Elaboration of the point system?

In roughly 5 years of use i was not banned once without my consent..
You consented to the rules and moderator authority when you registered. ;)

Furthermore, while the points system isn't perfect, nothing is, and it is an overall improvement over the previous methodologies.

By consent i meant i asked for my first 2 bannings in order to get some revision done.

An dont mind me if i don't see the benefits of the new system ;)

Apparently the duration of warnings has been been reduced, so i might move off my 8 points a little soon.

I've got a point but it became invalid awhile back. Does getting banned from here actually have any impact on your revision or do you just waste time doing other things?

Well I usually just lurked instead.. depends if i have threads i am addicted to.. NESing has really *#@ked me over...

I have my final exams THIS WEEK. Yet i am still here :(

Totally ridiculus, but i cannot be bothered with uni any more - i am throwing my degree away :(

I have my final exams THIS WEEK. Yet i am still here :(

Totally ridiculus, but i cannot be bothered with uni any more - i am throwing my degree away :(
Hmm at this rate you might want to be considering how you
can use the net and discussion forums to earn your living.

I am totally addicted.. a week long ban i merely lurked, and i think i posted over 200 times yest.. at least a 12 hour stint if not more :(

Can infractions be rescinded? (not sure if this has been asked already)

and yes i am a 1337 haxor, growing up in the hood it was the only way i could get out.

Yes, they can be.

Use that addiction to your advantage then. Figure out a way to make it pay.

Spoiler :
Perhaps start out with a CFC commentary/resource Blog. Provide info on CFC threads that you think these OT fanatics would enjoy reading. Create a resource of links for a few popular and persistent topics that span across many threads and date back years. Remove spam and trolling, abridge for relevancy, then post a few select threads from the past. Create a section for infamous threads. Create a mini-database for posters stances on certain topics... I dont know... think of things that would be entertaining and usefull to CFC OTrs relating specifically to these OT forums.

Then sign up with a few ad affiliates for products you think your readers may be interested in. Like Amazon games and books etc... These may not net you much income (though some say they make a living from just a handfull of blogs), but it may provide enough to pay the hosting fees for a future website. But the main purpose of this first step would be to gain yourself some experiance with writing and researching, using ad affiliates, and to begin to develop a reader base for future net-ventures.

If you are truley addicted to internet forums and have curiosity towards net culture, then study it and write about it. Find emerging net trends, link people to new virtual playgrounds, provide resources (links, reviews, tutorials for netnoobs, create a 'site map' for the net, etc)... Basically create resources for netphiliacs which they will find entertaining and usefull, and will link to from other sites. Then sell ad space. The more visitors you have the more income oppurtunity you will create. Then ideally, and overtime.. your research, exploration, and understanding of net culture will eventually inspire a grand idea which becomes a gold mine of a phenomena like a youtube or a myspace did.

I have thought of creating a variety of special interests blogs that I am interested in. I would research them as normal but then share the results of that research by writing blog articles. I already invest the time to learn about stuff, might as well condense and consolidate that info for others to read. Then I'd post some ads which relate to the topic at hand, or things of general interest to the target group. With some ad affiliates you can post ads for specific makes and models of products for some very big ticket items which have some big commissions. One can even write an article just for the purpose of reviewing a new piece of technology. If you do the right things then the article will come up in search results. Provide a nice unobtrusive ad for the product and one out of x readers will click it and buy it. Some ads pay just for their presence on your site, some pay for click throughs and others pay commissions on sales. People do make a living this way. But for me these ads would just be a sideline income. My main ad income would come from my own product ~ Tie-Dyes. The purpose of the blogs would be to drive traffic to my online store. The other ads would help offset costs. But from what Ive read, there is great potential to make a livable income just from ads.

Oh... I just came across this thing called Squidoo. Its basically another free blog service that seems to have a focus towards the creation of ad revenue for its users. I havent checked much into this yet. I will though. A person could use free Blogger and free Squidoo and just copy/paste from one to the other and use the same ad affiliates. Increased exposure for very little extra work. Both Blogger and Squidoo are large communities in their own right, and by using both the odds of coming up in search results are increased.

So what system are we currently using and how can i see what i got on it? Is there some kind of link to info on these kind of things? Maybe ive read it but forgotten... :crazyeye:

Click on "my account" if you have had any, it will show there.

Is there a link somewhere in the UserCP to show your profile, or do you have to hunt down a post of yours and click on View Profile?

Go to any forum and check the top where it shows who's viewing that forum. You'll always be first on the list. Click yourself.

Is there a link somewhere in the UserCP to show your profile, or do you have to hunt down a post of yours and click on View Profile?
You can click "My Account" near the top right of ANY forum page to View your Profile.
Spoiler :
You will find the warnings near the bottom of that page.
Spoiler :

^ Wow - even warnings with 0 points are showed ? :hmm:

I'm certain that if I violated the sig rule again, then I would receive an infraction point. I think zero point warnings serve the mods as historical records with which to base future disciplinary action on. So they would readily know that I was previously warned, and so a future violation by me would be made knowingly and therefore be grounds for an infraction point.

So... they have warnings with points and without. The one with the points are the one that really matters if you are about to get punished, the other ones are just warnings so you realize whats coming for you before its to late and so that the admins can remember if they have warned you before. Does that mean that the one pointers matter anyway?

I'm gonna let you in on a little secret. Nothing much has changed as far as history is concerned regarding warnings. Yeah, they're called infractions now, and yeah, there's a more visible history now, but we've always kept track of warnings, ban, and even sig violations.

We could give a warning for anything. I've handed out warnings for things other than sig violations. A warning is more of a 'Hey, you might want to be careful' type thing. Kinda like a cop pulling you over and not writing you a ticket. The infraction would be the cop writing a ticket, and a warning the cop just saying "Slow down" or "fix that light".

But we've always kept a history of what's gone on.

Top Bottom