasta is done a bit before
the rest.

In a preheated sautee pan or wok, add the olive oil and butter.
When the butter has melted, sautee the chicken until no raw meat is
visible, but not fully done. If serving over pasta, cook longer than
if using green beans. (And no, there's no reason you can't use both).

If using green beans, add now, and sautee ~1 minute.

Add garlic, sautee for another minute or so.

Add spinach, and chile paste. Sautee until spinach has wilted (fresh),
or has thoroughly heated (fresh frozen).

Add lemon juice and salt and stir in. Let heat for 30 sec or so.

Serve. Goes well with a bit of feta cheese.

Should take <= 30 minutes to make.

As with the salad dressing, the amounts are baseline values;
adjust according to your appetite and tastes.

No typo, El Justo. I really do use 2 types of vinegar.
Although it won't hurt my feelings if one would rather
only use 1 type of vinegar.

And I did say I do the oil (olive of course) separately. ;)

Serutan said:
No typo, El Justo. I really do use 2 types of vinegar.
Although it won't hurt my feelings if one would rather
only use 1 type of vinegar.

And I did say I do the oil (olive of course) separately. ;)
my bad!
`

As mentioned and promised earlier in this thread, I moved to a new place and have been cooking again with greater vigour and inspiration! I said I would share some of the wonders. So here are the recipies for a very simple but delicately delicious meal I cooked over the weekend:

Starting with............................Starters

SWEET PEA & MINT SOUP

Ingredients:
Serves 3 people

2 x Different Small Bags of Fresh Garden Peas or 2 Different Cans of Garden Peas.
1 x Tablespoon of Sugar
1 x Medium Pot Single Cream
1/2 Pint of Milk
1 x Big Sprig of Fresh Mint

NOTE: You need different size and types of peas otherwise this soup lacks variety. I suggest one bag/can of big chunky peas and then another of small sweet peas.

Crucial Utensil: Potato Masher - DO NOT use a blender!

The Method:

This is so simple it is ridiculous. Total 20 mins cooking time

Step 1 ~ Open the bags/cans of peas and throw em into a pot on a medium heat. There should already be some brine and water in the bag/can to great some juice for the peas to cook in. Let these heat up and get soft for about 5 mins on a medium heat.

Step 2 ~ Pour in half your cream, a dribble of milk and the tablespoon of sugar. Stir it up! Then Mash it up! NOTE: You do not want to smash the peas into a smooth pulp. It needs to stay bitty. The bigger peas should be 'broken' and the smaller ones smashed to pulp.

Step 3 ~ Now chop up all the mint fairly finely. You still want the sight of pieces of mint leaf in the soup, so not too fine now. Sling that in and stir it up! Then mash it up!

Step 4 ~ Taste it. Add more sugar, mint, or mash a bit more to get a 'smooth with chunks' texture which remains interesting. Also add any more milk or cream if you need to buck up the quantities somemore. Remember to taste it afterwards as it will be less sweet and minty after doing this.

NOTE: Never put salt or garlic in this soup! You will completely destroy the delicate, refreshing tastes.

Pour into bowls, drizzle a spiral for presentation with the remaining cream, crack some pepper over it and serve it up!

Main course, Rambuchan's variation on 'Penne Al Salmone', coming in a bit...

Top Bottom