1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

End of CivWorld

Discussion in 'CivWorld - General Discussions' started by Circuit, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Circuit

Circuit Writing Letters

This just posted by the Civilization World fan page on Facebook:

Seems CivWorld is going with the trend of many other Facebook games. Zynga has been making cuts to its games as well. I've never played CivWorld, but I hate to see this happen to a Civilization title, even if it's an offshoot.

Moderator Action: Source

2. ThERat

ThERat Chieftain

I won't be sad about this. To me, the game was absolutely terrible and had nothing at all to do with the game we know as civilization.
    I am not surprised it ended up this way.

3. Sarang235

Sarang235 Chieftain

Yeah the game is finally coming to an end:rolleyes:. Glad that I didn't spend anything on civbucks :):lol:

4. krasny

krasny Chieftain

Farewell to Sid's vanity project.

Had it not diverted much needed resources from the development of Civ 5, I might be a little bit sad.

But worry not, as we speak, Sid has plans to divert funds from Civ 6 for his iOS vanity project.

5. KerwiniusJones

KerwiniusJones Chieftain

Yay! Death to all mobile / social network games (aka games with all strategy, story, or any thinking removed). People thinking games like this are games is hurting the industry.

6. krasny

krasny Chieftain

Facebook games are fine.

Facebook pastimes and other fluff which pose as games, which siphon resources away from proper Civ are beyond the pale and beneath contempt.

Sid should be ashamed of himself.

7. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

I tried to play CivWorld, but the whole social aspect ruined it. I'm hoping Firaxis learns from this mistake in gaming and produces something amazing next, perhaps another Sid Meier's Pirates!

8. Antilogic

Antilogic Chieftain

Is anyone seriously surprised by this?

9. Vortilex

Vortilex Imperator Mundi

Tbh, I had almost completely forgotten about CivWorld.

10. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

A minor one; I thought there wasn't much cost in them keeping it up. (And so at some point there just wouldn't be any more updates [like those playing say SMAC(X), there's been no updates for years but you can still play it.]) Maybe facebook is charges more games on their site than I thought.
    (Zygna likes to have frequent limited time things in all their games, so it wasn't surprising that they pulled their less popular games.)

11. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

I did play couple of games there (and became highest ranking player once). Massively multiplayer aspect of the game was very fun -- for the first time a player could experience internal rivalries and tension INSIDE his empire -- very realistic aspect totally missed by franchise so far. Mini-games were silly for strategy players, though. This idea should be further polished and developed, not shut down. Sad.

12. CivFart

CivFart Chieftain

I think Sid Meier cancelled Civ World because the designers portrayed Sid Meier with gray beard on the title box, this must have been a huge insult to a creative man like that.

13. Maniacal

Maniacal the green Napoleon

14. lordofcivs

lordofcivs Lord of The Civilizations

Good to learn about this. The game was really bad, and could not be simply 'revised' for improvements. It should have been shut down long ago.

15. SMA333M

SMA333M Chieftain

They could make this as a browser based TBS, on it's own website, not on Facebook. And you should be able to have your own civilization. This way, it could be much more interesting. And instead of having the civs from PC version, you should just give what name you want to your civ and choose some benefits, at the beginning. Custom Civs.

You know... managing your cities like in Civ 5, doing battles like in Civ World, researching, etc. Could be interesting. I'd play that !

16. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

I never like to see a game go down, but a Facebook game. Eh. Not so sure it's a bad thing.

What they need to do is make a high quality mobile Civ.

17. grandgeneralbob

grandgeneralbob Chieftain

well......... you might be my exact equal twin, except i don't like commas. Go ciVI!!!

18. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

19. subanark

subanark Chieftain

Personally, I liked the direction that Civ 5 was going. I just don't think they got there. A good game should not overwhelm the players with options. The 1 unit per tile went in that direction, but the combat didn't quite work out as well as could be hoped.

20. Antilogic

Antilogic Chieftain

Civ needs innovation on the military side--the economic side of the game has developed well since the first two iterations. Some kind of gradually-expanding OOB system would be perfect for the turn-based nature of the game.