• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

EltNESIII: Some Assembly Required

Abaddon has a point. it shoudn't require an investment by both parties to estabish a trade route. Agreement should be enough. Historically, that was the way of things. Merchants travel to far shores, trade and return. Trade does not require that both parties take to the waters or caravan routes.

But I paid in 3EP... it doesn't need both parties to spend, merely agree..
I'd make all the money from establishing one with you.. not us both gain I would assume...

That's something you'd need to take up with Eltain, because I did mention that if it was possible I would agree to have a traderoute with you.

Honestly this merely makes me worry you are building that army to attack me..

:hammer2:

What? We agree to set up a trade route, you then don't and build the largest army the world has ever seen! I'd be stupid not to worry!

Meh sorry, I didn't send orders..I had school..
But whatever I've lost interest dropping out. Will be back later possibly..

Abaddon:

The Cypriot Empire also opens the first trade route of the world with the Lyscovian Sultanate, the supposed warmongers of the south.
What about mine with them?
What LOD said.
and angry at the lower kingdom of Aneb-Hetch.
Why?
2: Your government made them pay for your trade route. (took advantage of them)
Curious about religion spread.. does EVERY nation have specific religions, or can we share them?
3: Plenty of countries are sharing religions.
It seems pointless to write the (2/0/0/0/) after each unit when we can read their values in the opening posts...
4: Those are unit qualities.

Milarqui: Thank you. The stats are up, though apparently there are some mistakes.

Immaculate: I don't know what happened there. Problems that people pointed out to me stat-wise I am taking care of.

Abaddon has a point. it shoudn't require an investment by both parties to estabish a trade route. Agreement should be enough. Historically, that was the way of things. Merchants travel to far shores, trade and return. Trade does not require that both parties take to the waters or caravan routes.
Historically, it's a game you're playing on the computer. :S

I feel I've neglected to explain trade routes in this thread. I will be updating the rules therein.

Zelet: Sorry to hear that. Galifrey falls.

1.Fantastic, I wasted 50% of my economy unless LOD pays up 3EP...

If I were him i'd pour it all into more armies and destroy me.. :/

2. No, they paid 2, I paid 1.. who's paying the other 3? It seems from the stats it completed.. but how? An if it did, where is the effect in my economy?

3. Nope, some are merging/diluting.. i meant actually HAVE the same religion.

4. We know the unit qualities from the descriptions of the units in your opening posts.. we don't need them repeated in everyones stats as well.

Just for my own use:

Spoiler PC Stats :
Abaddon // Aneb-Hetch
Government: Monarchy
Economy: 3/3
Upkeep: 0
Techs: Mid Bronze
Army: 1 Warband
Navy: 1 Raft
UUs: none
Projects: (Irrigation (+1 EP) (2/6)
Trade: ND(1)
Other: none

Karalysia // Avranti
Government: Tribal Matriarchy
Economy: 3/6
Techs: Late Copper
Projects: none
Trade: none

Menanish // Cypriot Empire
Economy: 3/2
Upkeep: 1
Army: 2 Warbands
Navy: 3 Rafts
Trade: LS (1)

Zeletdude //Cyseean Imperium
Government: Imperial Autocracy
Economy: 3/3

Kraznaya // Ilium
Government: Oriental Despotism
Economy: 3/0
Upkeep: 2
Army: 6 Warband
Navy: 6 Raft

Lord of Elves // Lyscovian Sultanate
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Upkeep: 3
Army: 14 Warband
Trade: CE(1)

Immaculate // Phoolan Devi
Government: Theocratic Despotism
Navy: 4 Raft
Projects: Italian Pasturage (+1 EP) (3/6), Sicilian Pottery Industry (+1 EP) (2/6)

Androgans // Qing Empire
Upkeep: 4
Techs: Early Bronze
Army: 16 Warband
Navy: 7 Raft

Julius Gandhi //Scythia
Army: 10 Warbands (10/0/0/0/0)
Navy: 2 Rafts (2/0/0/0/0)
Projects: City of Jujya (city, +1 EP) (2/10), City of Izme (city, +1 EP) (2/10)

Milaqui // Tanresios
Government: Council of Elders
Economy: 3/1
Techs: Early Iron
Navy: 7 Raft
Projects: House of Learning (advance to Mid Iron) (1/20)

SKILORD // Wovvolk
Government: Military Tribalism
Economy: 3/1
Army: 11 Warbands
Navy: none

Spoiler NPC :

Tairon Empire
Government: Dynastic Monarchy
Economy: 3/4
Techs: Early Iron
Army: 6 Warbands
Navy: 4 Raft

Domic Tribes
Government: Tribal Federation
Economy: 3/5

Spartan Empire
Government: Theocratic Monarchy
Army: 6 Warbands

Porters
Economy: 2/5
Army: 1 Warbands

Pontian Empire
Techs: Late Bronze
Army: 7 Warbands
Trade: Walls of Pontus (city walls) (5/15)

Nile Dynasties
Government: Theocratic Monarchy
Trade: AH(1)

Kutak Tribes
Government: Oligarchic League
Economy: 4/0
Projects: Temple of Eshna (+1 EP)

Kettick Empire
Government: Theocracy
Projects: Farms of the Indi (+2 EP) (6/12)

Barbers
Government: Chiefdom
Economy: 4/0
Projects: Great Wandering Ranches (+1 EP)

Arkital
Government: Tribal Confederacy

1.Fantastic, I wasted 50% of my economy unless LOD pays up 3EP...

If I were him i'd pour it all into more armies and destroy me.. :/

You didn't waste anything, it was banked.

If I were him, I'd do that too.

2. No, they paid 2, I paid 1.. who's paying the other 3? It seems from the stats it completed.. but how? An if it did, where is the effect in my economy?

They paid 2 for you, 3 for themselves, and 1 for rafts. The effect on your economy is listed in the "trade routes" section. Read the rules on economy.

3. Nope, some are merging/diluting.. i meant actually HAVE the same religion.

Iberia/Morroco is fully united religiously. As is the far east, but ancestor worship is emerging from the iron age hegemony of the Tairon religion.

4. We know the unit qualities from the descriptions of the units in your opening posts.. we don't need them repeated in everyones stats as well.

You're confused. Unit statistics are not the same as "qualities". Statistics would denote the difference between a hoplite phalanx and a roman legion, whereas quality would tell the difference between raw recruits and veterans of a thousand wars.

When you're starting from scratch localized religionss are more realistic (Europe wasn't Christian when the Caucasians swept out the Neanderthals, there were a bunch of small obscure mythologies that lent themselves to cultural identity like there are here), states who focus on spreading their faith will obviously benefit from it, it's just a cost benefit analysis that you''d have to weigh as the game progressed and you focus on whatever makes your nation what it is. I really wouldn't worry about a lack of widespread religious orthodoxy at the beginning of time.

I'll do some stories later, although it will probably just continue to be plundering my neighbors.

I didn't even mean statistical advantage, there is just a certain capacity to undermine foreign leaders who have a lot of your parishoners in their state and from that it is easy to use religious ties to influence other players.

If I managed to invade Libbon, shouldn't I have gotten their treasury completely intact?

Also, the story is in 2nd person.

This is the next part of the War of Porters:

Spoiler The War of Porters: The Fall of Libbon :
You try to keep your lunch in. Not only because you are very nervous, due to the great importance of this mission. No, it's because you are travelling on a raft, and the ocean waves are moving it in such a way that it is impossible for you to keep your balance. Only the experienced sailors that are controlling the raft can stand and do everything that is needed to direct it towards its destination. You thrice curse the moment you presented yourself as a volunteer for this mission. It is important, you know it, but, still, you can't help but wonder if you would have joined it had you known about the sea-travelling...

"Hey, Macal," says one of your friends, Nizarias. "You look ill. How is it going?"

"Really bad. Doubt I'll be able to keep it in." You breath deeply, trying to stop the bad feelings. "How come you aren't vomiting your guts out?"

"I was born in Gades, remember?" Gades is the southern-most city in northern Baeta, the western region of Northern Tanresios. Due to being very near to Southern Tanresios, it is a natural point from which people go to if they want to go to the south. That's where most Tanresian sailors normally come from.

"Yes. Damn. You are a lucky guy, Nizarias. Guess this is why you got into this mission."

"Yes. When we were at the camp, I really missed the sea, and when I heard about this, I joined in without thinking."

"Well, I hope we reach the coast soon. Otherwise, I doubt I'll be fit for a fight."

"Oh, don't worry. You just have to take it easy. When we both get a permission, I'll take you to Gades and teach you the tricks to avoid getting ill."

"Thank you," you answer. Then, a powerful voice shouts aloud. It is one of the sailors

"Alright, you pansies! We are going to go towards the coast right now! Keep your puke within you, we don't want to have to clean and repair these rafts!"

"How... crass," Nizarias whispers. You nod, unable to speak as a wave suddenly shakes the raft.

The sun had hardly risen when the rafts started to move from Opina, near the mouth of the river Taga. When the rafts finally reach the beach, allowing us to finally stand on solid ground, the sun is at its highest. It's is hot, but not too much, and the heat dries all the soldiers quite soon, while the sailors search for a place to put the rafts and prevent them from being carried over while we attack.

Our general is Barcian, a man with several scars across his face and chest. He wears a slightly ornated armour made with bear's skin and carries one of the best iron swords ever made in the forges of Tanresios. Rumour has it that the scars come from a fight he got into against a gigantic bear, and that Barcian managed to kill it using only a rock he had managed to sharpen while he avoided the bear's sharp claws: he got the scars when he jumped into the fight, but didn't show any weakness until the bear was dead, and even then he managed to stay awake while he was carried over to the nearest town and healed.

"OK, boys!" the general shouts, and all of you stand to attention. While he is very strict with the soldiers, he is known as a great guy, and you respect him enormously for that. "We have been ordered to do something that may sound suicidal, but I have great confidence in you and your ability to do this. We are to take Libbon, and capture the King of Porters." No one utters a word. You somewhat knew what was the objective when you were told you would be going towards the north. "I have been told by the Council that the men that capture the King intact will receive a great reward." That interests you a lot: a reward for capturing the king of Porters would be impressive, for sure. "Since most of Porters' soldiers are distracted attempting to prevent our troops from crossing the Taga river, it is the best moment to enter the city. And I want you to be there, to put the arrogant Porters down and stop them forever!" A bloodcurling scream is heard this time. "Now, let's go and crack some skulls!"

With that, you start your march towards the east. And start to fantasize with the moment you hold the King of Porters on your hands.

-----------

Three days later, Libbon is within our sights. You are thankful that this wasn't a death march, or else you would be dead on your feet (if you would pardon the pun). You have seen a couple more of your friends from the camp in the march towards Libbon, and all of you have shared food and water.

"Guys," you tell your friends as all of you stand near Libbon, prepared for the signal that will tell all of you that the assault is to begin, "it's been an honour to meet you."

"It's a greater honour to fight besides you," Nizarias says, putting his hand in the centre of the small circle we are in. One by one, both you and the others do the same, and smile at each other. You know that the certainty of death is nearer now than ever, but at least you know that your blood brothers will always be there to help you, and you will be there to help them, even if one of you dies.

The flamed arrow goes up, and can be clearly seen in the middle of the night. "That's the signal!" All of you jump forward, and soon you reach the town.

Per orders, if people don't oppose any resistance, they are to just be left alone. Any that attempts to resist may be killed, though. The first few people you find jump our of your way, as you and your friends run towards the tallest building in the city, where the King lives. You soon find a man that charges you with a pitchfork. You avoid the attack and stick your sword into him. Not the first person you have killed, but the first that wasn't a soldier. You try not to think about it.

The moon is high in the sky when you reach the royal house. There are several guards in front of it, and they are well armed. Nizarias, who has taken someone's lance, throws it at the enemy. They scatter to avoid being hit, and you jump to make the most of their distraction. Each of you engages one enemy soldier, and your swords collide with each other. All of you lack a shield, as it rests mobility. The enemies have small round shields, and they are able to protect themselves behind them. However, you have been extensively trained to fight an enemy with a shield, and know how to take care of him. A couple of fints to the left, two to the right, step to the side where he keeps the shield, and attack his leg. This not only distracts him, but also impedes his mobility, giving you a bigger edge in the fight. A couple of more attacks, and his right arm sports several bloody cuts that prevent him from moving his arm too much. A last distraction gives you an opening, and your sword cuts him on the neck. He falls on the floor and dies instantly.

You turn around, and see one horrible scene.

Nizarias is on the floor, bleeding. And the enemy soldier is about to plant his sword on his heart.

You jump towards him, but too late. Your friend dies when the sword touches his heart.

A berseker frenzy possesses you. Before the enemy even notices it, you have cut his neck in one swipe of your sword. Other enemies you find encounter a similar fate, losing limbs due to your powerful attacks.

Someone grabs you from behind. You attempt to get rid of it, but a slap awakens you from the frenzy. It's Matan, one of your blood brothers.

"Macal, please, don't do this. Let's capture that bastard. That will honour Nizarias further than anyone else."

You try to calm yourself, but it is difficult. Nizarias is still there, a sword on his heart, and looking up to the black, starred sky. You kneel beside him and close his eyes. You swear to bring his body back to Gades, so that his parents may have him back for the ceremony that will send him with his ancestors.

"Let's go," you say, pushing this death far from your mind for the moment. You enter the house and start to look around. After some time, you finally encounter the royal family.

"Stand away!" the king shouts, carrying a sword and shield. You are not very patient now. With a couple of swipes, the sword is on the floor and the king has followed it. You tie his hands behind his back. Your friends take the rest of the family. They don't separate the queen from her younger children, and the heir, his wife and their son are tied together

"Come with us, all of you, in peace," you say, "and we will make sure that you live well in our lands." The king seems to be about to say something, but you glare at him so hard that his resistance crumbles.

You come outside, and you see that two of your other friends have already put Nizarias on a stretcher, to carry him away.

You feel empty inside. You and your friends may have captured the king of Porters, you knew that any of you could die... but was the price too high?

Milar: I had a mental reason why you didn't get it (treasury), but you're right, you should have it. I'll edit the stats.

First, second, what's the difference. I am enjoying these stories.

SP is now on the front page- last reserve. It will chronicle all SP gained and all spent. Probably.

While I'm posting, I think it is pertinent people should re-read the section of the rules regarding trade routes (TR). I have added to and re-written some of it.

The Warlord spends his days afield, plundering, looting devouring. He is a pestilence upon the land and a scourge to his neighbors.

But in Granae it is another story.

In Granae the Warlord is revered, an exalted champion, for whom the walls and the sun rises. With his plunder these houses have been built, with his looting have their roofs been provided.

The Warlordess, his wife, has no official position but she is there now, in the fields, leading the women, commanding them, beckoning them to work harder, till the land, plant the crops, feed the struggle.

And as the plume of the Thunder Gods rises further and further to the East the crops grow and prosper, the Wovvolk travel further and further to make their homes, other tribes join and submit.

An enormous bear stands at the edge of the tilling field, it watches the women push their plows. Short, bulky women. Not particularly attractive, or at least the bear does not seem impressed. The Warlordess herself is much shorter than the bear that looks at her, when it walks on all fours it looks her in the eyes.

From across the field this happens. Suddenly, instant, lightning flash.

The bear charges.

A pack of helpless meat, short, all women, the bear is prepared to feast, it’s paws bound over the snow, launching him forwards.

Into the Warlordess’s fist.

She does not stop swinging, but brings her other fist in almost as soon as the first one makes contact. The bear is stunned, shocked, panicked.

Unconscious.

“Kill it!” the other women shout, but the Warlordess instead finds her strongest cord and ties all of the paws very tightly and securely together.

“You think it is enough to kill it? This bear could have threatened our children, there are others that still may!” The Warlordess has a deep, booming voice that shudders the women around her.

“It is not enough to kill them,” she concludes with a full teeth, wild grin, “We will have to break their spirits.”

SKILORD: Hilarious, keep it up. Seriously.

Remember, peeps, orders due Thursday, January 13th, at 4PM EST.

To Cyseean Imperium (says NPC?)
From Phoolan Devi,

We hope that peace between our people can continue to flourish and invite you to begin trading with us. We have pottery and fine wool textiles available for trade.

The Eagle Throne Commands It​

The warriors headed north to claim land for themselves per the Eagle Throne’s command. They spread out and were gaining something most peasants could only dream of, the chance to own land. They were originally called up to defend the coasts from raids by the Tairon, but those raids for the first time in generations never materialized. So now faced with too many warriors and no enemy to fight the Eagle Throne rewarded its warriors with the right to claim land if they headed north in the name of the Qing Empire.

So they did.

The land was fertile and plentiful as the local tribes were small and eager to join the Qing Empire since it could only be good for them. They gained the protection of the Eagle Throne and the chieftains were elevated to hereditary nobles over their tribes.

It was good for everyone.

Then came the ancestor worship that the warriors of the Qing Empire brought with them. Most of the tribes in the area had heard of it but were not sure what it meant and that it was taken seriously. Most of the tribes, well their new hereditary nobles, accepted this without issue and began to build shrines as was the custom. Most of the peasants followed suit since it really didn’t affect them much, their supposed gods failed them since they were so easily taken over, and besides who didn’t want to believe their family never really left and instead stayed behind to protect and aid them if they could.

The beliefs changed quickly and easily.

War with the Tairons averted by a show of strength, the Eagle Throne redirected its efforts to improving the Qing Empire. They already directed for more claims of land, but they also needed to improve the land to support the growing Qing Empire so the Eagle Throne instituted a massive agricultural project. It demanded that rice become plentiful and that the herds grow massive.

So it was done as the Eagle Throne commanded.

To: Phoolan Devi

Trade is a fine idea; just do not cross the territorial line marked in our Peninsula.

Top Bottom