Emperor Cookbooks. Toku (Japan)

My save isn't eligible since it is 3.19, but I guess I'll post a few screenies anyway...I played this much further until I was in a runaway winning position but I won't comment on that...just to 1500 BC:

Spoiler :

Well, I think you can guess my intent based on the above two. Opened up AG ---> AH (to improve the 2 best specials we have). Settled in place and worked plains forest 1st, then plains hill when available to get 1st workboat. Build a 2nd workboat while growing to 2, then sent it to improve the 2nd seafood. From there it was worker ----> warriors + grow to cap ----> settler.

Nearing alphabet, where I can trade for the likes of sailing, BW, possibly IW, and then research the pre-reqs for monarchy.

We don't need early BW here. We can work six (!) special tiles (counting the floodplains) without that tech. Emperor barbs are a joke and can easily be taken down by warriors.

As I said, I'm stopping it off here. I didn't realize we were on huge and so I just played to the point it was obvious I'd win later rather than finishing it...huge is hell on my machine.

Personally, I am a low Monarch-Emperor player, and would REALLY like to play this, but my computer can't take huge. So I would love a reroll.

I could set up a standard map. I think playing 2 maps would distract from the objective of the cookbooks.

I should of perhaps got someone to check the map. if the huge map is putting everyone off I can add the standard map.

Huge maps are a pain, especially with low seas. You should be able to spam out a 10-15 city empire peacefully. Imagine microing that through the entire game... ugh.

Setting up a similar Emperor map on standard size wouldnt be impossible at this stage. For me the key part of this exercise is to ensure as many people as possible take part.

Any map is always good to practise for starts. I will have a think on maps for now.

I would still encourage people to try the start on the huge map.

I have a nice standard map for Toku of a game as him that I just finished. It's a big & small map and is definitely playable up to the future era. (I know it 'cause I have a slow machine). I can post it here if you want to check it.

I'm not a fan of huge maps. I don't like epic speed. Toks traits do not suit my play style. And I have patched to 3.19. I guess I will sit this one out and join the next time. I'll probably shadow and throw in a few comments from the side.

RJM

I'm not a fan of huge maps. I don't like epic speed. Toks traits do not suit my play style. And I have patched to 3.19. I guess I will sit this one out and join the next time. I'll probably shadow and throw in a few comments from the side.

RJM

Gonna switch to a standard size map. Need to upload it with pics of BFC when i get home. I think the huge map is putting some off.

I didnt expect Japan to be a nations favourite leader due to his traits and starting techs. You dont improve your game playing leaders that make your game easier.

I am sure we'll be back with another game after this. ;)

Here is my effort. It's a 3.19 save, so not eligable, but it probably wouldn't have gotten any votes anyway.
Spoiler :
With 2 seafood specials, I would normally start with a work boat, but I decided to experiment with a worker and research agric. I followed with mining and bronze working. No copper, so I went for hunting and archery. I decided to pursue the Pyramids, so I went for masonary; then on to pottery and writing, followed by a beeline to literature. I'm not very impressed by the land revealed by my exploration. I've founded one new city with another available next turn, although the locations are not what I would like. If this were a private game, I'd probably start again. I wonder what others will make of it.

RJM

Attachments

• RJM Emperor Cookbook round 1 BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    221.8 KB · Views: 50
Gave it a shot.

Spoiler :

Tech Path
AG->AH->Mining->BW->Myst->Pottery->Writing

Declared on Liz to get a worker with WII warrior.

Units

Cities

Empire North

Empire South

Attachments

• Toku Emperor Cookbook MC BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    221.5 KB · Views: 50
I have added a standard sized map. Medium seas, no huts or events.

Whether we continue both maps I leave up to you lot. I think the huge map will take a lot of effort to finish off on this type of event.

I think the new standard map will be just the sort of challenge the cookbook will rise to. (Yes i did check the settings page this time. :lol::lol::lol:)

Standard size, 1500BC, 3.19 - doubt my save will be any good anyway, I'm a monarch player at best this is purely for comparison so I can learn some things :)

Spoiler :

Settled 1N for plains hill start, giving up up some grass for plains but the early advantage makes it worth it I think. Build went work boat->work boat->worker->warr->warr->warr->settler. Early tech was hun-ah-min-bw-ag-pottery-myst-writing, in retrospect bw first might have been better to chop out settler more quickly.

2nd City went up at the copper-fish-pigs site, since barbs always screw me on emp thought I'd get those axes online fast. Rather sweet looking GP farm spot to the right for later as well. Didn't see any barbs at all so far apart from a city below left though, the AI must have took most of them out, annoying because could have grabbed a site towards jao as my 2nd city instead.

3rd City went just below capital for rice and oasis, followed quickly by a 4th towards Jao for elephants and spices.

Decided to chop out stonehenge since I could use monuments in my cities quickly, managed to get it fairly late ~1600BC thankfully. Next I shall be pumping out a few more settlers/workers from the capital while axemen come from the top city in order to settle a bit more land, particularly the chokepoint below where the horses are, I want to block off the AIs from the left quickly as possible. I'm thinking 6-7 cities then elephant attack on Jao, shall see how it goes.

How things look now:

Attachments

• EC2 - Round 1 - Inso - 1500bc.CivBeyondSwordSave.CivBeyondSwordSave
    94.9 KB · Views: 77
I do think the patch will be an issue with this cookbook as not all players have upgraded to 3.19. I was intending this as a 3.17 game. Come the second round this could be an issue. Hmmm

convert winners save to wordbuilder save and go on?

i don't think 3.19 is different enough to cause problems.

Not a bad idea. Could do a duel set up but long term 3.19 would be my preferred choice once HOF is updated to this.

Could you make it a bit clearer in the top post which save we're meant to be playing? I had to read the whole thread before really understanding which one I should play! I take it its the standard one though.

Yep standard map!!!!! Didnt intend a huge map!

Until 1500BC, Standard Map. As it's 3.19 and my save's not eligible I switched the speed to Marathon and turned events on.

Spoiler :

I settled in place. Techpath was Agri, AH, Mining, BW, Masonry (I selected it by mistake and only noticed when had already researched more than half of it), Pottery, Writing (not finished yet).

Settled three more cities to establish the borders and, as I had nothing else to build there, chopped The Great Wall in Osaka. I'm currently building the Mids there for the failure cash. I'll probably stop once Writing is over.

The workers are currently cottaging the empire, except for Osaka, where I'm still connecting the resources and it's more of a production city with horses, ivory, stone, cows and plains hills. At least the Oasis lets us build some farms. If my math is right, build a farm and work all the production tiles. I settled Tokyo in the wrong place because I didn't know Mehmed already had settled where he did and it only appeared when I clicked "B". At least we'll get the Ivory and the Cow back. Satsuma has potential to be a mixed commerce/production city. Picture of the empire so far:
Spoiler :

We're going to take control of the horses in the border with Mali in a moment:

Spoiler :

Our north. Note that the barbs built a city in the exact same place I'd build mine, so it makes things easier.
Spoiler :

The plans for the future are claiming that copper site to start having worthy defenses and maturing some cottages. After that we'll take the barb city and see how the world is. Hinduism has spread to one of our cities but we didn't convert because only Hatty follows that faith and I want to have the same religion as Kublai Khan, João and Mansa Musa (yeah, I know. But he has Skirmishers and we have warriors:eek:).

PS. Is the name of the file correct?

Attachments

• Ig Teacher Toku Emp Cookbook BC-1500.CivBeyondSwordSave
    118.2 KB · Views: 56
Top Bottom