Esse est percipi?

thetrooper

Misanthrope
Alright, this is a weird request. But angeleyes' thread spawned this one.

Prove to me that you exist.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Now that we had some fun with that, let's get down to business.

As some of you may know 'esse est percipi' means 'to be is to be perceived'.
The man behind those words is of course George Berkeley (1685-1753). He later modified,
I think, that to 'esse est posse percipi', introducing the possibility to be perceived.

Rather difficult to contradict, eh?

thetrooper said:
Alright, this is a weird request. But angeleyes' thread spawned this one.

Prove to me that you exist.
I don't. You are hallucinating like Gaius Baltar. Unfortunately your hallucination is of a crazy American on a computer game forum instead of a hot chick. Better luck next time, maybe your imagination will dream up a Six for you.:p

I know that I exist, what I can't prove is that if any other posters on CFC exist.

Mandatory Alpha Centauri quote:

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Project PYRRHO, Specimen 46, Vat 7
Activity Recorded M.Y. 2302.22467
TERMINATION OF SPECIMEN ADVISED

I am merely a figment of your imagination.

I could ban you. Would that be proof enough?

Were you referning to me?

In that case, no. Banning me would have no effect on whether or not I exist, as the information about my possible existsence is still "on" the forums. Or in the forum at least.

Actually, it was at tt. But it goes for anyone else who doubts my existance. ;)

(It would be a quick, five minute ban...;))

Actually, it was at tt. But it goes for anyone else who doubts my existance. ;)

(It would be a quick, five minute ban...;))

Isn't that like saying, "I'll put you in excrutiating pain (Don't worry it'll be quick, just five minutes)"?

Isn't that like saying, "I'll put you in excrutiating pain (Don't worry it'll be quick, just five minutes)"?
No, I don't think so. No, I'm pretty sure it's no.

Tell ya what, so we both know, why don't I hop over to the Ban Panel and punch your name in real quick...we can find out that way.
:lol: I didn't know moderating could bring enlightenment!
Many and strange are the paths to enlightenment grasshopper. ;)

I think, therefore I am.

Top Bottom