England - Victoria Thread

The leader icons from this video:

Victoria and Teddy.png

It looks like Teddy's icon was changed? For reference, from the First Look America video:

Teddy.png

How does a Unique District works? The Royal Dockyard seems to grant 3 bonuses, maybe they are tied to the 3 buildings? Or they are granted as soon as the district is up and running? Either way, is it visually distinct than generic Harbor districts?

I would argue that 'dry dock' and 'wet dock' are even more generic. And I also think that having a shipyard as a unique for England is reasonable; certainly England had outstanding dock facilities during the empire era, far better than any of their contemporaries.

Were these as advanced as US shipyards during WWII? Probably not. But the royal navy secured England's dominance as the most powerful country in the world for over a century, and the highly efficiency shipyards were a large part of that.

Did the French have shipyards during this time? Sure. Were they a strong focus of national policy? Definitely not. It is a good unique for England.

Of course it is reasonable as it would be insane to be argue against a unique for England not related to the navy. It just seems at first glance rather uninspiring and that is all I really wanted to point out. Please don't take it out of context.

Of course it is reasonable as it would be insane to be argue against a unique for England not related to the navy. It just seems at first glance rather uninspiring and that is all I really wanted to point out. Please don't take it out of context.

Uninspiring on taken as an individual building for sure. But this is the second unique i've ever seen that gives genuine flavour and incentive for a civilization to act and develop in a way the genuine empire did. The first being the great wall UI. This is genuinely incentivising a strong navy and an overseas empire :goodjob:

Or the Icon is different depending on whether you're playing as or against the civilization.

Nah, that would be mad. I think the second image must be an earlier draft, as the second one looks genuinely like Teddy's leaderscreen. Wouldn't make sense to have another while you are playing as him that looks less like him.

The leader icons from this video:

It looks like Teddy's icon was changed? For reference, from the First Look America video:

Yes, they also need to change the borders and make them look like in Civ V.

The look of each redcoat unit is different it seems like. At the 0:42 mark, you can see with the first unit, three out of the four soldiers have bayonets attached to their muskets, one does not. With the second unit that disembarks, only one of them have a bayonet. Also, the redcoat officer, who has a has a different officers hat on, is located second to the right of the unit. With the second unit, he is in the far right.

How does a Unique District works? The Royal Dockyard seems to grant 3 bonuses, maybe they are tied to the 3 buildings?

Good question. I would hope it's simply tied to the District itself and not the buildings as it makes this district particularly powerful. We don't yet know the bonuses a Harbor supplies, but we do know that the Shipyard offers the first batch of Great Admiral points that we've seen so far.

Considering districts and buildings are tied to tech advancements (duh), and the progression thus far seems to go; Distrct -> Lighthouse -> Shipyard -> ??? (or perhaps, mysterious building and then the shipyard)

It's entirely possible that England will have the earliest Great Admirals in the game pretty much always, as they'll have access to a "building" (the district) that adds GA points from the earliest Naval techs. Which at the very least seems to be several technologies behind the building that would normally provide these Admiral points.

This plus the base increase to gold appears to make it a strong district.

Surprised by the lack of Spies/MI5 stuff for England.

Somewhat confused by the reduced amount of unique stuff, when compared to the US.

Puzzled by the deliberate way they clearly avoided differentiating between Leader and Civ uniques in this video.

Well, most unique buildings are just generic slightly-better replacements for things everyone else builds (an exception might be the Roman Forum) - so how is the royal shipyard uninspiring?

What could they have chosen that you think would have been better?

The look of each redcoat unit is different it seems like. At the 0:42 mark, you can see with the first unit, three out of the four soldiers have bayonets attached to their muskets, one does not. With the second unit that disembarks, only one of them have a bayonet. Also, the redcoat officer, who has a has a different officers hat on, is located second to the right of the unit. With the second unit, he is in the far right.

It's not an officer - he merely wears a shako, which was in use in many countries around 1800-1840 AD and most notably during the Napoleonic wars. The three other guys wear tricorne hats that were in use throughout the 18th century and went out of fashion by 1790's.

It's not an officer - he merely wears a shako, which was in use in many countries around 1800-1840 AD and most notably during the Napoleonic wars. The three other guys wear tricorne hats that were in use throughout the 18th century and went out of fashion by 1790's.

Oh thanks. Pardon my ignorance. I'm American.

Somewhat confused by the reduced amount of unique stuff, when compared to the US.

Puzzled by the deliberate way they clearly avoided differentiating between Leader and Civ uniques in this video.

Sounds like MI5 confirmed to me;)

Oh thanks. Pardon my ignorance. I'm American.

Being American has nothing to do with it. No one is expected to know as much as Janborouta when it comes to stuff like this.

Is it me or does she look a bit, err, "off"? Like she has some extra chromosomes.

You mean, she doesn't have giant breasts and or look like a sexual fantasy object, like every other female character in the gaming industry?

Sounds like MI5 confirmed to me;)

:lol:

That's only fair game as long as some sort of hint can be found in the video.

I see nothing of the sort... but if it exists, Arioch shall find it for us.

1) They've stated that they are trying to make each civ different than how it played in Civ V.

2) It's not the quantity of bonuses. It's the potency that is balanced.

Which illustrates the minor complaint I have with Civ V and now, it looks like it applies to Civ VI as well: historical inaccuracies that have perfectly historical counterparts that could have been used.

In this case, both the shako and the tricorn were obsolete BEFORE Victoria ever came on the throne AND they were never worn at the same time. Therefore, these are not really Redcoats, but a bunch of historical re-enactors getting together at a convention for a photo shoot.
Oh, and the red coat was abandoned during Victoria's reign, so it's not even particularly appropriate for this particular leader.

But those are quibbles that don't affect play of the game (and certainly won't stop me from buying and playing it!)

The bigger problem is that they still haven't fixed the Uniques As Straitjackets or Inappropriate Uniques problem.
For instance: Britain/England's Uniques seem directed towards a naval power, expand to other continents style - what if you're playing on a Pangaea Map?

TR and America doesn't like people starting wars on 'his' Continent.
What if He's on a Pangaea Map - does he end up at war with everybody?
What is he's on an Archipelago with no room for any other nation/player?

I hope I make my point: again, as in Civ V, Uniques are only applicable in certain situations, and may be completely inappropriate in the particular game you are playing, unless you go in and pre-set the starting conditions and map.

What this guarantees is that Modders will be IMMEDIATELY proposing 'different' combinations of Uniques and Leaders for each popular Civilization in the game, as has happened in Civ V (by my count, there are at least 3 different 'England' Mods, including Victoria, Henry VIII, and Churchill, and USA Mods that include Franklin Roosevelt, Lincoln, and TR - look for at least as many in Civ VI within 6 - 10 months of the game's release!)

1) They've stated that they are trying to make each civ different than how it played in Civ V.

2) It's not the quantity of bonuses. It's the potency that is balanced.

Eagle, with all due respect, do we have any information whatsoever that points in this direction (different amount of Uniques per Civ), or is this all speculation on your part?

Top Bottom