Enhanced Goody System (Unit only Goodies and Protected Goodies) [IMPLEMENTED]

Ehh... Sorry, I didn't bother with editing the artdefines at all, just copy-pasted them.
That is perfectly fine, I can do that myself. :thumbsup:
I just wanted to say that both of them will be Improvements.

If I have problems with the ArtDefs in XML I will annoy @Schmiddie. :mischief:
(But it really should not be a problem for me.)

Last edited:
Sorry guys, my brain is too wasted today from the last working week ...

So all I do today is "small stuff".
(e.g. test playing, balancing and small mini features)

So here is one of these "mini features":
I added 2 new Goody Events:
  • Disoriented Native Trader
  • Wounded Ranger
Edit:
By the way I already discovered an error in the text and have already corrected it. ;)
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 362
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 367
I have two models in mind...
@Schmiddie

Will you be able to create Improvement graphics for "Hostile Native Village"?
(As I said, it does not need to be anything extraordinary.)

Creating the small feature "Goodies that are protected by Hostiles" would be feature for "in between".
(Something to relax my mind, when I am tired or too wasted to work on something bigger or to regain motivation again after "tedious updating of existing maps".)

Hm, we need to be careful with that! To my view Scouts would become useless respectively you can no longer send them on "auto explore" because if they find hostiles they will be most likely killed. You would need to explore the map with dragoons or cavalry. And scouts would loose their advantage of speed when exploring. I see currently only a possibility for alternative 2 - i.e. they stay on the goody hut and protect them but will not follow the scout/unit and the unit will not attack them automatically.

Or it will make Scouts more realistic. Instead of stacking every +speed -terrainmovement promotion on a scout while ignoring everything else that promotions can offer, perhaps with a higher threat Scouts would instead take promotions that give bonuses vs. animals.

Or it will make Scouts more realistic. Instead of stacking every +speed -terrainmovement promotion on a scout while ignoring everything else that promotions can offer, perhaps with a higher threat Scouts would instead take promotions that give bonuses vs. animals.

I agree, but we need to find a compromise for "experienced players" and "casual players". :think:

Potential Solution:
(Once the feature "Goodies that spawn Hostiles" is generally implemented.)

We might consider to add a Game Option: "Continuous Spawning from Hostile Goodies".
That would however require additional effort because I would have to implement a second spawning systems on top - which is only activated when you set the Game Option.

Then both of our "focus groups" would be happy. :)
  • "Casual Player" could leave the Game Option deactivated (only 2 immobile Defenders when generated / placed)
  • "Strategic Players" could turn the Game Option on (2 immobile Defenders when generated / placed but additionally spawning one moving Defender every X turns)
-----

Argh! I knew it ... :cringe:
Every time I suggest a "tiny feature" it slowly grows bigger and bigger ... ;)

Last edited:
We might consider to add a Game Option: "Continuous Spawning from Hostile Goodies".
We have two options for this: map option and game option.
Map option: players are asked even if it's not a custom game
Game option: players are only asked if it's a custom game
Multiplayer is always custom

There is one problem with map options though. They are only available in random maps. Scenario files will only allow players to touch game options. Looks like we have to pick one. I suppose it could also be linked to the difficulty level meaning easy levels won't spawn and harder levels will increase spawn rate. Maybe put spawn rate in difficulty level and an on/off switch elsewhere.

Argghhh so many options.

We have two options for this: map option and game option.
I would strongly prefer "Game Option" - it is proven in use (and I know how to do it). :)
(So if players really want to use it they can simply start a Custom Game - which is what most "Strategic Players" do anyways.)

And as you said - it works for all Maps. :thumbsup:
("Randomizing Maps" and "Full Scenario Maps".)

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
Hi Folks
Ray asked my for some graphics that could fit as a "Hostile Native Village" :ninja:
I found this Barbarian Camp (not created by me), I think this is from Civ4 Mod "Fall from Heaven" - take a look...

Spoiler Barbarian Camp :

I also attached the art file if you want to use it... :)
scale for the xml artDef:
Code:
<fScale>18.5</fScale>
:hatsoff:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 218
  • BarbarianCamp.7z
    24.1 KB · Views: 35
@Kathy has also created awesome grahics for "Hostile Native Village" specifically for us. :worship:

I would really not have expected you to put extra effort into creating completely new graphics for us. :eek:
It is greatly appreciated. :)

Spoiler :

Edit:
Parts of the new graphic Kathy created are from @hrochland, so we need to include him in the credits as well.
(Kathy just informed me about it.)

Attachments

• Native_Village_Kathy.jpg
    Native_Village_Kathy.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Native Village Goodie.7z
    161.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
So ok, this is what I would do.

The graphics from "Fall from Heaven" kindly posted by @Willi_Tell I would use for "Raider's Camp".
The newly created graphics crated by @Kathy I would use for "Hostile Native Village".
The graphics we already got posted from @Zeta Nexus I would use for "Wild Animal Cave".

To all of you:
Many many thanks for your support. :hug:
Especially to @Kathy who has put extra effort into creating completely new graphics.

-----

Since I have now all graphics needed I can fully implement and test this feature ("Protected Goodies") this weekend. :)
Woahh ... I got new toys to play with !!! :woohoo:

I might also add a game option in a later step - that would allow to active a second feature "Continuous Spawning from Hostile Camps".
(But that will probalby be added at another time.)

-----

@team
Everybody ok with this?
(Let me know before I start coding the feature.)

Last edited:
I like Kathy's graphic...but...

I was thinking about different graphics for native hostile camps because camps looking like tepees from the plains should not spawn all over the map - but only in areas where such tribes are located. However, in order not to put too much effort into this, maybe we could have a more general graphic that fits for all different tribes in the New World.

And to be honest...personally I do not like the barbarians camp. It does not fit to WTP. But that is my personal feeling.

I'm fine with the cave graphic.

@Schmiddie

Sorry, I was just trying to save you some efforts. :sad:
I have seen how extremely buys you were working on all the other great graphics improvements.

If you do not want me to add the graphics, I of course will not do so. :thumbsup:
Maybe you can however reuse some parts to save you some time. :dunno:

So sorry again ... and yes, I know I am impatient. :blush:
(I wanted to implement a small feature this weekend.)

Ok, I know you are always sitting on a rocket. :goodjob:

Let us use the barbarians camp and cave. That is fine for me. But...hm, with the natives camp...as I said, I do not like to see tepees all over the map. But maybe we can limit this kind of camp for some latitudes? Hm, could work for historic scenario maps but would it work with normal maps?

Top Bottom