European Middle Ages 500-1500 AD

Yes!!! This a mod that I was waiting for since Civ4 came out. Great job! :clap: :goodjob:

About some city names:
A barbarian city in the east of the map is called TXT_KEY_NAME_Jerusalem.
The same with the spanish capital TXT_KEY_NAME_Oviedo.
The hungarian capital has some signs or letters which can't be read by my computer. It some shows some signs and letters without order.

hr oskar, first of all congrats on your great work! A splendid idea for a mod.
Have yet to play it, but I couldn't hold myself back as I needed to make a comment right away: It seems like you chose to call the northerners "Vikings", even though it's (as you yourself said) not a very good name for a Civ. May I suggest Scandinavians? There were many unions between some or all of the northern countries throughout the entire time-period you've chosen for your mod. :) Dan/Swe, Swe/Nor, Dan/Nor and Dan/Swe/Nor. Iceland and Finland of course included in these. In the long list they're split up, wich is alright as well as there was also a great deal of fighting between them all :sad:

Craig_Sutter said:
I think there is no civ called vikings... he named a unit viking. If I recall correctly. Otherwise, there are Danes, Swedes etc. No seperate Scandanvia, again, if I correctly recall.
In the first post there is a spoiler with a short list of civs with "Vikings" and a long list with Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

I just downloaded the mod and started a game as the Arabs and here are a few of things I noticed:

1. The Turks were killed very quickly (875 AD) by barbarians.
2. All units have an insanely high movement! I think you might want to tone it down a bit. A Mounted Archer can literally start out my line of sight, go into a square bordering a city, grab a worker, and leave and still be safe! Here's what you have:
Infantry: 2 Move
Archers: 2 Move
Cavalry: 4 Move
Mounted Archers: 5 Move

Here's what I think might be better:
Infantry: 1 Move
Archers: 1 Move
Heavy Cavalry: 2 Move
Light Cavalry: 3 Move
Mounted Archers: 2 or 3 Move
Skirmishers or Light Infantry: 2 Move

3. As the Arabs I was assualted heavily by Barbarians. If I was a computer I probably would have fallen very quickly. I believe these are probably the same barbs as the ones the Turks fought with.

The map is lacking rivers. Its a problem I see rather often in Civ Europe maps. Europe is an extremely heterogenous continent, and has many more (albeit smaller) rivers then most other continents.

Thank you all for the comments :) Looks like some people here have already played the mod more than me :lol: (I never had time to playtest properly).

I know the city names are messed up. That's one top priority for the next version.
I would appreciate any help with city lists for the civs! - if you feel like doing the research or are a native of the particular culture, please post a list to help me out. Just one note - my city lists are based on the Middle Ages, and often the modern capitals and major cities were not founded until late or after this mod's time period, so don't just automatically put the modern capital first. Hungary's capital is Székesféhérvár, for example, not Budapest.

I originally had the high moves for a crusades scenario, which was how this mod started out. For some reason I'd never stopped to review the movement rates. I think I will lower them now to feel more like normal Civ4.

Oh and some of the start positions are probably unfair as it is (Khazars and Turks come to mind).

I'm surprised by this barbarian problem - I wasn't getting any barbarians at all, which kind of worried me. Which units are the barbarians showing up with? If they're spamming Feudal Knights then we probably have a problem...

The problem with high moves is how the AI will handle them ... I remember someone posting how above 2 moves it become very difficult for the AI to properly play and intercept units since there's so many possibilities.

I ran through your mod and I must say it is a good start. I like your tech tree, although I feel some things are a little out of place. I understand the difficulty of putting one together and some things must be changed for gameplay and balance reasons.

Just keep up the good work :)

Oh, and I hope to see an Albanian faction in there soon :p

This mod is quite boring, you don't get a lot of new units, i hardly get any wars, and other things as well.

Here are some of my suggestions that you might want to check out
-Custom Music: you need lots of this, i don't want to hear this medieval music from civ 4, i want to listen to real medieval music that you have founded. We also need some diplomancy music as well, cause every leader have the samn song.

-More Units: Like the suggestion topic says, we need more units. I suggest that you make a battering ram or catapult in the beginning, a custom axe man, and some other medievel units.

-Special Events: Allow us to see what's going on in our city, make a city newsletter that reports whats happening in our civilization, like major court battle, crimes, who won awards and everything like that.

-Atmopheric (sp) weather: Try adding some diseasters and other weather in your mod for some good visual effects, i like to see rain, snow, and hurricanes.

If you add these things, this will make your mod not so boring so all these things will keep us busy.

Putting anything weather related into this would be very unrealistic due to the fact that the time is in years, not days or weeks. About that newsletter idea, that would be nearly impossible to implement and would be an incredible amount of work for the results it would yield. And by the way, this mod looks very promising and I hope to make some scenarios from it.

Remember this is version "0.1". There's a lot to be added.

A lot of the other additions you mention, excepting units, are tough to mod... and they are not really specific to this mod, but to every mod. I'd prefer he work on the mechanics of the middle ages rather than more general stuff. All that can be added later, if he determines its needed. And if there is enough call for it, some other mod will have created that more general stuff as a mod component which he can then incorporate as he sees fit.

I do agree on the number of units. I think light cavalry needs to be added... knights come to early in the tech tree, for me. Perhaps a noble horse, or Thegne unit could be added upgradable to a more traditional knight later.

Also, I was playing the Viking civ, and the longship can go on the ocean at the start. This is unrealistic, I feel. Better would be some later technology that allows the galley to be upgraded to a longship that may traverse the ocean. The vikings get a normal galley before then.

Another note, I tried to play on a random map, once. The game froze. I haven't retried, and so it may have been just because it was the first time I'd tried the map. I'll try later. Anyhow, to those who are most concerned about the map, keep in mind that this is a mod, and not just a scenario. The maps will be polished up, I imagine, as time goes by. They're easy to fix. In the initial stages, I think the mod mechanics are most important.

darkedone02 said:
This mod is quite boring, you don't get a lot of new units, i hardly get any wars, and other things as well.

Here are some of my suggestions that you might want to check out
-Custom Music: you need lots of this, i don't want to hear this medieval music from civ 4, i want to listen to real medieval music that you have founded. We also need some diplomancy music as well, cause every leader have the samn song.

-More Units: Like the suggestion topic says, we need more units. I suggest that you make a battering ram or catapult in the beginning, a custom axe man, and some other medievel units.

-Special Events: Allow us to see what's going on in our city, make a city newsletter that reports whats happening in our civilization, like major court battle, crimes, who won awards and everything like that.

-Atmopheric (sp) weather: Try adding some diseasters and other weather in your mod for some good visual effects, i like to see rain, snow, and hurricanes.

If you add these things, this will make your mod not so boring so all these things will keep us busy.

On the first page of this thread he stated this was an initial version still missing many things. He got the tech tree done, and some of the core units done, as well as the core civ factions, resources, buildings, and civics. That's a tremendous amount of work to do all by yourself, which is something you won't really understand until you undertake such a project yourself.

Head Serf said:
3. As the Arabs I was assualted heavily by Barbarians. If I was a computer I probably would have fallen very quickly. I believe these are probably the same barbs as the ones the Turks fought with.
Silly Serf, computers can't fall!

hr_oskar said:
I would appreciate any help with city lists for the civs! - if you feel like doing the research or are a native of the particular culture, please post a list to help me out. Just one note - my city lists are based on the Middle Ages, and often the modern capitals and major cities were not founded until late or after this mod's time period, so don't just automatically put the modern capital first. Hungary's capital is Székesféhérvár, for example, not Budapest.
For which civs do you need the city names? I would help here, just tell me which city list I shall look for.

Is it intentional that you can't use ocean fields at the mod start? rather difficult to be successfull as Viking this way, ey?

Easily changed:

under the tech seafaring change:

<bWaterWork>0</bWaterWork>

to:

<bWaterWork>1</bWaterWork>

If someone can build boats they surely can fish, right?

Whoa, thanks Bastian, I hadn't noticed that little binary. Will fix that right away.

Darkedone, feel free to criticize my mod in its current state, as I myself wouldn't dream of calling it "fun" as it is now. I only hope people are able to judge where the mod is heading and what's the basic premise and accept that it's a work in progress. I could also just have kept working on it for 3 months more and posted it later... but no, I like to get some feedback and comments and possibly some teamwork.

I've already changed the moves in my next version, to the normal range of 1-2, and 3 for agents and light cav.

And yes, the traits of the current leaders aren't well distributed at all... Influential is overabundant for example. It takes a little more work to make a scheme and distribute the traits well, which I simply decided to leave until later. The reason why the city lists and leaders are a bit halfdone, is because of my last-minute changes to the list of civs for the standard map.

I've finally taken the time to playtest a little myself. Apart from the known problems (no chop yields etc), I notice that the religions aren't spreading fast enough and the barbarians behave very strangely. Various things to look into...

Top Bottom