Euro 2016

I think 'cold comfort' covers it.

Fun fact: Christiano Ronaldo tears is the sweetest nectar there is for moths.

Link to video.

Although in all seriousness it's a right shame he had to go. First half was pretty boring to be honest. Let's hope it picks up in the second. Sissoko is on fire though.

Is that meant to be comforting? :faint:

We seem to have gotten Dr. Jekyll rather than Mr. Hyde so far. Payet's tackle on Ronaldo was game-changing, but never a card. Pepe tried to get Sissoko into the book, and Clattenberg had none of it. Easily could have carded a rough tackle by Portugal on Sissoko, too.

So far (*knock on wood*) I'm glad we got Clattenberg rather than Rizzoli.

Clattenberg has just about been the best player on the field thus far.

Sissoko's been decent, Coman's been good since he came on, but yeah, it's not been pretty. Portugal's playing like they want to go 15 rounds (120 minutes) unbowed and France won't throw enough forward (yet) to suggest anything other than that they're OK with going to the decision that is penalties.

I'd expect France to make an actual push at some point.

‘Despite their best efforts, one of these sides will be European Champions in the next hour.’

I love the Graun's commentators.

wtf Portugal you were supposed to wait until the penalty shootout

wtf Portugal you were supposed to wait until the penalty shootout

Honestly, Eder to win 1-0 would seem to fit the quality of this one. El Clasico this is not.

The progression is worth noting, here:

Italy beats Spain.

Germany beats Italy.

France beats Germany.

Portugal beats France.

Let's not discuss what anyone had to beat (other than perhaps Italy, who had a solid group stage) to get to those junctures.

I'm skimming the sports pages… apparently, last night someone wrote an article on how today was the day for Cristiano Ronaldo to flourish, etc. etc.

Oh, the irony!

Somehow, I'm even happy for Ronaldo now. Initially, I had hoped for a French win but when Ronaldo went out that way I switched sides. Congratulations to Portugal. :)

Well, finally two dreary continental competitions are over.

Btw, how is this not even a card?? Ehm... Is this Germany vs Czechoslovakia style of 'tackle'? :)

Ronaldo stood on the ball. Payet separated him from it. It's a hard challenge, but neither reckless (late) nor dangerous (excessive). It was just bad luck that Ronaldo's trailing knee got injured on the play, but he exposed himself to that risk by standing on the ball in midfield like that.

I agree. I wouldn't have reacted if he called a free-kick on it but a card would have been harsh.

Also, I don't think the EURO 2016 was fundamentally dreary. Were some good games, with Iceland and Wales really spicing things up. The final was slow but finals often are. But the last 30 min of it was plenty entertaining.

Ronaldo stood on the ball. Payet separated him from it. It's a hard challenge, but neither reckless (late) nor dangerous (excessive). It was just bad luck that Ronaldo's trailing knee got injured on the play, but he exposed himself to that risk by standing on the ball in midfield like that.

One more reason, he was stoped, why run him over like a train? Lol

But no problem, that gave more stamina to the rest of the team. Ronaldo even said eder after 90', you are going to score. And he did and what a shot. From the words of our coach: "the ugly duck is now beautiful", meaning eder.

Go Portugal :D

Top Bottom