[NFP] Ethiopia First Look

I wonder if Rastafarian will be added as an official religion as part of this DLC ?
I don't see why? Menelik II will probably be Eastern Orthodox in game.
If anything they should have added Jainism with R&F for Chandragupta and maybe even Tengrism for Genghis.

I wonder if Rastafarian will be added as an official religion as part of this DLC ?

Probably not - Rastafari is Caribbean in origin. It would have made sense if Haile Sellasie were the leader since he's a revered figure to Rastafarians, but the religion has nothing to do with Ethiopia as a country simply because one of its prophets was Ethiopian.

'Improved resources provide +1:c5faith: Faith for each copy the city owns'.

What exactly does this mean? The first improved one does not give faith? The faith is given to the city, and not the tile?

I'm worried about production for Ethiopia. A unique improvement (which looks integral to the civ, not something you can just skip and feel fine about it) that must be built on hills, and you pretty much have to settle on a hill as well. Will there be room for mines? Where will production come from, especially if you don't have a bunch of woods? Lumber mills even on woods come too late to suffice on their own, and moreso on rainforests. You might have room for one or two mines because the churches can't be built next to eachother, but will that be enough? There's plenty of other ways to gain faith, but not many ways to reach an acceptable level of production in a city.

What exactly does this mean? The first improved one does not give faith? The faith is given to the city, and not the tile?

i think it means you get 1 faith for improves Horses even if you may have three improved horses in your city range

Unfortunately it's not known.

It could be multiplicative: 1 improved cattle in a city provides +1 faith if that's the only cattle in the city, but 1 improved in a city that has two in its borders *might* provide +2, and so on. I believe this is the most accurate interpretation as worded, but also that is probably not likely.

Examples: If a cattle is within a city border, whether improved or not, it is *owned by the city*.

1) 1 improved cattle. The only cattle owned. +1 faith.
2) 2 cattle owned, one improved. +2 faith total, from the one improved cattle.
3) 2 cattle owned, both improved. +4 faith total (+2 from each).
4) 3 cattle owned, 2 improved. +6 faith total (+3 from each improved).

That's my take anyways based strictly on the wording.

I'm worried about production for Ethiopia. A unique improvement (which looks integral to the civ, not something you can just skip and feel fine about it) that must be built on hills, and you pretty much have to settle on a hill as well. Will there be room for mines? Where will production come from, especially if you don't have a bunch of woods? Lumber mills even on woods come too late to suffice on their own, and moreso on rainforests. You might have room for one or two mines because the churches can't be built next to eachother, but will that be enough? There's plenty of other ways to gain faith, but not many ways to reach an acceptable level of production in a city.
simple build mines between rock hewn churches. You can't build churches next to each other. Ethiopea have similar problem as with Incas

My most likely interpretation of the bonus is a 1-1 relationship. 1 faith per tile with a resource. 4 sheep and 2 cattle? 6 faith.
Not to push my own interpretation over others, but I do like it more as it would be more elegant. Harvesting a resource causes the improved ones to lose +1 faith. Smart city placement and controlling tile ownership appropriately boosts the potential yields.

I wished Ethiopia had a more radical bonus like some of the civs from Civ 5's last expansion (Venice, Shoshone, etc) but their bonuses seem potent, if unexciting. I'm really happy that Menelik II was chosen as the leader (for he is one of Ethiopia's greatest, even if he, like Suleiman, seemed to give his wife influence which led to unfortunate intrigue later on).

Menelik II's agenda is poorly chosen and likely to be even more poorly implemented though (i.e., as earlier stated, he will hate everyone). More detailed agendas or preferences should guide the AI in future, ala Civ IV AI (which lacked a singular agenda but had preferences for a wide variety of factors).

My most likely interpretation of the bonus is a 1-1 relationship. 1 faith per tile with a resource. 4 sheep and 2 cattle? 6 faith.

That's how it works for sure, I think the video made that pretty clear:

resources.png

5 resources highlighted and the city is getting +5 faith from resources. They was even careful to highlight all 3 types of resources (bonus, luxury and strategic), to show that it's any resource. The description says for each copy, not unique copies, so it doesn't matter if it's 5 different resources or 5 of the same.

Most likely just +1 faith for each tile. They may feel the need to add the “for each copy” to the description, because the “standard” for resource bonuses is resource ammenities, which are only +4 ammenities per type of luxury, with copies having only trade value.

Yeah I'd prefer if Menelik's agenda were coded more like "positive bonus for cities built not on hills / EXTREME negative bonus for anyone conquering a city not on their capital's continent."

Menelik II's agenda is poorly chosen and likely to be even more poorly implemented though (i.e., as earlier stated, he will hate everyone). More detailed agendas or preferences should guide the AI in future, ala Civ IV AI (which lacked a singular agenda but had preferences for a wide variety of factors).
honestly he should've had something similar to John Curtin's agenda- likes to make a defensive pact and hates warmongerers- as a reference to his role in stopping colonialism. Heck his agenda could have been John Curtin+Teddy!

That's how it works for sure, I think the video made that pretty clear:

View attachment 563044

5 resources highlighted and the city is getting +5 faith from resources. They was even careful to highlight all 3 types of resources (bonus, luxury and strategic), to show that it's any resource. The description says for each copy, not unique copies, so it doesn't matter if it's 5 different resources or 5 of the same.

But in showing five uniquely different resources, with no duplicates, it is still ambiguous :mad:

A description more fitting for that interpretation would be "Tile improvements over resources provide +1 faith in addition to their regular yields. "

A description more fitting for that interpretation would be "Tile improvements over resources provide +1 faith in addition to their regular yields. "
No, because that implies it is a tile yield, rather than a city yield, as the tooltip seems to show.

... A description more fitting for that interpretation would be "Tile improvements over resources provide +1 faith in addition to their regular yields. "

I thought so too, at first. But this definition would mean, that the tiles would have to be actually worked in order to produce faith.
The current wording means, that improved resources just have to be in the city’s radius, but don’t have to be worked to generate faith.

If this assumption is true, it makes quite a difference.

Both good points. I conclude the wording sucks, all evidence is inconclusive, and we must unfortunately wait for clarification.

I feel like it really isn't inconclusive. This screenshot agrees with the interpretation of 1 faith per tile. The wording can mean that, and makes sense for that if they're attempting to stress that duplicate resources still give additional faith. Its not ambiguous.

Top Bottom