US Debt Ceiling

But attempting to legislate when a citizen's life becomes recognized by the state as possessing a human bundle of rights, instead of defining it by judicial fiat, is antithetical to democracy and hates the majority of its voting age citizens.

Hogwash. For one, if Democrat voters had been able hold their elected representatives feet to the fire on assuring reproductive rights via statute then Dobbs would have been very different. For another, there's no such thing as too much voter advocacy in a democracy.

The problem with this as it relates to what you said before is that if I don't like the Democrats for not putting Roe v Wade into the law, then I really goddamn loathe Republicans who are trying to ban abortion regardless of Roe v Wade.

But attempting to legislate when a citizen's life becomes recognized by the state as possessing a human bundle of rights, instead of defining it by judicial fiat, is antithetical to democracy and hates the majority of its voting age citizens.
That has already been been done: individuals at birth one set of rights and again at 18 they get another set of rights. Those rights tend to be a combination of rights granted by both states and the federal governments. The GOP and religious folks want to change the definition if "individual" to apply before birth and remove the existing rights of women.

No, the federal government has not passed a bill on topic. Americans would almost certainly support an abortion law modeled after what the French have. But the morons are driving the car, which always happens first. Originally with the issue being "settled" by this court institution you're all so fond of recently(recently being key there, eh?) and now by the motivated who are banning it before 10 weeks, and the pure evil of states that explicitly allow confidential late term abortion for simple reason of social or financial worry. Like the ****hole I live in.

The problem with this as it relates to what you said before is that if I don't like the Democrats for not putting Roe v Wade into the law, then I really goddamn loathe Republicans who are trying to ban abortion regardless of Roe v Wade.
Please spare me from saying one side is immune to any criticism from within based on the errors of the other.
Republican versus Democrat is hardly the only means of engagement.
Indeed, it could be argued the internal discussion defines a party more than its contrast to another.
Making your side saints just because the other are sinners is lazy.
Agents of change from within are required to get the gosh-darned elected Democrats off their butts and legislating.
Republicans have had a sea change over the last eight years with passionate, active legislators (fools, but passionate, active fools); what’s stopping the Dems from same invigoration the GOP got from MAGA?
You and I can enable that internal change.

The way forward is starring you in the face.

Hi.

Hogwash. For one, if Democrat voters had been able hold their elected representatives feet to the fire on assuring reproductive rights via statute then Dobbs would have been very different. For another, there's no such thing as too much voter advocacy in a democracy.
All democrats do is complain it’s not enough and half heartedly vote. Let’s have more of that

Please spare me from saying one side is immune to any criticism from within based on the errors of the other.
Republican versus Democrat is hardly the only means of engagement.
Indeed, it could be argued the internal discussion defines a party more than its contrast to another.
Making your side saints just because the other are sinners is lazy.
Agents of change from within are required to get the gosh-darned elected Democrats off their butts and legislating.
Republicans have had a sea change over the last eight years with passionate, active legislators (fools, but passionate, active fools); what’s stopping the Dems from same invigoration the GOP got from MAGA?
You and I can enable that internal change.

The way forward is starring you in the face.
I dunno, probably that lazy internal criticism and cynicism masked in the trappings of education but often borne of ignorance gets you the validation and acceptance.

Try championing the vessel that will make a difference and bvbpl will come in and say you need to attack your own ship so that you have something to champion

Come on, do you see it? “Republicans have fire we should be more like them” combined with “cut your cheerleading we are undeserving until it’s made right”

Republicans have been nowhere near united about anything for ages. When you discount a very specific inborn definition of diversity, thier big tent might very well be bigger. Looks that way from here. The whackadoodles go on for a while. But certainly, there are benefits to being a relatively monolithic block of economic and demographic interests. And we're back to our old metaphor of the economy of consumption and how to increase its capitalist efficiency at devouring.

Republicans have been nowhere near united about anything for ages. When you discount a very specific inborn definition of diversity, thier big tent might very well be bigger. Looks that way from here. The whackadoodles go on for a while. But certainly, there are benefits to being a relatively monolithic block of economic and demographic interests. And we're back to our old metaphor of the economy of consumption and how to increase its capitalist efficiency at devouring.

Republicans are demographically and ideologically much more monolithic than Democrats. The Democrat coalition includes many conservatives but the Republican coalition doesn't include liberals.

Apropos of the above, I wake up this morning literally choking on the thick smoke that's outside and the debt ceiling bill included a measure that fast-tracks the approval of this West Virginia pipeline because Joe Manchin stands to benefit financially. I hope that ******* is burned alive

Republicans are demographically and ideologically much more monolithic than Democrats. The Democrat coalition includes many conservatives but the Republican coalition doesn't include liberals.
That's what I hear. Mostly from you, but that's what I hear. When you aren't calling me a communist. :lol:

... and I think I said you need to watch your mouf!

There's a lot of political diversity within the Republican party, and I'll agree in some ways more, but I won't agree in most ways more. I think most of the reason the Democrats look at all united is policy-wise, 80% of Americans believe in a slew of progressive policies we don't have or don't have fully, which includes often half of Republicans, and those policies are priorities to most Americans as well, and Republicans are fully united on blocking those changes. So every Democrat seems to magically want say the same 8 things, but actually most Republicans do too, or at least most of them. And so it's all the other stuff Democrats disagree on that is kept out of sight to begin with.

There are people around here (New England) who like to describe themselves as "socially liberal and fiscally conservative" who voted for Ronald Reagan and Barrack Obama, elected Bill Weld and Mitt Romney governor, but always send Democrats to the Senate. I've always felt a little itchy by their too-tidy separation of social and economic and/or foreign policy issues, since they're all tied up together. Back in the '80s-'90s, I had a friend who delineated the parties by foreign and domestic policy; he bought into the nonsense that Republicans were stronger on foreign trade and national defense. Again, made me itchy. If I scratch the surface of many of these folks' ideas, I often find a wealthy, college-educated, upper-middle class White person who really only cares about their own property and their own family, and for whom 99% of social issues are other people's problems. They'll say they feel bad about the drugs crisis du jour as they're driving their kids to private school, but ask them to pay another .001% in taxes and suddenly they'll get upset and declare 'I worked for my money', as if people who use SNAP just don't work hard enough.

There's a lot of political diversity within the Republican party, and I'll agree in some ways more, but I won't agree in most ways more. I think most of the reason the Democrats look at all united is policy-wise, 80% of Americans believe in a slew of progressive policies we don't have or don't have fully, which includes often half of Republicans, and those policies are priorities to most Americans as well, and Republicans are fully united on blocking those changes. So every Democrat seems to magically want say the same 8 things, but actually most Republicans do too, or at least most of them. And so it's all the other stuff Democrats disagree on that is kept out of sight to begin with.
But that's the narrative, from there, looking out here. Yes, "as if the people who use SNAP just don't work hard enough," like Egon puts it. But however you situate the blame, the Rs were in charge when school lunches happened, and the Ds when they axed it. I'm going to harp on that one until the dillrods put it back. So probably for a good long time. The rest is clever accounting the likes of which "totes isn't tax evasion." Everyone knows where the people who work hard, but are getting shafted on the value of their labor, live. Whole sections of cities(unless they've been priced out entirely). But if you take the time to tease out the cultural differences in language, you've got whole goddamned swathes of the country measured in states that work that way. Most "regional" cities(that mostly seems a political term for cities that are Republican-leaning, it's so reliable). Why does Lex think I'll be reborn a communist? Why do some people want America to be great again? Ah, right. They're probably just mostly traitor-following rasists. Like that lolnarrative.

Last edited:
Everyone knows where the people who work hard, but are getting shafted on the value of their labor, live. Whole sections of cities.

Literally everyone except uncontacted tribes and the capitalists who live off rents

...still not a communist. But definitely a lot closer than the CCP, if that's a consolation?

Boy howdy.

Top Bottom