Resource icon

Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial) v.29 beta 5b

I'm not really familiar with GitHub, so may just send it to you when I'm done hand-editing it.
It probably works for vanilla as well (although I haven't tested it yet).

I'd prefer it released here if you are okay with it.

So sorry for the delay. There shouldn't be a conflict. With only the 4 mods active (2 for E.D., 2 for C.D.), does this occur for you?

Hi sorry just saw this
I activate 3 mods for this, the unit pack, vanilla scale and the unit pack for mods

However just using the 2 for E.D., the music for each civ doesn't play

Last edited:
Heyo,

Big fan of the mod so far - my friends and I have been playing it in multiplayer and have enjoyed it a lot. However, I ran into an issue that I have not encountered in all my time playing: a CTD at the very beginning of a turn. I know this is kind of a longshot asking you for help, but I figured I could try.

We used MPPatch,
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/mppatch-easy-modded-multiplayer.617806/

and then everyone subscribed to your mod. From there we enable only your mod and then load into multiplayer and can play with your some slick looking units :cool:

So far, this has been working very well for us, until recently around turn ~200, when I (the host) would crash to desktop just as a turn finishes processing. We try to load back into the game, and then a few turns later, another CTD. I don't really know what would change from the previous 200 turns, but it seems fairly consistent. If you have any idea what might be causing this, we would be extremely grateful. If not don't stress about it - thank you anyway!

@Kewlipo
Not sure, I've never tried MPPatch.

A few people have reported they get a crash when a RIFLEMAN_MIDEAST is created. You could edit "SQL\1-JEDUnitGraphicConfig.sql" and rename civ5_ararm_tc to ararm1

If that doesn't do the trick, is it possible to load a multiplayer save in single player mode? In which case, does the same crash occur without MPPatch loaded? If so, could you provide the save to me?

Alright. Even after making the change, the game still crashes. Some interesting info:

I have a save from turn 203. Whenever I load into that save, it crashes on turn 208. So instead, I make a save at turn 207, and if I load in from there, the game is alright and can proceed past turn 208. Maybe it is not your mod at all - I don't know.

Ah, okay. We were playing another game, made it into the Renaissance Era, and then my friend and I started crashing again. Is there anything debug-wise that I could get to help solve this issue? It happens in early-renaissance era (both games it started crashing during this time), two of my friends have never crashed though. I am checking out everyone's video settings to see if there are any similarities. In the mean-time, are there any logs I could provide that could potentially help? I still have the save that always crashes on turn 208, if that could be of any use.

Thank you!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I turned off MPPatch (and the mod) and was able to progress past turn 208. So it is either MPPatch or the mod. Attached is that save, starting at turn 203, that crashes at turn 208.

Edit 2: FURTHER NEWS! I tested the game with MPPatch on and the mod off, the game did not crash on turn 208. So it is something with the mod, or maybe an interaction with MPPatch. I don't know.

Edit 3: Did even more testing. It crashes with MPMPM as well.

Edit 4: I systematically commented out Renaissance Era units until the game didn't crash on turn 208. There was something wrong with the Knight units, I think one of the models used by the city-states caused a crash. Well, the mod works now! :p

Attachments

• MP 11.Civ5Save
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Last edited:
About the glitchy JFD music issue... I tried the solution Nutty mentioned but it didn't work.
Maybe it's just memory allocation issue as he noted, and I myself noticed a small lag between music changes. If that's the case there is no solution sadly.

BTW, I'm sending you the modified ED very soon Nutty!

Last edited:
I think I found the solution to the glitchy music issue, and I would like to share it.
Make Ethnic Diversity load BEFORE JFD's Cultural Diversity by adding the reference to Ethnic Diversity to Cultural Diversity .modinfo, and delete references to C.D. from E.D. .modinfo.

Let me know if this works!

@Dolen :
I've had a little time to work on the mod. I fixed the city state fallback thing, but I had forgotten that part of the reason I abandoned it was that it makes the mod loading time go from rather long to excessively long, so I'm going to have to figure out some shortcuts, or just dump the database and make it hard-coded for release.

@Kewlipo :
I was having difficulties getting the save to work. I finally did get it to work, but E.D. wasn't loading properly, so I'll have to revisit when I find some more time. That may take a while, and there's no guarantee I'll replicate the problem since it might be machine-specific; so if you don't mind narrowing it down further to figure out exactly which CS knight is the problem for you, I would greatly appreciate it.

I think I found the solution to the glitchy music issue, and I would like to share it.
Make Ethnic Diversity load BEFORE JFD's Cultural Diversity by adding the reference to Ethnic Diversity to Cultural Diversity .modinfo, and delete references to C.D. from E.D. .modinfo.

Let me know if this works!

It doesn't seem to be working for me...
Or either that I just typed it wrongly :blush:

EDIT: ok it sorta works, it solves the glitchy music issue but the soundtrack of cultural diversity doesn't load and the regular music will load instead for me.

Last edited:
Don't suppose there is a version of this compatible with Vox Populi?

Don't suppose there is a version of this compatible with Vox Populi?
Are you saying it's incompatible (besides the increased possibility you're going to run into RAM issues, which is an un-fixable limitation of the game engine)? If instead you're just asking about diversity for the new units, if you can give me links to suggested unit models, I'd be happy to add them. I experimented with adding Light Tanks from danrell's WWII packs to be used in place of the armored car, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it, as the armor units can be hard to tell apart.

For those who are having crashes, I collected the compatibility fixes I'm aware of, and attached it to the bottom of the first post: https://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/ethnicdiversity29-crashfixes2-zip.558043/
Thanks to @Kewlipo for your help!
If anyone else has discovered problem units I'm not aware of, please let me know.

EDIT: And I'm actually working on the mod a bit, shockingly. We'll see if I have enough time to finish anything interesting.

Last edited:
Judging by the replies here, the mod is buggy and prone to crashes. Can we expect a fix with the new version, or is the mod dead?

Also, which version is more stable - Dolen2's Ethnic Diversity or Ethnic Diversity (R.E.D. Unofficial)?

Top Bottom