Epic trailer from 1864 war drama

Domen Im not really sure what we are discussing, but Im sure it has nothing to do with the original topic, so let's give it a rest what do you say? :)

And if he did, we thought our Scandinavian brothers from Norway and Sweden would come to our aid.

But they didn't, did they?

Pan-Scandinavism has never worked well so far. Just like Pan-Slavism and all other Pan- things.

Except for "Pan-German" state called "Deutschland", which did not exist before Prussia made it.

Fortunately the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland, Denmark, etc. preferred to stay out of that mess.

But they didn't, did they?

Pan-Scandinavism has never worked well so far. Just like Pan-Slavism and all other Pan- things.
It was closer to happening that you think. The Swedish King actively tried to get Sweden involved on the Danish side, but was overruled by the parliament.

Around 600 volunteers did arrive though.

While the Danish navy still tactically won at sea, it was not in the position of the very clear superiority it had in the first war (13 years before), without any Austrian fleet there. Afaik (haven't read much about the first war) the danish navy had no opponent cause Prussia virtually had no navy anyway, it blocked the baltic trade to Prussia, and was free to make landings at Jutland after the Prussian/German army was split there to control the main towns. Thus the Danish army managed to drive the germans out of Jutland, and in the original peace-treaty they had annexed most of Schlesvig (even below Flensburg).

Compared to the result at 1864, where nothing in Schleswig remained in Denmark, and even the islands (such as Als) were german after it and until 1920 and the return of half of that region to Denmark.

Well, the Austrian fleet only arrived at the later stages of the war and after a short skirmish was forced to retreat and take refuge in British waters.

It was still a risk fleet, though. I mean Denmark couldn't just organise landings without any info on the risk fleets around, and neither could it sustain a blockade if it wanted to have any plan of a counter-attack in Jutland (my own assumption, but given that the naval battles resulted in very little losses, and the ironclad ships- very few at any rate - did not suffer much on either side, i suppose that control of the sea was not that much of a given as it was in the first war).

Moreover, at least one of the wiki articles on the 1864 war mentions that after Als was lost there was an argued risk of an invasion to the main islands, which seems unlikely if Denmark had a clear naval superioty.

PS: One would suppose that the fleet was also what got Bismark to want Austria in the war in the first place. Austria stood to supposedly get to be the authority in Kiel, but practically this was cancelled after the war due to local opposition (the region was still part of a collection of german states, even during its control by Denmark). If Bismark did not care about the Austrian navy playing a decent role, possibly he would not care to invite them into the war anyway (?).
Although he might have just wanted to keep the official prussian BB down ( ;) ), by Austria being signed a part of Holstein over.

While I agree that the Danish superiority at sea was not as overwhelming as in the first war it was still absolute.

The Prussian navy was beaten at Rügen and the Austrian at Helgoland. Both times by only a part of the Danish navy. Even in the unlikely event that Denmark should lose one fight at sea, it would still have the majority of it's navy intact, ready to give up the trade blockade and instead mop up the remnants of the enemy fleets.

It's true that the battle of Als left the main Islands vulnerable, but mainly because the army was too weakened to fight. An amphibious invasion such as the Prussian attack on Als, would begin with Prussian landings followed up by Danish counter attacks. The navy could interrupt the second Prussian wave, as well as supplies and reinforcements. But to what matter if the first Prussian wave would overwhelm the defenders?

The attack on Als was actually cut in two by the Danish armored ship Rolf Krake (The only real armored ship in the war, btw). For 45 minutes the Germans didn't dare to cross the strait, but the Captain of the ship retreated due to misinformation, before the Danish counter attacks could drive the first wave of Germans into the sea.

It is interesting to speculate what would have happened, if the Danes had retreated from Dybbøl as the generals requested. With the Danish army intact on Als, a Prussian attack would meet much harder opposition. Should Rolf Krake then decide to stick around till the end, the Germans could have found themselves in quite a messy situation.

BORING.

It looks more like a fanboy patchwork of other films than a trailer for a real mini-series.

Everything is so simple, that it resembles simple unicellular organisms, known as...

The world should also become unicellular. Who needs diversity of languages, after all.

BTW - can you explain why Deutschland is called "Germany", even though Scandinavian languages are also Germanic?

Someone stole the name. It is like if Russia was called "Slavia" and Romania was called "Romania". Oh, wait...

I have recently corrected so many people who were wrong on the internet that I have decided to spare you. :)

Looks interesting, I wonder if it will make it here to the U.S. on pbs or something.

Top Bottom