Europa

el_hidalgo

Prince
"If it didn't happen in Europe... it didn't happen."

The idea behind this mod is to allow one to play a full game on European maps without having non-European elements disturb the Europeanness of your game. Europa replaces all non-European wonders and projects with European versions. Examples: Hollywood has been cut by the Cannes Film Festival; the Statue of Liberty is replaced by Big Ben; the Apollo Program is ousted by Sputnik. and so on. All new buildings get new graphics. All wonders have the same effects as the ones they replace... except one: Zuiderzee Works. Instead of requiring a river, it requires water; also it grants one food (to simulate its real-life effects). In addition, non-European religions have been eliminated.

All new buildings get new graphics. In addition, non-European religions have been eliminated. I did, however, leave the non-European civs and leaders in. But heads will likely roll in a future release.... :evil:

Also, given the nature of the mod, I had to support all included languages. However, there are one or two cases where there were no Wikipedia entries :(.

Thanks to the modders who made all the cool buildings I used, and thanks especially to Asaf, without whose super cool gamefont editor utility I would not have been able to edit the stupid, evil, insufferable gamefont files.

Download: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=17313

Yes, I'm thinking I should at least add Poland and Hungary. And turn the Mongols into the Golden Horde.

Personally i think itd be cool if you got ride of all noneuropean civs, and added a bunch of european civs, also you shood addd a european map

Hmm yeah I agree, and if you include a European map please don't do something like most maps where Russia has like 400 tiles compared to France's 40 (Russia always see to end up being a massive grassland/forest stretch)

Add Finland, Poland, Hungary, Rename HRE into Austria, give Charlemagne to France(he was Frankish), and keep the Ottomans and Arabia(they can be Granada)

I think it'd be interesting to make a mod that does basically this (replacing most of the non-European elements), but with events, etc. to simulate the influence that the rest of the world would have on Europe as the ages pass, so it stay Euro centric while still preventing the whole "the world ends at the Ural Mountains" phenomenon. I might just give it a try.

Oh, if you're receptive to new civ suggestions, I'd consider Lithuania and/or the Kievan Rus. Poland isn't the only entity ever to exist in northeast Europe, after all. :p

I think it'd be interesting to make a mod that does basically this (replacing most of the non-European elements), but with events, etc. to simulate the influence that the rest of the world would have on Europe as the ages pass, so it stay Euro centric while still preventing the whole "the world ends at the Ural Mountains" phenomenon. I might just give it a try.

Oh, if you're receptive to new civ suggestions, I'd consider Lithuania and/or the Kievan Rus. Poland isn't the only entity ever to exist in northeast Europe, after all. :p

I think incorporating the rest of the world through events is a great idea. :goodjob:

Civ suggestions noted. They are good ones, and ultimately what goes in will depend on available art and time. Maybe I should also add a disclaimer that the existence of certain civilizations in this mod is not intended to disparage or deny the existence of other civs. ;)

I've made a few civs that could be incorporated into this: Belgium, Lithuania, and Morocco, which isn't strictly European, but close enough, and its a better fit for Granada than Arabia.

I've made a few civs that could be incorporated into this: Belgium, Lithuania, and Morocco, which isn't strictly European, but close enough, and its a better fit for Granada than Arabia.

I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking of "Europe" in terms of "European maps" -- and these generally include North Africa and often Mesopotamia as well, so Morocco would work, as would Arabia (as long as the Arabian capital is Damascus or Baghdad rather than Mecca).

I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking of "Europe" in terms of "European maps" -- and these generally include North Africa and often Mesopotamia as well, so Morocco would work, as would Arabia (as long as the Arabian capital is Damascus or Baghdad rather than Mecca).

You should replace arabia with a civ closer to europe then like Iraq or Turkey, theres a couple of those out there, if you want i could create a civ like that for you, since i want to start making a couple

Oh, yes, i'd suggest changing the Ottoman text and flag to Turkey. Austria should replace the HRE, and the Vikings should be changed too.

Some civs that probably be included, for geographical reasons at least (art permitting, of course):

Bohemia
Bulgaria
Finland
Ireland
Serbia
Scotland (if you are keeping it as England)
Ukraine

Since you're using set maps, why not use something that assigns names to tiles, and integrate StartingPoints so there can be random civs?

If you removed all non-European religions, you will basically end up with two: Christianity and Islam. Why not introduce Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Lutherian and Reformed religions? Otherwise religion hardly has a meaning in the mod.

If you removed all non-European religions, you will basically end up with two: Christianity and Islam. Why not introduce Catholic, Orthodox, Protestant, Lutherian and Reformed religions? Otherwise religion hardly has a meaning in the mod.

Well, as already noted, there is also Judaism. I was thinking about your comment and wondering what I would do for shrines and then I realized I could use the All Saints' Church model; that would be perfect for a Protestant shrine (and replace that with something else in the mod). But then all the temples and cathedrals would look the same, but I suppose that's not really a big deal. I could do an Orthodox religion and use the Lavra Bell Tower model as a temple, but then what about the cathedral and the shrine? Hagia Sophia? And also Shia Islam could easily be added. Might need to add some techs too, though Printing Press would work for Protestantism.

Top Bottom