Balseraphs-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Bannor-(Thomas Covenant series) bloodguard
Calabim-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Doviello-(Kael)
Elohim-(«gods», hebrew)
Grigori-(judeo-christian traditian) («watcher», greek) fallen angels
Hippus-(«horse», greek)
Illians-(Kael)
Khazad-(JRR Tolkien) («dwarves», khuzdul)
Kuriotates-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Lanun-(«pirate», indonesian)
Ljosalfar-(norse mytholgy) («bright elves»)
Luchuirp-(Kael) «lilliputians»
Mercurians-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Sheaim-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Svartalfar-(norse mythology) («dark elves»)

The leaders::queen:
Spoiler :
Alexis-(«helper, defender», greek) french and latin name
Amelanchier-(taxonomy) genus of the Rosaceae family
Auric Ulvin-(Kael's D&D campaign)
Basium-(«kiss», latin)
Bawl-(«crying»)
Beeri-(bible) father of the prophet Judith
Capria-(Kael's D&D campaign) incarnation of death
Cassiel-(judeo-christian tradition) angel of solitude and tears
Caswallawn-(welsh deformation of) Casivellaunus, british chieftain of the 1st century BC
Dain-(«deer», latin)
Decius-roman nomen
Einion-(«anvil», welsh)
Endain-(«windrow», french)
Ethne-(Kael's D&D campaign) mystic
Fir-(taxonomy) genus of the Pinaceae family
Flauros-(demonology) duke of Hell
Hannah-(Bible) wife of Elkanah
Irin-(judeo-christian tradition) angels
Jonas-(judeo-christian tradition) prophet
Kandros-(tibetan bhuddism) («sky dancer», tibetan) female embodiments of enlightened energy
Keelyn-(«slender, pretty», gaelic) girl's name
Logos-(«speech, study», greek)
Lorda-(«lord» -feminine-, italian)
Mahala-(«to settle, to occupy», arab) Balkan word for «quarter»
Morgoth-(JRR Tolkien) («black foe of the world», sindarin)
Perpentach-(Kael)
Phaedra-(greek mythology) («bright») wife of Theseus
Sabathiel-(Bible) son of Jeconiah, king of Judah
Sandalphon-(judeo-christian tradition) («brother», greek) archangel
Sheelba-(Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser) patron warlock of the Gray Mouser
Tasunke-(«horse», Dakota native american's language)
Tebryn Arbandi-(Kael's D&D campaign)
Thorne-(«who live near a thorn bush») english surname
Viconia-(Forgotten Realms) drow cleric of Shar

The heroes::viking:
Spoiler :
Acheron-(greek mythology) river of pain in the Underworld
Alazkan-(AlazkanAssassin, FFH contributor)
Ars Moriendi-(«the art of dying», latin) two latin texts from 15th century
Barnaxus-(Bolg, from Kael's D&D campaign) wood golem
Basium-(«kiss», latin)
Buboes-(«groin», greek) swelling of the nymph nodes
Chalid Astrakein-(Chalid,FFH contributor's character)
Corlindale-(FFH contributor)
Dis-(Divine Comedy) city in the lower circles of Hell
Donal-(«ruler of the world») anglicized version of a gaelic name
Drifa-(norse mythology) personification of snow
Goetia-(occultism) («sorcery», greek) invocation of angels or demons
Govannon-(middle welsh deformation of) Gobannus, gaulish god of smiths
Gurid-(Gesta Danorum) Daughter of Alf
Guybrush Threepwood-(Monkey Island) pirate and main character
Hemah-(judeo-christian tradition) angel of wrath
Herne-(english folklore) equestrian ghost
Leviathan-(judeo-christian tradition) («twisted, coiled», hebrew) sea monster
Loki-(FFH contributor, presumably from norse mythology) trickster god
Lucian-(from Lucius, «light», latin)
Lugh-(irish mythology) god and king
Mary Morbus-from Mary Mallon, first known healthy carrier of the typhoid fever's pathogen in the USA
Mithril-(JRR Tolkien) («grey glitter», sindarin) metal
Morbus-(«disease», latin) roman demon, bringer of pestilence
Orthus-(greek mythology) two-headed dog
Phanuel-(Bible) («the face of God») archangel
Rosier-(A Dictionary Of Angels) fallen angel
Stephanos-(«crown, garland», greek)
Wilboman-(FFH contributor)
Yersinia-(taxonomy) genus of the Enterobacteriaceae family - Yersinia pestis is the causative agent of the plague

Of course, any precision/correction/commentary is welcome. This isn't a serious work, and I'm pretty sure that Kandros, Mahala and Sheelba examples are wrong, tough funny.:)
In any case, I find amazing the insane work that has been done for all these names.:eek:

Hey, Nice list:

However, I assume that, by writing Kael, you are claiming them to be original names, created by kael? If so, you are wrong for at least a few of them...

Bhall, for example, is a Canaanite deity.

Not sure about it. Ba'al and Bhall sound sufficiently differents to me, but it's maybe just an odd spelling.

The Places: :culture:
Spoiler :
Aqua Sucellus: ("waters of Sucellus", latin)
Dies Diei: ("day of day", latin)
Letum Frigus: ("cold ruin", latin)
Luonnotar: (Kalevala) ("female spirit of the air", finnish)
Maenalus: (greek mythology) one of the sons of lycaon, or a possible father of Atalanta
Necronomicon: (Cthulhu mythos) grimoire of forbidden knowledge
Nexus: ("connection, center", latin)
Nox Noctis: ("night of night", latin)
Palus: ("stake, post" or "swamp", latin)
Ragnarok: (norse mythology) ("final destiny of the gods", old norse)

Others:
Azer: ("fire", persian language) (D&D) dwarf-like inhabitant of the plane of fire
Balor: (irish mythology) king of the Fomorians. Also balrog's expy in D&D.
Brujah: ("witch", spanish) (World of Darkness) anarchist vampire clan
Ira: ("wrath, latin)
Luridus: ("pale, ghastly", latin)
Möbius: german mathematician
Moroi: (romanian folklore) type of vampire
Myconid: (D&D) fungus humanoid
Ophan (plur. Ophanim): ("wheel", hebrew) (judeo-christian tradition) type of angel
Paramander: (D&D) prestige class
Samhain: ("assembly") (gaelic tradition) festival celebrating the beggining of winter (31 oct.-1 nov.)
Seraph: ("burning one", hebrew) (judeo-christian tradition) type of angel
Stygian: (greek mythology) related to the river Styx, hellish

Hey, Nice list:

However, I assume that, by writing Kael, you are claiming them to be original names, created by kael? If so, you are wrong for at least a few of them...

Bhall, for example, is a Canaanite deity.

Well, they did mention they were probably wrong on a few. Do we have the real connection or will we bumble about until we give up?

Ok, I'll try to add comments a little at a time:

Agares - specifically, mentioned as a Demon in the book 'Pseudomonarchial Daemonum'.

Arawn - A complex figure. We know about him from the First Branch of the Mabinogian, the story of
Pwyll. The hounds of Arawn are an important myth, the hounds ride through the skies baying.

Kael may have taken Arawn from the amazingly great 5 book 'Prydain' series (ending in the 'High King'), by Lloyd Alexander, which of course had many Welsh mythology elements. As opposed to The Mabinogian and 'classic' mythology, Arawn is real bad in this series, he is the main 'bad guy'.

Amaethon was a Welsh fertility god, the son of (euhemerized goddess) Don in Welsh mythology. There is some association between Amaethon and Arawn, in which Amaethon may have lead to a fight between the children of Don and Arawn, but my understanding is that these references are pretty obscure.

Ba'al was a 'title' meaning lord and probably refers to many deities in Semitic pantheons, from the Akkadian god Belu. The most important association may be with Hadad, a sky god based on (Akkadian) Adad.

Cumulus was a Celtic war god, worshipped especially by the Belgae, who are famous from the line 'the bravest were the Belgae' written by Caesar in The Gaullic Wars. The Romans associated Camulus with Mars.

Ceridwen appears in the literature as a sorceress, but Robert Graves viewed her as a goddess (part of his all-culminating triple goddess). I personally do agree with Graves in this case.

The Dagda was an important god in Irish mythology, where as usual the gods are euhemerized as the heroic Tuatha de Danaans. He was a key leader on occasion (but after Nuada and the traitorous Bres, for example, and before his son Bodb Dearg. The Dagda was a title; the name I usually associate with him is Echu Ollathair. Despite his position, he doesn't always come across well in the Irish tales, coming across as kind of nasty and stupid.

Danalin - Don't know. Maybe a reference to Damelon, the third great lord in the Thomas Covenant novels. In those novels, Damelon was the high lord after Berek and Loric.

Esus - Sorry, I don't anything about him. I do know he is listed as a Gaulish god but I actually had to look him up on Wikipedia to get some information on him.

Kilmorph - Given Kael's enjoyment of Celtic mythology, I suspect it refers to Kilmore, a town in Victoria, Australia, which is known for a Celtic festival. (And yes, I looked that up also, I didn't know that one!)

A little more later ....

Best wishes,

Breunor

Lugus was a major Celtic god, Lugh for the Irish myths and Llew LLau Gyfes in Welsh. Lugh is among the most important gods, and many cities in Europe were named for him. He leads the Tuatha de Danaans to victory over the Fomorians an the Second Battle of Mag Tuired; Lugh is actually the grandson of the Fomorian king, Balor (a common myth theme, the new gods killing the father/granfather oppressor, Zeus suceeds Uranos and Chronos, etc.)

The Second Battle of Mag Tuired is among the msot important myths, as mentioned above - it also seems to have morphed into the myth of how the warrior class learned the secrets of agriculture. Cu Cuchulainn, the hero of the most famous of the Irish myths, the Tain, is Lugh's son.

Lugh is a multi-talented skill master, and the Romans associated him with Mercury.

Looking by itself, I always felt it was odd that after the victory over the Fomorians that The Dagda becomes the high king, not Lugh. My suspicion is that that the Lugh victory over Balor ws the Indo-European vicotry over the 'older gods' myth and is the older myth, and the later placement of this victory as the fifth invasion, after the victory over the Fir Bolgs, was a bad way of putting the mythology together (as we see in the Book of Invasions).

Mammon - I supect Mammon comes fromthe D & D Mammon, which itself may have come from the New Testament, I'm not sure (I supect someone here does).

Nantosuelta - I don't know much about her, she is some sort of fertility goddess in Gaul.

Nemed - Irish God - According to the Book of Invasions, where the gods are euhemerized, Nemed led the third invasion of Ireland; this was before the Fir Bolgs, the Tuatha De Danaans (the 'standard' Irish gods) and then the 'current' Irish, the Milesians. Nemed had some victories over the Fomorians.

I don't know his mythological significance. However, archaological evidence supports the idea in the Book of Invasions that there were waves of major migrations to Ireland. So perhaps these invasions were remembered, or there were sub-cultures when the mythmakers were at work,so these waves needed their own history, heroes, and the like.

Oghma - I never got a real good bead on Ogma. He is present at the first Battle of Mat Tuired (where the Tuatha de Danaans defeat the Fir Bolgs). In the story of the Seond Battle, Lugh replaces him as the champion, but then Ogma becomes his champion. In some accounts he dies, in others he survives and Lugh, the Dagda, and Ogma become a triad type god. His name is similar to the Gaulish god Ogmios, but Ogmios seems to be more of wisdom god.

Sirona - A Gaulish healing goddess, I don't know a lot about her.

Sucellus - Nantosuelta's husband, also a fertility god. The Romans associated him with Silvanus.

Tali - Don't know.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Archangels:

Avatar - It may come from the 'traditional' meaning as an incarnation of a god from Hinduism; or Kael may have taken it from the name of the hero in the Ultima games who is called The Avatar.

Basium - Don't know.

Brigit - Another Irish goddess. She married the traitorous Bres, who helped his Fomorian Ancestors in the critical Second Battle (see above). She was the daughter of the Dagda, as we see interaction between the gods (the Tuatha de Danaans) and their ‘monstrous’ forerunners (Fomorians).

Brigit appears to have been a fertility goddess of some sort.

Note that when the Romans invaded Britain, probably the most powerful tribe were the Brigantes to the North (close to modern Yorkshire). When I was first studying history, I learned that Brigantes means 'people of the goddess Brigit', but apparently that interpretation is now under review.

Cassiel - Appears to be from Jewish mysticism, the Kabbalah (I haven't studied it.) Apparently he is an indifferent angel, so it fits with the character in FfH.

Cernunnos - One name given (on an obscure reference) to the Horned God, a figure in Celtic mythology, especially from Gaul. He doesn't appear in stories (that I know of) but his appearance is prevalent in art forms.

Condatis - Never heard of him, I had to look him up on Wikipedia. I don't have anything to add here.

Embarr - The horse Oisin rides in the famous tale, Oisin in Tir na nOg. Oisin is a great hero of the 'Fenian Cycle', the cycle of Irish heroic stories, centering on the main Hero, Finn, mostly written between the 8th and 12th century. Finn is Oisin's father. His (Oisin's) birth is itself another famous story. Oisin is the great poet of the Irish.

Oisin goes to Tin na NOg, the land of youth, and stays with the goddess Niamh. After 3 years he returns to Ireland on Embarr – Naimh warns Oisin not to dismount. When he returns, 300 years have passed and everyone he knew has died. Of course he does and ages 300 years.

Goibniu – The smith of the gods in Irish mythology, his Welsh equivalent is Govannon, who for some reason Kael ahs turned into a wizard. We know that Govannon is one of the sons of Don.

Hastur – The name Hastur pops up in a lot of places in fantasy, but the most important is the mentioned Lovecraftian ‘god’ (old one). Given the use of the Cthulu mythos for the Octopus Overlords, Hastur almost certainly refers to Lovecraft incarnation.

Leucetious – A Gaulish god we know little about, he was invariably compared to Mars by the Romans so is clearly a war god.

Maponos – A Celtic-Roman god associated with Northern Britain. Little is known of him, but a lot of people believe his equivalent in Welsh tales in Mabon ap Modron, who has a major appearance in the complex Culwhich and Olwen, a very important Welsh poem. Some people also associate him with a fairly major Irish god Aengus (Mac Og), the son of Bobd Dearg and therefore the grandson of the Dagda. He appears in quite a few stories.

Sabathiel – Anglification of Shealtiel, the second Israeli king in exile after the Chaldeans conquered Judah. I don’t have a lot of information on him, but he may have been the father of Zarababbel.

Ok, I just looked him up, he is an angel listed in the Kabala, so I guess Kael got the name from there.

Taranis – I suspect Taranis was an early god, there are figures of him as a thunder god in the areas of early Celtic conquest like modern day Germany and Gaul. I don’t know of equivalents in Welsh or Irish (where we have a lot more written mythology).

So, in total, we see that Celtic mythology is the central driver of names for the gods and archangels.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Basium is a Latin word for a kiss (especially a loud one), although I couldn't say why that was chosen as the name of the archangel of life.

Being compared to Mars does not automatically make Leucetious a war god. Mars is one of those Roman deities that does not really align perfectly with his Greek equivalent. Aries was all about the chaos of battle, but the military aspects of Mars were more about using military power to secure a stable peace. Athletic competitions were just as much is concern as actual warfare. He was involved in just about every aspect of the lives of men of military age, whether they actually had to fight in an army or not. Mars was especially important as an agricultural deity.

Wikipedia says that Leucetius is a Latinization of Loucetios, meaning bright, shining, flashing. Some think the Loucetios was the Celtic god of thunder and lightening (likely similar to Thor) while others think that it was just a common Celtic metaphor to refer to battles as thunderstorms. Regardless, Tali's archangel is likely responsible for thunder and lightening. Leucetius could also come from the Oscan dialect's word Loucetius, which is a southern Italian variant of Lucifer (light-bringer) and epithet of Jupiter.

Basium is a Latin word for a kiss (especially a loud one), although I couldn't say why that was chosen as the name of the archangel of life.

Being compared to Mars does not automatically make Leucetious a war god. Mars is one of those Roman deities that does not really align perfectly with his Greek equivalent. Aries was all about the chaos of battle, but the military aspects of Mars were more about using military power to secure a stable peace. Athletic competitions were just as much is concern as actual warfare. He was involved in just about every aspect of the lives of men of military age, whether they actually had to fight in an army or not. Mars was especially important as an agricultural deity.

Wikipedia says that Leucetius is a Latinization of Loucetios, meaning bright, shining, flashing. Some think the Loucetios was the Celtic god of thunder and lightening (likely similar to Thor) while others think that it was just a common Celtic metaphor to refer to battles as thunderstorms. Regardless, Tali's archangel is likely responsible for thunder and lightening. Leucetius could also come from the Oscan dialect's word Loucetius, which is a southern Italian variant of Lucifer (light-bringer) and epithet of Jupiter.

OK, I looked him up in Wikipedia, and it pretty much says what you did. I have to tell you I'm still a bit skeptical. Clearly Mars and Ares are quite a lot different (as are Poseidon and Neptune, etc.) - but I think by the time that the Romans had a lot of interaction with the later Celts, Mars was largely a war god. The 'early' Mars adopted from the Etruscans was largely an fertility god but he took on more of War god, especially when he was replaced by Minerva (and Quirinus by Juno) in the Capitaline Triad.

That is, clearly Quirinus was the Sabine god of war, and when Quirinus (and Sabine influence) declined Mars took more of the war god stance. Augustus' Temple to him was as Mars the Avenger. As the other Roman gods gained more prominance and as Greek influence and comparisons to Ares increased, I think his role in war and as protector were more prominant, and I think Romans comparing other gods to him during the empire would be making a war god comparison.

Anyway, if he is supposed to represent a thunder god in FfH, I don't doubt Kael took him from Oscan dialect - I admit I didn't know that one.

Best wishes,

Breunor

Well, I can interpret it as fitting with the devotion aspect of the Precept of Life. Beside, it just sounds interesting to give such a name for the kind of character Basium is (after all, he wasn't created as a warmonger, no?)

One I forgot: Odio is declinaison of latin Odium, meaning "hatred".

Ok, I'm starting to think that Basium comes from the Latin phrase 'Basium mortis', kiss of death. Sorry, my Latin is pretty good, I should have thought of this before. I think the FfH character goes well with a 'kiss of death' idea.

Best wishes,

Breunor

The Civilizations:

A lot of the nations are named for Christian (or perhaps Jewish) Angels types. I didn’t know them mostly, I had to look them up. Here is a reference from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_angelic_hierarchy.

Another reference is:

http://angelstoday.net/index.php?lang=en&way=1information/1angels

Apparently Pseudo-Dionysius book ‘The Areopagite’ is a key source (which draws from the New Testament). In looking this stuff up, I’ve discovered some differences in sources. So my comments on them below may be wrong, I’ve never studied them.

In Jewish tradition, Maimonides wrote Yad ha Hazakhah, list angels but this is as prominent in the religion.

The roleplaying game In Nomine includes these angel ‘groups’ and Kael may be accessing them. Almost all of the angel reference are in this game, a role playing game published in the late 1990’s.

Amurites – The Amorites were a very important ancient people. For instance, the ‘Classical’ Babylonians, including the famous Hammurabi, were Amorties. Unfortunately, there are a lot of names in different languages and it isn’t 100% clear exactly who is being referenced. For instance, pretty much everyone in the Bible that isn’t specifically identified in Canaan is probably an ‘Amorite’, similar to how Herodotus and the Greeks viewed ‘Thracians’ as anyone north or east of the Greeks who aren’t identified. Specifically, there were 5 Amorite kings that the Israelites defeated (under Joshua), including some ‘giants’.

Generally, the Amorties appear to be hill people coming to Mesopotamia from the East, and their rise coincides with the fall of the Akkaddian power. They are Semitic, and their zenith was clearly in the Babylonia Empire, which lasted pretty much until it was sacked by the Hittites (1530 BC or so). (I’m not sure when it was founded, 1900 BC?)

Balseraph – Seraphs are a form of Angel in Judaism, meaning literally burning ones. I guess Balseraphs are ‘bad Seraphs’ of some sort but I hadn’t heard of the term before playing FfH. They are sometimes considered the ‘highest’ angels. Seraphs are also the highest angel type in the Christian hierarchy.

I suspect that Kael took them from the Role playing game In Nomine, where Balseraphs are demons who have mental corruption abilities and are very prominent.

Bannor – Kael confirmed in a post from Ur_Vile_Wedge that he did come from the major character in the Thomas Covenant books. Bannor was a member of the Bloodguard, who was Covenant’s personal bodyguard. He was a stark but powerful character – he was one of the Bloodguard, who’s oath was so powerful that he didn’t eat, sleep, age, etc.

Calabim – Also a demon race from ‘In Nomine’, I guess they got them from ancient demons somewhere.

Doviello – Not sure. If I had to guess, they are based on the species Dovii, which means ‘wolf cyclid’ and Kael used his imagination from a fish species with the name ‘wolf’ in it. Or I can be totally off base.

Elohim – Elohim is generally a name for God in the Hebrew Bible, but it is quite complex as to exact meaning and origins. It is more generic than the God of the Israelites, which itself appears to have changed in concept over time.

However, it appear Kael is taking them as one of the Christian ‘mid-level’ angels, below Seraphs and Cherubs, they execute the orders from higher angels. They are supposed to keep order in the universe. I think this is the source of the FfH Elohim. They are also listed as a mid-level angel group by Maimonides.

Grigori – A Greek word (I think) for an obscure group of angel-like creatures, who are mentioned in The Book of Enosh mostly, perhaps the parent of the Niphilim, who are also obscure, mentioned in the Torah. The Niphilim are perhaps half-human half angel creatures, and the Grigori are then angles who mated with humans.

In Christian lore, they are low level angels who work with humans. I suspect this is Kael’s source (or perhaps In Nomine). This description is reasonably appropriate for the FfH group.

Hippus – Yup, Hippos of Hippus is simply Greek for horse.

Illians – Not sure here. Illian is a city in the Wheel of Time series but I don’t really see a connection to the FfH Illians. Ilus was the son of Tros in Greek mythology, best known as the eponymous person for whom ‘the Iliad’ is named. However, again I’m not sure how that is connected to FfH’s Illians.

Khazad – I agree with Dracosolon, I suspect it comes from Khazad in Tolkien – even though Kael has said he uses little/no Tolkien material. Maybe he got it from someone else who got it from Tolkien.

Kuriotates –Christian – One of the Angel orders, another name for ‘Dominions’ Usually spelled ‘Kyriotates’ . They are supposed to defend heaven and earth from demonic attack.

Lanun – Don’t know, sorry, I never studied Polynesian mythology.

Ljosalfar – Probably the elves in Norse Mythology. The problem with Norse mythology is that we don’t have a lot of it, and I think only the Prose Edda mentions them. The Alfar, elves, are mentioned more often, but even they don’t appear much. Frey is mentioned as their king so they are related to the Aesir or Vanir. (Again, in the Prose Edda).

The Alfar and Svartalfar are mentioned some more. I guess we should view Alfar and Ljosalfar as light elves and dokkalfar (dark elves ) or svartalfar (black elves) as forms of dark elves.

Luchuirp – A form of fairy folk (Celtic). Once again I’ve never heard of them, I had to look them up.

Malakim – Mid level angels (Christian and Jewish) – they are supposed to encourage humans to do good.

Mercurians – Christian – Low level angels (also in In Nomine). Protect cities and the like.

Sheaim – I can’t find a reference, I never heard of them. (Dracosolon, do you have a source here?)

Svartalfar – The Black elves in Norse Mythology, they are prominent. Actually, they are the ‘dwarves’. We know them again only form the Prose Edda, however, they are in two very important stories. For example, they forged the weapons of the gods. They were great forgers, magical, and could turn invisible.

Elohim is generally considered the grammatical plural but is likely actually the dual number form of the word El. In Classical Hebrew, the Dual form was used not only to refer to pairs of objects but more importantly to refer to things that were not considered discrete countable units, such as "the many waters" that comprised a great sea. While El is used as the generic word for god, it literally means Mighty One and was sometimes used to refer to mortal kings and heroes. Elohim could be taken to mean something like "the powers that be," or the plural could be used as an alternate form of the superlative making it mean "The Almighty." It is sometimes used to refer to pagan pantheons, but when referring to the God of the Hebrews it is always accompanied by a singular adjective or verb unless in quotes spoken by polytheists. (Note: the dual form was already on its way out before the bible was written, so most adjectives and verbs did not have a dual form and the writer had to choose whether he thought a singular or plural would fit better.) It is also the word used in the declaration that God Is One, so it is especially clear that the Israelites believed that all power belonged to the One True God.

I just got to thinking that the distinction between Elohim and YHVH (the proper name of God, which is derived from the Hebrew verb "to be") seems to fit very well with the Eastern Orthodox distinction between The Uncreated Energies (Energia) and The Essence (Ousia) of God.

Calabim is the Hebrew word for dogs, which was a common insult directed at those considered unclean (gentiles, prostitutes, etc).

I read somewhere Kael confirming that Sheaim are effectively angels from judeo-christian tradition. Same thing for the different names attributed to him or to his D&D's campaign: supposedly, he doesn't started to pick mythological names and such until later. Mulcarn is logically in the same case, as Auric Ulvin was apparently a major character in this campaign, but I don't see it written anywhere. Luchuirp is an artificial name, supposed to evoke Lilliputians (and it's pronounced "Loo-Kirp").

And yes, I already heard of this habit of Hebrew to give a plural noun to single things to mean greatness (Elohim, but also Behemoth, for exemple: a single beast, but the largest of all).

Sheaim is actually a typo. Kael meant to call them the Shedim, a Hebrew term for Demons, but then later decided he liked the sound of his misspelling better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shedim

Some folk lore says the Shedim are descendents of Lilith, which makes sense for the people that are lead by Erebus's equivalent of Lilith, Os-Gabella.

Mammon - I supect Mammon comes fromthe D & D Mammon, which itself may have come from the New Testament, I'm not sure (I supect someone here does).

No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
[TAB]King James Bible, Matthew 6:24

Let's try leaders. Here are about half of them:

I don’t know a lot about the leaders here, I’ll give my guesses but there is little that I have here for which I have a strong level of certainty.

Valledia – Maybe she was taken from the BG2 character. Otherwise, she may have been taken from Veleria, meaning ‘strong/healthy in Latin, and a character in the last Conan story written by Robert E. Howard (the real author).

Dain the Caswallan – Dain is a dwarf in the Elder Edda and also a stag. Dain was used as a dwarf in Tolkien. I’m not sure how these relate to the FfH character?

Caswallan is a prominent character in the Mabinogian, taken from Casivellaunus. We know of Casivellaunus from Caesar’s Gallic Wars, the most prominent British chieftain opposing Caesar. Eventually Caesar exacted tribute from him, but Caesar’s expeditions to Britain were only marginally successful. (The Romans conquered most of Britain in Claudius’ reign). In Geoffrey of Monmouth’s History of the King’s of Britain, he is largely successful against Caesar.

In the Mabinogian, he is a usurper king using an invisible cloak. His appearance in the Welsh triads and the Mobinogian indicate that he is indeed a major figure. In these, he is identified as Caswallan so I suspect that the Welsh tales are the source for Kael, who obviously is well schooled in Celtic mythology. It is important to realize that the manuscripts that we have of the Mabinogian are no earlier than the 14th century, 1400 years after Cassivellaunus lived; so the addition of legendary material over the time is very likely.

Perepentech – My guess is that it doesn’t have a classical base. Maybe somehow based on ‘perpendicular’ and ‘technology’? Nah!

Keelyn – Nothing to add (Celtic for slender girl)

Sabathiel – See above

Capria - ? Capri is an island off of Italy, once part of the mainland.

Maybe from the Carpi, a tribe that the Romans encountered, possibly from the same root word as the Carpathian Mountains, an obscure group that were however a major military threat to the Romans in the mid third century. The Carpi are probably Dacians, and ironically (if not intentional) they fought against the Roman Emperor Decius.

Decius – He was Roman Emperor from 249 to 251; despite his short reign he is an important emperor. The Empire was wracked in the third century, and major incursions of Germans especially occurred. Decius is the first emperor to face the Goths (who appeared under his predecessor Philip), who would be the most important tribe in Roman history over the next centuries.

He apparently was loyal to Philip but his troops wanted to make him emperor. A lot of the empire didn’t like Philip’s treaty with the Carpi (see Capria above). Decius was a good general but he overextended. He was also known as a persecutor of Christians.

Gibbon devotes a bit of time to him in Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. I’m nor sure if the Roman Emperor was the inspiration for the FfH figure, but the Emperor
Decius is a controversial figure with a lot of good and bad qualities; so he is a fitting source.

Alexis – My guess is that it comes from Alexis Carrington, the antagonist in the TV show ‘Dynasty’. Just a guess. She was evil! (I don’t think the Latin name fits).

Flauros – A powerful demon listed in Ars Goetia.

Jonas Endain – I agree Jonas is probably from the prophet (I usually think on it as Jonah, or Yonah in transliterated Hebrew). He’s almost irascible, I always found the book pretty funny. Endain – I don’t have anything.

Mahala – I found quite a few references, I suspect it is from the Arabic word ‘to settle’ and a Mahala is a settlement in the Balkans.

Charadon – From the Orc Empire in Warhammer.

Sheelba – Yup, one of the Wizards in Lankhmar. When I first played the game I knew I recognized it and had to look it up – one of those ‘oh, yeah!’ moments.

Einon Logos – Einon may be from the eponymous character in the movie ‘Dragonheart’. (more fitting for Cardith Lorda?) Logos is a term from philosophy dealing with logic and order. Somebody good with philosophy should take over for me at this point.

Ethne – Almost certainly from the Irish girl’s name Eithne. Ethniu is Lug’s mother (and Balor’s daughter), see Lugus above.

Auric Ulvin – Auric relates to the Greek word for gold. Ulvin probably comes from Ulvik, a municipality in Western Norway. There is a small river in Rumania called the Ulvi.

Hyborem – Not sure. May be from Hyboria, the world of Conan.

Kandros Fir – I’ve looked hard and far and can’t come up with anything here.

Arturus Thorne – Arturus can be a Latin version of Arthur. There are lots of people named ‘Thorne’ but an obvious connection eludes me.

Cardith Lorda – Maybe Cardith is from Cardiff in Wales, given Kaels’ connection to Celtic themes. A lord of Cardiff?

Best wishes,

Breunor

I don't know about its original source, but Dain is an extremely common first name in Erebus. One of the children who wandered into the Shadow Rift with the young Auric Ulvin was an Illian lad named Dain, who was of no relation to the Caswallawn.

The proper name Decius is simply Latin for "Tenth," and not likely a reference to any specific historical individual. Decius Achare is likely just the tenth son of Lord Samatheon Achare.

Mahala was Kael's wife's World of Warcraft character. He didn't make the name up, she did. I doubt it has any deeper meaning.

Ethne is also Greek for people or nation.

Top Bottom