(E&E) Civilization VI - Deep Dive: Ireland

TyrannusRex

Warlord
Whereas the First Look posts endeavor to emulate an official reveal akin to Firaxis' own videos, (or at least what their videos used to be like) these Deep Dives will explore the concepts and mechanics of the civ on a deeper level as well as providing some nice 'flavor' text and some insight into my design process.
For a quick refresher:

Irish Empire
Éirinn go Brách

Irish cities that keep their original Pantheon/Religion as well as those that remain undiscovered by other civilizations generate +20% bonus Culture. If an Irish city is captured by another civilization, it yields -10% Culture than normal until freed.
Hobelar
Unique light cavalry unit that replaces the Courser. Costs less to create or upgrade and has increased movement that is not affected by Hills or Rivers.
Ringfort
Unique tile improvement that unlocks with Masonry. Can be constructed around Farms, Plantations, Camps, Pastures, and any completed, non-defensible District to add protection against pillaging. The Ringfort on a given tile must be destroyed before the tile can be pillaged.

Brian Boru
King of Tributes

All Trade Routes connecting Irish cities with those of friendly or allied civilizations yield +3 Gold. All tribal villages met or any barbarian outposts pillaged within 10 tiles of an Irish city yield +20 Gold in addition to their normal yield. All city-states grant a bonus of 25 Gold the first time Ireland becomes their suzerain.
Great Liberator
Likes civilizations who defy the will of stronger civilizations. Dislikes those who actively or unfairly target other civilizations or who conquer many city-states.

Brian Boru, High King of Ireland, you lead an indomitable and proud people. The verdant hills of the Emerald Isle will remain safe and free from invaders under your watchful and steady hand. Build ringforts to protect your subjects, send hobelars to harass your enemies, but most of all, look inward - for there, you will find Éirinn's greatest strength. It is with this strength of spirit and determination that you will guide your people forward, and forevermore will history say that you carried with you the luck of the Irish.

Brian's Details

Religion: Catholicism
General personality: Initially untrusting but hides a warm and amicable disposition.
(This general description I thought would be helpful to get across what it would feel like to play against and interact with the leaders, since you can't see them animated.)

Dialogue:
Brian would speak Middle Irish (Gaoidhealg) ideally, as it was the form of the language active during his lifetime, though if a lack of scholarship, translation, or other issues conspired to make its usage unfeasible, I'd recommend using the modern Irish language (preferably a form from Munster, where Brian was born) with some archaisms thrown in, such as his name being Brian Bóruma instead of the modern Brian Bóramha.

Spoiler Dialogue :

Voiced Lines:

Greeting:
“Hail, stranger. I am Brian Boru, High King of Ireland and protector of her people. If you prove no threat to Éirinn, you shall find rest among us.”

Agenda-based Approval: “Let no foreign power bend you to their will, friend! Stand firm as the Corrán Tuathail!”
The Corrán Tuathail or Carrauntoohil is the highest mountain in Ireland.

Agenda-based Disapproval: “A king should rule magnanimously and wield his strength with discretion. You fail to do so, and I need only ask your subjects.”

Attacked: “Hah! This is not the first time war has been brought to these shores. But through it all, Ireland will last forever!”

Declares War: “Your rule is an affront to God that cannot be allowed to stand any longer. And so, in God’s name, I shall strike you from the earth.”

Defeated: “Alas! Éirinn has fallen… why should I survive such losses, even should I attain the sovereignty of the world?”

Civilopedia Quote: “As long as that standard remains erect, it shall go well with the men of Éirinn.”
These last two were inspired by/taken from a literary account of Brian's death in An Illustrated History of Ireland by Margaret Anne Cusack.

Unvoiced Lines:

Invitation to Capital:
“The Irish lands are vibrant and green this time of year, and no better place can that be seen than in our capital.”

Invitation to City: “If it should so please you, come walk with me through our nearest city. On the hillside, you can see Padraig’s shamrock and the lesson it gives of the Trinity.”

Sends Delegation: “My kinsmen bring to you gifts of the finest beer and the most golden butter, to be spread upon the softest bread you’ve ever known.”

Accepts Delegation: “Your delegates and I prayed at the monastery before retiring to the palace for a sumptuous feast.”

Rejects Delegation: "We have no room in our cities for your delegates at this time."

Accepts Declaration of Friendship: “May the banners of our nations ever be united!”

Rejects Declaration of Friendship: “It is not yet time to make such a commitment.”

Offers Friendship: “After much thought, my people have decided you are to be trusted. Shall we let the world know of our bond?”

Player Accepts Offer of Friendship: "Hurrah! To a powerful union!"

Player Rejects Offer of Friendship: "How can a wise leader turn down such an offer?"

Trade Deal Accepted: “Thank you kindly.”

Too Many Troops Near Border: “Do not test my people’s goodwill with your brash actions. Move your troops away at once.”

Denounced by Player: “Never has such foolishness flown from as foul a gob as yours!”

Denounces Player: “May God give me strength not to smite you where you stand.”

Ireland's Details
Start bias: Tier 2 towards Marsh, Grassland Hills; Tier 3 towards Coast, River; Tier 5 towards resources improved by Farms and Pastures
Ideal victory types: Culture, Religion
Jerseys:
Ireland default.png
Ireland alt 1.png
Ireland alt 2.png
Ireland alt 3.png

The Celtic harp has long been a national symbol for Ireland and her people.
The first three jerseys take inspiration from Ireland's association with green. Numbers 2 and 4 take inspiration from the flag of the Republic of Ireland.

City list:
Spoiler Irish Cities :

🌟Cashel
Dublin
Armagh
Cork
Belfast
Galway
Limerick
Kilkenny
Athlone
Waterford
Drogheda
Dundalk
Louth
Clonmel
Killarney
Bray
Sligo
Cobh
Mallow
Letterkenny
Carlow
Portlaoise
Tralee
Shannon
Wexford
Passage West
Loughrea
Balbriggan
Arklow
Muckanaghederdauhaulia

(In case you can't tell, I like to include Easter egg or humorous-sounding location names in the final slot.) : P

Citizen list:
Spoiler Irish Citizens :

Males
Aodh
Cathbhar
Conchobhar
Cormac
Fionn
Maolmordha
Niall
Pádraig
Tadhg
Ualgarg

Females
Aislinn
Aoife
Bríd
Doireann
Emer
Gormlaith
Luighseach
Méabh
Ríonach
Úna

Modern Males
Aran
Brennan
Connor
Declan
Keegan
Kevin
Patrick
Rian
Seán
Séamus

Modern Females
Alannah
Anya
Bridget
Caitlin
Deirdre
Erin
Mona
Saoirse
Shea
Talulla

River names: River Shannon, River Barrow, River Blackwater, River Glyde, Dargle River, Roogagh River...
Lake names: Lough Neagh, Lough Leane, Lough Corrib, Lough Derravaragh, Lough Ramor, Glencar Lough, Muckross Lake...
Sea/Ocean names: Atlantic Ocean, North Sea, Celtic Sea, Irish Sea, St. George's Channel
Mountain Range names: Macgillycuddy's Reeks, Mourne Mountains, Wicklow Mountains, Sperrins, Twelve Bens, Slieveardagh Hills, Boggeragh Mountains, Maumturks...
Volcano names: Slieve Gullion, Croghan Hill, Mount Slemish, Loch na Fooey

Civilization theme: Óró 'sé do bheatha 'bhaile
An Irish folk song of obscure origin that eventually came to be associated with the Jacobite Uprising, and later, with adaptation, Irish independence. It tells of Grace O'Malley, or Gráinne Mhaol in her native tongue, a formidable pirate who sailed the western coast of Ireland and eventually became an icon of the country itself.

Examples for Inspiration: "Medieval Era"
"Industrial Era"
Ideally, I would keep the lyrics in each era's composition, since I think they really add something to the musical accompaniment, and it would be a nice change of pace from the music of most European civs. (Ultimately, I trust Phill, Geoff, and Roland's capable hands.) :salute:

I probably won't normally provide ambient track suggestions, since I don't consider myself very well versed in various cultures' music, but here, I do think an excellent choice for an instrumental track would be Siúil a Rún, a song with frankly a very lovely melody that would fit well within a game like Civ VI.
My personal favorite rendition of the song, albeit with lyrics:
Edit: Found an instrumental version I like!

Ultimately, when I set out to design an Irish civ, I wanted to design one that focused on the Irish people's strong will and rich history. To me, what came to mind was Irish independence, as embodied by figures like Brian Boru and Gráinne Mhaol, and eventually won after terrible strife and conflict. The Irish aren't a people I see as being kept down easily. I apologize if my representation feels hollow or incomplete compared to other civs - Ireland actually was my first attempt at making one, I've been working on this project a long time - but I ultimately feel happy with it. That's not to say I may not tweak things after some more thought, however. I admit there are probably things that could be improved.

Hobelar's Details

Era: Medieval
Promotion Tree: Light Cavalry
Upgrades from: Horseman
Upgrades to: Cavalry
Unlocks with: Castles
Obsolete with: Synthetic Materials
(Is it just me that thinks that should be Military Science because that's when the Cavalry unlocks? No?)
Cost:
•10 Horses
•120 Production
•650 Gold
•3 Gold maintenance cost
Stats:
•Movement: 6 (unaffected by Hills or Rivers)
•Melee: 48
•Sight: 2

Ringfort's Details
Unlocked by: Masonry
Built by: Builder, Military Engineer
Pillage award: Nothing
Terrain: Existing Farm, Plantation, Camp, Pasture, or completed, non-defensible District
Effects:
•Protects tile beneath from pillaging until it is pillaged itself. Can only be pillaged, never destroyed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom