[NFP] Ethiopia First Look

Pretty strong Civ. The only downsides are that you need to "waste" hills with the unique improvement and you shouldn't remove bonus resources, if you plan to use Ethiopia's ability to get faith. Buying museums and archaeologists with faith also compete with naturalists and rock bands, but you'll be generating more faith than other Civs. Ethiopia seems pretty strong for Religious, mainly because you can get extra faith quite early, for cultural and even domination, with that +4 combat in hills, a pretty strong unique unit and you can use the Grand Master's Chapel to buy units with faith. It also seems pretty decent for scientific and Diplomatic.

Thank you!

They look pretty strong and probably complement my playstyle better than either of the first 2 Civs.

Same. I like faith as a currency, culture victories, appeal, and I am a sucker for faith improvements that also provide tourism. If it works like Colossal Heads, if you have the Earth Goddess Pantheon and Breathtaking Appeal on the tile, that +2 faith with convert to tourism also.

Can anyone notice if they recycled leader skins for Menelik II? It's not that I have a suspicion, just wanted an opinion.

very small detail, but I'd think that rock hewn churches would be able to be built on stone or marble tiles as well as the ones mentioned.

I like this civ.

Well, you can't build on luxury resources, so Marble is out. And if you build on Stone, then the Stone goes away, so that also doesn't work.

Well, you can't build on luxury resources, so Marble is out. And if you build on Stone, then the Stone goes away, so that also doesn't work.
Ha, I was thinking more from a realism kind of perspective. It might be easier to carve something out of stone if, you know, you have stone. ;)

I wonder why they're focusing on resources in this pack? For e.g. Maya have a resources-focused ability, the new Catherine is focusing on resources and now they've incorporated this into Ethiopia's ability.

Very interesting. Seems to me like they're excellent for a high-Faith playthrough without founding a religion. Settle the first few cities on Hills, get solid Faith generation up, use it for Monumentality-driven build-up, and then after Humanism you can get all the Artifacts thanks to purchasing Archaeologists. Certainly a solid civ for religious victory, as is any civ with bonus faith generation, but Ethiopia should also do great for a Culture Victory.

So this civilization requires you to have GS to play them? Not that it matters to me but I thought that wasn't going to be the case.

I don’t think that this is the case. The rock-hewn church can be built on hills, and the Oromo cavalry can just be a standalone light cavalry unit (like the Malon Raider or Llanero). There’s nothing that really relies on GS mechanics.

Looks strong, a good all round Civ with the faith to culture and science conversion.

Volcanic soil part for the rock-hewn church can be neglected for the vanilla game, its impact is not that huge. But the Oromo cavalry cannot be a replacement for the courser (G&S) in the vanilla game. But even that can be bypassed by making it not a replacement for any unit in the base game, just an aditional one.
You are probably right. It's just interesting because the other two didn't and they specifically said you could play these without the expansions.

Anyway they look like they will synergize well with a secret society coming out and looks to be able to dethrone the Khmer as the top religious/cultural Civ. One of the few Civs that I will prioritize going for Archaeological museums instead of Art Museums.

I wonder why they're focusing on resources in this pack? For e.g. Maya have a resources-focused ability, the new Catherine is focusing on resources and now they've incorporated this into Ethiopia's ability.
Hmm, I hadn't noticed that. It still beats the 'get 100% science/production/whatever for 30 turns after declaring this specific type of casus belli war' which they were briefly in love with round about the DLC/R&F era.

Menelik seems to reuse Cyrus animations, he has the same pose on his FL video. Some pretty bad clipping there. Otherwise looks very cool.

Spoiler :
upload_2020-7-16_17-25-18.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that many civs focused too heavily on resources aside from montezuma so it is an interesting change

Pretty strong Civ. The only downsides are that you need to "waste" hills with the unique improvement and you shouldn't remove bonus resources, if you plan to use Ethiopia's ability to get faith. Buying museums and archaeologists with faith also compete with naturalists and rock bands, but you'll be generating more faith than other Civs. Ethiopia seems pretty strong for Religious, mainly because you can get extra faith quite early, for cultural and even domination, with that +4 combat in hills, a pretty strong unique unit and you can use the Grand Master's Chapel to buy units with faith. It also seems pretty decent for scientific and Diplomatic.

Yeah I agree. You "waste" the hills for production but since you are leveraging your faith better than other civs then its really not wasted after all. Did they mention when you unlock rock-hewn churches? I imagine you'd still be building mines in early game anyways.

Top Bottom