Emperor Cookbook II: Mehmed II

I saved the game in WB and played the first 2 rounds on normal speed, I'll wait with posting until yall have caught up.

Hi guys!

my round to 1500BC (sorry, forgot to play in english so the pics will be on my own language :)):

Spoiler :
I 've met Toku (on our island :eek:), Shaka (seeking revenge???), and Cyrus, all friendly AIs for sure :lol:...

Rushing a protective AI is not something I want to do so I tryed to block Toku with a city garbbing gold, clams, and corn. The gold mine is in the first ring and up and running...
Another city was settled in the end of the round to grab 3 phants (settled on one of them so it's already connected to the trade network), pigs, and another corn... No metals yet as copper is in a not so good spot.

Tech path of the round: fishing (clams) -> BW (whip, chops)-> Mysticism (monument for second city)->Hunting-> Archery (no metals)->Sailing (GL, trade network)-> Masonry (GL, walls in Toku blocking city)-> Pottery (granaries, cottages)-> Writing (OB, libs) 6 turns to go.

20bpt at -1gpt (doesn't matter much though)...
3 cities, 1 worker (the big minus of the round...), 4 warriors, 2 archers.

Some pics...
Cultural view:
Spoiler :

Ressources view:
Spoiler :

Techs:
Spoiler :

Cities:
Spoiler :

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

Attachments

• Emperor Cookbook Raskolnikov 1500 av. J-C..CivBeyondSwordSave
    103.3 KB · Views: 120
I saved the game in WB and played the first 2 rounds on normal speed, I'll wait with posting until yall have caught up.
I am sure you know this Gliese, but just to mention it for those who dont, when you take a game into the WB, save it, and run it as a scenario, the Barbs get their "techs" reset to zero. I have personally tested this, and it does make a significant difference in what units show up when the Barbs start popping (Warriors only for quite a while), and what units will be garrisons in any early Barb cities formed (Warriors instead of Archers). This is a double-edged thing, because it does make it easier for the player to conquer an early Barb city, but its just as easy for the AIs to do so.

There is a work-around for folks like Gliese, who prefer a different speed than the one the save is. You go into the WB, and save, and run the scenario like you normally would. Then, go into the WB on turn 1, and give the Barbarian AI Archery. Unfortunately, you cannot do this without seeing all the other AIs in the game.

Yup--tomorrow! We want to be sure to give weekend players a chance to catch up with the rest of us crazy Civers :).

Round I report (not that it was long...):

Spoiler :

Settled in place. Spices + Cows + better production + river & fresh water more than make up for another clam.

Tech path: Fishing - Mining - BW.

Builds: Warrior - Workboat - Workboat - Worker.

Switched to Slavery to whip the worker.

Researched AH next, Mysticism, Sailing and Masonry.

Founded two cities, the first one 2E of the gold, the second one 1S of the copper. Both cities are waiting for border pop. Have three workers (one in the capital, one heading there to help build mines, one in gold city), three warriors and three axemen. Gold city is building another axeman. Should follow with settlers & workers. Capital is building GLH. No need for roads yet as we have Sailing, so every coastal city will be connected in terms of resources and trade routes.

Pottery in progress.

Met Toku and Cyrus (workboat, N of capital) so far.

Attachments

• Emperor Carl Corey II BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    99.8 KB · Views: 110
Bleys: I wasn't sure about that actually but now that you mention it, the first 2 or 3 barbs were warriors, then I saw an archer and the only barb city that's appeared thus far is garissoned by archers. Well at least it's no biggie on this map even if it's an extra handicap, not a single barb has gotten within my cultural borders in any case, a grand total of 1 barb has tried from what I can see (I fogbusted extensively quite fast).

I think the effect on the player is minimal. Where it starts to become an "issue" is when there are big chunks of land in the AIs territory, and they form easy-picking cities early. AIs dont fogbust at all, other than having a unit or two constantly moving around. If an AI like Shaka is on a big landmass alone, he will likely get a pile a free cities.

In my tests, I constantly popped in and out of the WB, so I could check even the remote barb activity. Eventually, the barbs get Archers, and upgrade the Warrior garrisons to Archers (not sure how they pull that off, LOL), much in the same way barb cities eventually get LB.

Hey, as a point of curiosity, has anyone ever seen a stronger Barb unit than a Longbow? I wonder what would happen if you left a small island with a barb city on it totally alone until the Future Era, will the barb LBs eventually up-grade to Machine Guns or something?

I have seen barb rifles at least on several occasions, I don't know if they can get more advanced than that.

Abegweit 1500BC

Spoiler :
I am a firm believer in building the capital up to the happy cap before making any settlers and do so in almost any start with a decent food supply. This one certainly qualifies so... start by researching Fishing to get the clams online and training a warrior timed to arrive with the tech.

Both warriors went off on exploration missions. The continent has been mapped out except for the far northeast where I found two lion prides and decided that discretion is the better part of valour. The explorers met Toku, Shaka and Cyrus. The first two are to the north-west. Cyrus is likely in the unexplored northeast as I met him through a workboat near Toku's lands.

Tech order: Fishing-Mining-Bronze-Sailing-AH.

Build order: Warrior-WB-WB-Worker-Lighthouse-Warrior-Worker. The second warrior was timed to arrive when the city reached size five. Both the second worker and the lighthouse were chopped. A fair amount of queue micromanagement went into this. The warrior was actually started before the lighthouse and the worker was chopped before the warrior was trained.

Finally I trained my first settler while my warriors returned home to fogbust. The workers built a mine and pastured the cattle. They then built a road to the site of my second city. This would be at the clam-fish-gold location that nicely cuts off Toku. This city is planned to be the GP farm (or at any rate, it will hire a couple of scientists Real Soon Now). The workers farmed the corn while chopping out a monument. One went back to the capital and the other hung around for further work in the area.

My tech path continued with Mysticism, Masonry and Pottery. I am currently working on Writing in order to get that Library up in Edirne.

Meanwhile back in Istanbul, I trained a third worker and fourth warrior, then put one turn into a settler and started the GLH. When the city reached size 6, I whipped out the settler and then continued on the Great Light. The settler headed south in order to claim the copper and marble. One worker followed in order to work the copper.

As forests die out rapidly around the capital, the wonder is well on its way to completion. At the moment the city is training a worker while the whip unhappies wear off. Between the two workers, it shouldn't take long to complete.

BTW, some work has been put into a road to the south. The tile south of the miner has a turn or two and the Spices south of that has a road. Army: 4 warriors and 3 workers. A fourth worker is coming soon and a fifth is planned out of Edirne as soon as it reaches size 3.

City shots:

Attachments

• ECII Abegweit BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    109.5 KB · Views: 288
I generally prefer 2 pop whips. I might 3-4 pop when cities are at 9ish, if theres a very strong food supply, but in the beginning of the game, I dont like the 3 pop. In fact, once I get to the point I have room under my happy cap, I try to 1-pop when I can, unless I am in a BIG hurry for something.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. In secondary cities, 1 or 2 whips often work (witness my Edirne, whipped a Monument for 1, planning to whip a library for 2-3). In the capital, if I don't have enough food to whip for at least 3, I don't whip at all.

Well, in order to be able to whip for 3, you have to have your happy cap at 6+. At 1500 BC, you're lucky if your cap is above 5 anywhere but maybe the Capitol (one of the reasons CHA is so strong, those early higher happy caps). Maps like this tend to revolve around food, the sea is everywhere.

I try to keep my cities as close to the happy cap as I can once it starts to rise, because eventually, it becomes all about how many tiles are worked. You cant just REX like you could in other incarnations of this game-genre, where it was better to have 10 cities of 1 pop, since that equals 20 tiles worked, whereas 1 city of 10 pop only works 11 tiles. 3 pop whips can really put a kibosh on growth, takes a while to grow em back as you approach 10 pop city size.

This is a good map for whipping since it has food but a bit limited production. Mehmed also has many discount buildings. You don't want to whip away gold and fur but otherwise there's not an abundance of commerce.

@Abegweit:
Spoiler :
Nice round!
One comment: you should have mined the eastern mine of istanbul for one point of commerce ;)
One question: How can you have a farm south east of Edirne? event?
Impressive job with worker production... :)

Cheers,
Raskolnikov

RRRaskolnikov

Spoiler :

The body of water between Edirne and the capital is a lake.

Top Bottom