Emp. Players: Let's Try Deity!

Got started a little late. I'm 4 turns into the set now, and I've got some bad news: of the 8 swords that were to attack Hastings, only 5 are left, and only 2 of those are at full health. The stack was attacked by 2 archers and 1 elite swordsman (BTW, the English have a leader now), and all three of those units won. I'm thinking of pulling back and gathering a larger force; I doubt very much that an attack on Hastings would succeed right now. The problem is that the English have iron, and if we wait too long, they'll have pikemen. Of course, the Egyptians have just now discovered writing, and the English were roughly equal with them in tech when the war started, so we might not have to worry that much yet. I'll finish the set after work tonight. One bit of good news: the English declared on us when I told them to remove or declare, so we've got war happiness.

:eek: The deity AI is very powerful. I'd drop back. Heal. Play zone defense, and prepare a second strike force. we had best plan on taking a lot more units next time. How many? Not sure, but 16 of combined spears/swords would be a good start.

I just played out the fifth turn and will post the set, the save, and a screenshot later tonight. After that, I need to be skipped until further notice. Work's going to be really busy until a few days before Christmas, and I won't have time to play this. I'll check in and contribute to strategy discussions when possible.

All right, this is ridiculous; I just attempted to post a writeup and lost the page! :mad: I have to go to work soon, so here's the save: View attachment Osman 550BC.SAV I will have a writeup tonight.

All right, here's take two:

Preflight:
-Izmit's about to riot; change scientist to entertainer, change taxman in Uskudar to scientist
-move 2 more swords to hill near Bursa
IBT: England moves units onto mountain near sword stack; Iznik spear->walls (5); Izmit spear->spear (5); suicide dinky sinks
Turn 1:
-change clown in Izmit to taxman (thanks to new spear)
-move worker pair to BG near Uskudar; sword on mountain near Egypt fortifies; warrior 1 SE; spear in Iznik fortifies; northern worker pair to Bursa
-dinky leaves English waters; talk to England, can tell them to remove or declare, so I do; England declares (war happiness! :D ); dinky returns to English waters
-sword attacks spear on mountain, yellowlined, wins (1-0); sword attacks warrior on mountain, 1 damage, wins (2-0); sword attacks sword on hill, redlined, wins (3-0); sword attacks sword on hill, no damage, wins (4-0)
-sword stack moves to mountain, settler joins yellowlined sword on hill
-sword attacks spear in jungle, 1 damage, wins (5-0); sword attacks warrior in jungle, no damage, wins (6-0), captures English worker
-sword in Istanbul toward Bursa, warrior to Istanbul for MP; slave to Konya
IBT: English warrior kills redlined sword (6-1); worker on hill finishes mine
Turn 2:
-move 2 swords and settler to mountain; dinky 2NE; 1 sword from stack Ne to mountain to scout, sees road, rest of swords join except for 2 with settler; worker from hill joins 2 workers on BG, workers start mining; warrior 1 NE to hill
-put taxman in Izmit to work on unimproved plains tile next to river (best tile available)
-sword in Iznik attacks spear, 1 damage, wins (7-1); sword in jungle back to Konya; sword near Bursa attacks spear, dies, spear redlined (7-2)
-spear from Konya reinforces Bursa; try to move worker pair from Bursa to uniproved plains near Izmit, but end up moving all units in city! :mad: send sword and warrior from Konya to Bursa
IBT: worker finishes chopping forest near Antalya; Portugal destroyed; English swords attack sword stack--1 wins, 1 loses (8-3); Istanbul sword->sword (3); Edrine sword->sword (4); english warrior pillages flood plain wheat
Turn 3:
- move sword stack and settler 1 S of Hastings; worker starts mine; dinky 2N; sword from Edrine to Bursa; worker to tobacco 1SE of Istanbul; sword from Istanbul to Bursa; warrior 1 SE; upgrade warrior in Bursa to sword
IBT: English warrior kills our warrior (8-4); 1 sword and 2 archers kill 3 swords S of Hastings! :gripe: (8-7) Time to pull back and regroup.
Turn 4:
-1 worker roads plain, the other irrigates; sword and spear back to Bursa; warrior 1 W; sword stack retreats to mountain
-sword attacks spear, dies, 1 damage to spear (8-8)
IBT: 2 English swords attack our sword stack, both die (10-8)
Turn 5:
-upgrade warrior in Istanbul to sword
-warrior to Istanbul; sword stack to hill; 2 swords from Bursa to hill, 1 sword to Konya; worker SE of Istanbul starts mine; worker stack near Uskudar 1NE
-sword attacks archer, takes 1 damage, wins (11-8)

All in all, not good. Maybe the offensive was premature, but it looks as if England was going to jump us anyway. As I said, I'll need to be skipped for a while, and not just because of time constraints; it seems to me that I made several mistakes that could have been avoided (leaving workers inactive for a turn, moving a whole stack instead of just the workers in it, etc.). Once work slows down, I should be better able to focus and avoid such mistakes.

Pre turn,
kill 3 english units in our territory, gain elite (3-0)
lower lux save 5 gpt
IBT
loose 2 swords, but kill 2 archers on defence (5-2)
530BC
move units back
Istanbul will now produce a sword every 2 turns, but need to increase lux to do so.
IBT
Loose 2 swords again on defence, kill elite sword and spear (7-4)
510BC
move back more
England now won't be able to attack on ibt
loose sword against english city (can't read name yet) (7-5)
IBT
Egypt kicks us ou, didn't know we were in their territory (now way to tell same collors)
490BC
kill 2 spears and 3 swords, loose 1 sword (12-6)
English will talk now but won't give enough
upgrade sword
IBT
English pillage and kill a sword (12-7)
470BC
kill spears warrior and sword gain another elite (16-7)
can get myst for peace now, but not enough
IBT
english kill sword (16-8)
450BC
had forgotten about the settler move it south west of Istanbul
kill the sword (17-8)
send spear to mountain to pillage
IBT
spear is killed so is 1 sword, can't believe this is 5th sword that looses should be 50/50 (17-10)
430BC
send stack to english city
410BC
kill spear and archer (19-10)
am next to Oxford now
English won't trade techs anymore
IBT
kill warrior (20-10)
390BC
settle Ankara
loose 5 swords against Oxford just kill 1 spear (21-15)
need another 2 sword to kill a loose spear (22-16)
upgrade warrior
370BC
Uskudar riots (sorry)
kill spear (23-16)
IBT
defend against spear (24-16)
350BC
kill 2 spears and a sword, loose 1 sword (27-17)
England still won't give much but I think we should take what ever we get now. Was very unlucky Oxford should have fallen and I shouldn't have lost this many units on defence (all 50/50 or better odds), but we'll, many next turnset.
Starts to become very difficult to win now. 27-17 is not enough on deity.
we now have 15 swords and 7 warriors and are weak compared to them.

330bc.JPG

View attachment Osman 350BC.SAV

Lurkers comment:

Why not make some horsemen to compliment all those swords? They can really help your win-loss ratios.

This doesn't look good; we started out average compared to England. Maybe some cats would help. Can we get math from England for peace and maybe some gold? Of course, since England has the Great Wall, I'm not sure how helpful cats would be.

We should press southward and at least try and take that city on the SE coast. Then sue for peace.

Aaaa! Sorry. :blush: RL distraction. 17 y.o. daughter with an attitude. Get it played soon.

Osman – Pre-flight – 350 BC – we still haven’t done any exploring. We have a dinky boat fortified on the English coast.

Lizzy is in her MA garb already. We will be seeing MDI and pikes soon. She has a nice stack outside Bursa (seven attackers and we only have two healthy swords there. She will give us Myst for peace so I take it. We are in the hurt locker. I switch the capitol to a settler. I think Cleo is wearing her MA duds as well.

IBT – Sumerians build Sun Tzu. Lizzy kicks us out.

330 –
IBT – Writing=>literature (we need some libraries to catch up.)
310 – Send out another suicide dinky boat.
IBT – Dinky boat sinks
290 – I start building temples as a pre-build for libraries.
270 – Try another suicide dinky boat.
IBT – It sinks.
250 – Found Salonika to the south.
IBT – Cleo demands 25G. Since she would kick out butt from here to Timbuktu, I cave.
230 –
210 -
190 -
170 – Two dinky boats head out to sea.
150 – They both survive and keep going.

After Action – We need to make contact with the other continent so our research rates will decrease. Literature is due in two turns. Switch all our builds over to libraries. We have to increase our research rate if we are going to catch up. The AI is not going to trade with us for a while.

Since nothing has changed I won’t post a screen shot.

Save: http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/32851/Osman_150_BC.SAV

Top Bottom