Emperor Willem Archipelago

M60A3TTS

Ex-treadhead
The second game on Emperor.

As the name implies, we are Willem (creative, financial) on a standard size archapelago. Low sea level, no huts or events.

A very seafood intense start.

Attachments

• Willem Archapelago BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.2 KB · Views: 20
No screenshot? Archipelago is a very easy map script, but surely you can learn a thing or two.

Civ4ScreenShot0091.JPG

I actually have been busy and haven't done anything yet. No reason not to SIP that I see.

Not a great start. No :hammers: to build the boats and only 1 shareable seafood. If warrior finds corn or something I'd consider walking inlands with the settler.

SIP does give you the fish, no guarantee you'll get them if you move. It will be a slowish start but once you've got workboats out you'll be able to grow and expand reasonably quickly. I'd probably go SIP, build workboats, research mining>BW and coincide first worker with BW. You might find a better starting city location, you might not and just lose turns going back to where you started.

Archipelago may be easy but its likely to be different to the standard (research HbR, chop HAs, research miltrad, whip cuirassiers) game.

I believe there is a landmass across the water there.

I really abhor these types of start, especially with no tiles to speed up a wb. Very slow start no matter how you look at it. I agree with sampsa that I'd move inland. I don't find archi maps particularly good for learning if that is your goal.

Have played thousands of Archip maps in different sizes etc. (find most fun map type of all - predictable in some areas but wide open in others) and in general there is "no inland" (not much of it at least). Now, this start is weak-ish (even for Archi standards - at least until food is "online") but 2 Ocean Fish with few chops can give decent opening. Oh, and land barbs in general are not an issue (at least big) while Galleys... yeah, they can be annoying feature (big plus for Ocean Fish- can't pillage these). And if there is map type where whipping is everything, this is the one. And also great map to build single most powerful wonder in game :coffee:

Just to be clear - I'd move the warrior in a way that uncovers as many tiles as possible, then SIP if/when no corn/wheat/rice etc. I would not advise wandering blindly in this case. It's not a great start, but it's not horrible either.

This is a start where you don't want to improve both fishes (1 is probably necessary). FIN clams are great tiles & getting an early granary will more than make up for the lost food. Since this is Archi you'll probably want the GLH as well, which also requires extra beakers.

I hadn't expected RL to get in the way, but that's what I was dealing with the last few days.

Thanks for all the feedback. I've gone ahead and rolled a second start which actually does have far better production potential along with a wet corn. I'm thinking I'd prefer to go with this one. Here I'd SIP and start with mining in 8. Worker out in 12 to work the corn.
Civ4ScreenShot0092.JPG

Attachments

• Willem Archapelago II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    31.4 KB · Views: 16
Well, some choices already. Coastal FIN fish is a strong tile (5:food:3:commerce:) and you could have it improved on T6 if SIP. Settling on the stone is very tempting, but delays the fish 2T. It would speed up the worker 1T though, so perhaps on stone and worker first? Maybe worker will run out of useful tasks quickly though. Finding out which one is best requires some calculation, but intuitively I'd go for the stone and boat first.

SoS seems an absolute no-brainer here. 1wb first with forest PH on turn 3. Mining>BW. Only question is whether to start worker after wb or grow size 2 with a slavery switch and 1 popper.

SoS seems an absolute no-brainer here. 1wb first with forest PH on turn 3. Mining>BW. Only question is whether to start worker after wb or grow size 2 with a slavery switch and 1 popper.
It's not THAT clear IMO. SoS is 2T later fish. Forest PH has no impact.

Yeah, I guess it would need to be tested. Maybe you already did that. I'm thinking more about when the worker comes out than the boat, but yeah ..at a glance...the wb may be slower. But would the overall start be faster in the "longer" term?

The warrior move may present something attractive too, but we're really talkin' +1h over SIP so maybe not that bigga deal. Good food starts with a 3h tile (well, +2h) are so rare that I just salivate when I see them :)

Although certainly never a priority, SIP would make a nice Maoi cap, especially as most sea tiles are coastal. (And good fail gold op)

Nice Willie start here...he can head straight to BW...then prolly Sailing-Masonry.

Last edited:
I was a bit unsure so I ran some numbers.

Both options get wb->worker done by T15. Stone is at -15 :commerce: , +2:hammers:, +3:food:
By T23 when both cities have reached size 3, Stone is at -12:commerce:, +11:hammers:, +3:food: and has a second workboat out.

Having an early 5:hammers: stone mine will help SIP not lag behind too much from this point on, but the 3:hammers: city center still wins by a significant margin.

If you want early stone settling on it really speeds it up. No time wasted on quarry. Mining a zero food early is not great.

So earlier fish by 2 turns vs +1 hammer on stone. That could be worth 10 food over 2 turns plus 2 commerce.

Looks likely that stone will give another couple of riverside cottages.

Elected to SoS. WB in 6. I have never done archapelago to completion so should be an education.

Civ4ScreenShot0093.JPG

And on Turn 2... really? Not remotely isolated.

Civ4ScreenShot0094.JPG

Top Bottom