Embassy with "The Brotherhood"

Sounds good.

From the Brotherhood:

Dear Calis of the Flock,
we are now able to provide the desired update: the Great Library taught us the techs up to Education (as was to be expected...), and in addition Chivalry as well as the lower branch up to Invention.

To be honest: we didn't expect to get Chivalry. As the Anarchos attacked us only with Hoplites and MIs up to now, we had assumed that Chivalry (being an optional tech) would be held back until after the completion of our Library. In any case, this unexpected stroke of luck changes our plans a little bit. Short-term we'll need a bit of cash to upgrade some horses, before we continue on the way to MT. Mid-term we are then of course interested in any tech on the way to MT. The point of time when we will be able to buy some techs, depends mainly on three things:
  • The prices
  • The number of units the Anarchos will throw at us in the next couple of turns. (Looks like they have started another major offensive last turn. That was quicker than expected. We are forced to retreat again.:()
  • The number of turns you still require until MT. Judging by the culture graph and the size of your cities, your nation seems to be the tech leader, so it is quite likely that we can get MT from you faster than from anyone else. However, we have no idea, how far you advanced in the meantime. If you are still 20 turns from MT, we'll have to "live on Knights" for quite a while anyway, and therefore new techs would not be of such a high priority. We would spend more gold in further Knights for immediate effect. If, however, you are close to completing MT and would be willing to sell those techs in the next couple of turns, it would have a much higher priority for us to get the techs quickly.

And finally I don't want to conceal that we are also talking to the Küche about tech purchases. However, it will not only be a matter of "who offers the best price". We will probably try to buy some techs from both of you, as we feel it would be too unbalancing if we give all our gold to just one nation on the other continent. A "balance of powers" is in our own best interest, if we want to survive and see the end of the game alive... I hope you will understand this position of ours, even if you don't approve of it. ;)

Best Regards,
Sir Lanzelot

Obviously Anarchie took Chivalry from Kueche. These idiots. In their favor we rejected Chivalry and they just take it. :gripe:

Brotherhood is not aware that Anarchie made a last big attack and will be out next turn. (At least according to what Anarchie told us).

Any opinions, how to deal with the Knights?

Obviously Anarchie took Chivalry from Kueche. These idiots. In their favor we rejected Chivalry and they just take it. :gripe:

Brotherhood is not aware that Anarchie made a last big attack and will be out next turn. (At least according to what Anarchie told us).

Any opinions, how to deal with the Knights?
Idiots. Why do they have to be so greedy? :mad:

Ah well, I still think that we should try to keep the Brotherhood as far behind as possible. But that GLib boost puts a dent in that plan. I'm in favor of friendly relations with them so that we can have them as allies or at least be neutral in our coming war with Kueche.

I thought about dealing with the Knights. I do see only little chance that we can agree on some reasonable tech deal. We do not want to sell techs of the lower branch and they have the same techs on the upper branch of the tech tree than we have.

But how about buying luxuries from them?

Yes, I think we need to break the silence with the Brotherhood. With them building the Great Library, they will probably catch up in tech, and them entering a tech-trading alliance with Kueche would be a disaster.

A proposed message to the Knights:

Dear Lanzelot of The Brotherhood,

Again the situation has completely changed.

Especially you face a fully new situation.

Probably your first plan is to settle all that nice (and worked) land. :)

We saw an opportunity to have a colony on one of the insence sources still far away from your borders. Until you filled the continent with your towns, you might allow us to establish and keep that colony. When the right time has come, we would of course give up the colony and would hope to enter a trade deal for the luxury with you.

What do you say? Of course there is room for further negotiations.

With kind regards,
Calis of the Flock

This sentence confuses me:

Would either of these be better?

Especially, you face a fully new situation.
or
Especially since you now face a fully new situation.

EDIT:
Beyond that it looks fine.

I'm not really sure we will be able to get the luxury for any significant time with a colony, but we can see what they say :dunno:.

I think he means to put emphasis on you. Made sense to me.

Made sense to me, also. But then again, I know Calis. If he puts a comma after Especially, he will get that emphasis.

Other than that, it is well written. "Until you filled the continent" might be said better as "Until you've (you have) filled the continent".

Send it.

Let's not get too carried away with our grammar...

Link to video.

Right, emphasis was on you, as they suddenly have a continent for themselves. :drool:

I'll implement the other correction and post it. They can't do much more than tell us to p*** off, right?

This is, what I posted a few minutes ago:

Dear Lanzelot of The Brotherhood,

Again the situation has completely changed.

Probably your first plan is to settle all that nice (and worked) land.

We saw an opportunity to have a colony on one of the insence sources still far away from your borders. Until you have filled the continent with your towns, you might allow us to establish and keep that colony. When the right time has come, we would of course give up the colony and would hope to enter a trade deal for the luxury with you.

What do you say? Of course there is room for further negotiations.

With kind regards,
Calis of the Flock

From Lanzelot, today:

Dear Calis of the Eagles,
yes indeed, within two turns the situation changed completely, and not only once but twice... We are still quite surprised ourselves and cannot really believe our good luck. In the short course of two turns, we went from fighting for our bare survival to looking ahead to a bright future and to the chance of catching up with the two leading nations of this world.

However, at the same time we are well aware that the future is not without problems...

•First of all, if we settle all this nice land now available to us and develop our much neglected infrastructure, the other two nations, which are confined to only half a continent, might see us as a potential threat in the long term future. And this might prompt one or the other nation (or both...) to do something against that threat, before we have fully recovered.
•And next: when we finished the Great Library, we expected the Anarchos (as a Despotism and in the middle of a cruel war) to be relatively backward, while you and the Küche would be quite advanced. But the situation was almost reversed: the Anarchos were almost as advanced as you, while the Küche were like 2-3 techs behind. This could only mean that you have been cooperating with the Anarchos, our enemy, but not with us?! And then, why did they leave you "The Village" as a "fare-well present"?
Basically this town is insignificant (because of corruption), for you as well as for us. Unless it is used as a ship-chain endpoint. And to be honest: this makes us quite worried at the moment.

Ok, after these general remarks let me address your suggestion about an incense deal: first of all, we have to tell you: your worker trying to establish a colony will probably come to late. Right after the "dissolution" of the Anarchos, we set up a ship chain and sent a settler on its way, which will reach its destination next turn.
Of course we are interested in selling the spare resource, especially as - due to your Golden Age - we could probably expect quite a good price.
However, during your long silence we have also been conducting negotiations with the Küche and found a lot of common interests and trade opportunities e.g. tech exchanges. To make a long story short: I know that in previous negotiations between our two nations there were a few unfortunate "misunderstandings" (and I don't claim us to be completely without fault here). I don't want to repeat that mistake, therefore I'm telling you quite frankly: at the moment it looks much more likely that we'll sign a corresponding luxury deal with the Küche than with you. (Not the least important reason being that this seems to preserve the "balance of power" between the three nations best, seeing that the Küche appears to be much weaker than your nation.)

However, we are always interested in techs, and if you would be willing to sell us The Village for an adequate price (as a sign of no aggressive plans against our continent), it would make us sleep much better... (as far as that is possible in iron pajamas...)

With best Regards,
Sir Lanzelot

Top Bottom