Emigration

killmeplease

Mk Z on Steam
Emigration (v 5) last update: September29th, 2013

People migrate between cities seeking a better life. Migrants are attracted by happiness, productiveness and policies. Develop your empire and your rival's citizens will leave their homeland for your prosperous country.

English and Russian languages are supported.
Brave New World expansion is required.

What's new in v 5?
  • local happiness and prosperity indicators added to the city view.
  • local happiness now factors prosperity.
  • no emigration to starving cities anymore.
  • immigration penalty added to the Order policy to make it less powerful.
  • cooldown period increased to 12 turns.
  • a major bug resolved which caused CTD.

Mechanics
For each city a prosperity value is calculated each turn. It is composed of empire's happiness, local (city) happiness, number of social policies and productivity. Productivity is a sum of various city's outputs (food, production, faith, great people points etc) divided by number of citizens. The formula is: 0.1 * happiness + 0.1 * localHappiness + 0.2 * productivity + 0.05 * numberOfPolicies. For every city there is a chanse that at the next turn one of its citizens will move to another city which has a higher prosperity value (if such a city exists). This chance depends on the current era and the source city's population. If there are more than one possible destinations for emigration, preference is given to relatively more prosperous and closer cities. For cities of the same civilization distance is not considered so, all other conditions being the same, internal migration is more likely.

Gameplay
Positive happiness matters much more, so balancing at the 0 happines level is not a viable strategy with this mod, as you will begin to lose your citizens to your neightbours. More happiness is better. Infrastructure also factors migration so tall empires get an advantage over less developed wide ones draining their population (especially with all those great people improvements which output is doubled with the Freedom finisher). Main thing here is to get enough happiness to support high-population cities as for a tall empire it is harder to get luxuries.

The best way to magnify the immigration rate is to increase your empire's happiness (1 prosperity point (pp) = 10 happiness). Second effective is ifrastructure development (1 pp = 5 avg output per citizen). And getting more social policies gives you another but quite a small prosperity bonus (1 pp = 20 policies). Exception is for the Freedom: adopting it gives you the whole 1 additional pp. Also, building the Statue of Liberty will help to attract more immigrants from abroad: distance to your cities will not be considered, as if they were migrating inside their own country.

To reduce emigration from your cities adopt Autocracy. This halves emigration probability. Or declare war on your rival: people cant emigrate to empires you are at war with. Order policy is an opposite and has an immigration penalty.

Details and special rules
  • Migrations are less likely early in the game because of the era modifiers. Emigration reaches its full strength when you enter the Industrial era. Maximum migration distance also rises with the current era too.
  • Between two emigration events from one city there is a minimum 12-turn (for the standard speed) span.
  • Emigration from bigger cities is more likely.
  • There is no emigration from city-states but emigration to them is possible though is not very likely as they usually have low happiness.
  • Your cities get -1 pp penalty for being unhappy and -2 pp for being very unhappy.

Download database link
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15736

Screenshots

Attachments

• Emigration (v 1).civ5mod
    9.6 KB · Views: 1,583
  • emigration__v_2.civ5mod
    13.3 KB · Views: 402
  • emigration__v_3.civ5mod
    13.4 KB · Views: 289
  • Emigration (v 4).civ5mod
    16.2 KB · Views: 899
  • 2012-12-16_00001.jpg
    2012-12-16_00001.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 8,843
  • 2012-12-16_00003.jpg
    2012-12-16_00003.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 3,486
  • 2012-12-16_00005.jpg
    2012-12-16_00005.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 2,803
  • 2012-12-22_00002.jpg
    2012-12-22_00002.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 2,363
  • Emigration (v 5).civ5mod
    37.8 KB · Views: 3,039
  • steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_115134695_preview.jpg
    steamworkshop_webupload_previewfile_115134695_preview.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 1,918
Minor bug, you didn't check to make sure the city losing the population was greater than 1. You could be killing cities.

Minor bug, you didn't check to make sure the city losing the population was greater than 1. You could be killing cities.

Maybe that's a feature, not a bug? After all, an empire could found a city, the inhabitants be really unhappy, so they abandon the city entirely and leave for somewhere else. Not unfeasible...

Were do we put this mod? I don't see it on the mob browser; so I'm assuming we have to do it manually?

Thanks for your feedback!
I'd like to see revolutions in civ 5, maybe i can do something for that. :)

Uh that's an issue. Not only it can kill cities but procreate bugs if say people emigrate from size 1 city that can not be razed (capital). I should fix it definitely.

Were do we put this mod? I don't see it on the mob browser; so I'm assuming we have to do it manually?
i'll upload it to mod DB when i get home.
also you can open civ5mod file with archiver (e.g. WinZip) and place files from it into a right location manually:
<documents>\My Games\Sid Mayer's Civilization 5\Mods\Emigration (v 1)

Wow this is awesome. I had no idea you could do this with lua.. looks like I better start reading some guides! Good stuff killme!

This is brilliant!

• From perspectives of gameplay, realism, and simplicity of concept, this is truly a great idea.
  • It should be in the default game. This plus more smoothly transitioning unhappiness would do CiV a lot of good.
  • I like how you used the most accurate term, emigrant.
  • Great job with polishing presentation - from ingame notifications, to the format of your post here, to use of icons in the mod description. That extra effort shows. I know how much time it can take to do things like this.

Thanks Thalassicus for such a detailed comment.
Simplicity is one of things i strive for at most. Overcomplication ruins gameplay pretty always imo. Time spent to complicate something may be much better used to polish it :)

Is there a thread on smooth unhappiness transitioning?

Sounds nice, will test it soon.
The new Home(City/Civilization) of the emigrants should get a cultural or happiness bonus ;)

Sounds nice, will test it soon.
The new Home(City/Civilization) of the emigrants should get a cultural or happiness bonus ;)
good idea, maybe also make them to take a few :hammers: or :gold: to their new home (symbolizing their property move)

Top Bottom