Events & Decisions - not fully functional

rebar64

Chieftain
Hi,

Pardon me if this is in the wrong place, but I couldn't find another thread/forum where this question might belong, after having asked in Quick questions/answers.

I'm having problems with the Events & Decisions component of VP. Specifically, I am not receiving the vast majority of them, besides the odd City Event, but no Player Choices, Player Events, and a substantially fewer amount of City Choices (just 3 in my current game so far). Also don't have a magistrate decisions button where the others such as diplomacy/infoaddict go in the top right. I've attached a screenshot for reference, would highly appreciate any help in getting it to work. Not sure if it comes under one of the aforementioned categories, but I don't get any civ-specific Events/Choices either. In the screenshot below you can see the Events Overview, as well as the lack of magistrates button in the background.

I don't have any mods active that I imagine could conflict with the VP system in anyway, and I have tried reinstalling/clearing cache, as well as ensuring that the events system is enabled in game settings. Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? Would appreciate it if anyone had any ideas on what the issue might be and how to resolve it. Here is a screenshot of the mods I have activated.

upload_2020-2-19_20-33-21.png

upload_2020-2-19_20-33-55.png

Thank you

I don't play with events, so I cannot help (except with 1 thing: I think the VP event system does not use magistrates, so there should not be any such button), but I can see that you use Ethnic Units. If everything works, keep using it, but please note the combination with VP is very memory heavy. If you start experiencing weird graphics glitches or game freezes on the late game, the first remedy should be deactivating the Ethnic Units - luckily the mod is savegame compatible.

I don't play with events, so I cannot help (except with 1 thing: I think the VP event system does not use magistrates, so there should not be any such button), but I can see that you use Ethnic Units. If everything works, keep using it, but please note the combination with VP is very memory heavy. If you start experiencing weird graphics glitches or game freezes on the late game, the first remedy should be deactivating the Ethnic Units - luckily the mod is savegame compatible.

Hmm interesting, I do sometimes get funny graphics glitches on occasion near end game and I couldn't for the life of it figure it out - some icons would randomly go black or change into textures. I don't pay too much attention to the look of units and rarely zoom in, so I will probably run with this off in future. Thanks again!

You mentioning magistrates again leads me to think I may have actually in the past been using Sukritact's events & decisions, which does have magistrates. I'm not sure what base VP includes for decisions other than the minor city events I have been getting such as farms randomly getting pillaged etc. Does anyone happy to know if base VP is meant to include any/all of the following?

• Getting an option to upgrade natural wonders with extra stats, as well as some individual natural wonder related events
  • Option to upgrade fishing boat production in coastal cities/build a harbour/increase food
  • Having some kind of exploring quest where you could get a copy of certain luxuries or resources not present within your borders for a sum of gold. It'd usually present new options for the "quest" every 15 turns or so IIRC
  • Getting a chance in the early game to acquire a copy of iron or an upgrade to culture/faith
  • Getting some sort of war-quest where you can get extra XP or promotions for units/upgrades to production
  • Civ-specific events that use magistrates, can't remember any of them specifically but they were usually linked to the historic period of the civs leader. Maybe something like china reforming the imperial exam system or whatever and getting some kinda bonus or malus as a made up example, or reforming religion or something and getting some civ wide bonus
I will regardless try in the meantime installing Sukritact's mod and seeing if it gives me what I remember..

Note that VP does not include 'Events & Decisions' - it has its own system, independent of any other mod.

G

Does that mean the events I listed happen in base VP?

As another question to anyone who might be able to answer, is there a reason I'm unable to enable Events & Decisions in the modlist? I'm being told it's being blocked by another mod, but when I check what is blocking it it tells me nothing is? The
MODs compatible with Community Balance Patch (CBP) thread indicates the mod is considered compatible, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error..
upload_2020-2-19_23-41-50.png

upload_2020-2-19_23-42-17.png

Do I need to install an older version of VP to get it to work?

Does that mean the events I listed happen in base VP?

As another question to anyone who might be able to answer, is there a reason I'm unable to enable Events & Decisions in the modlist? I'm being told it's being blocked by another mod, but when I check what is blocking it it tells me nothing is? The
MODs compatible with Community Balance Patch (CBP) thread indicates the mod is considered compatible, so I'm not sure why I'm getting this error..
View attachment 546544
View attachment 546545

Do I need to install an older version of VP to get it to work?
After some more testing, clearing some unused mods and such and adjusting the sequence of activations, I discovered it was a conflict with one of JFD's mods that prevented me from enabling Events and Decisions. No idea why, but after activating it I can't get Tojo and Elizabeth to work. That's alright though, trying a game now and I have the magistrates button, hopefully all will go smoothly..

But why does have to be integrated? Didn't it work well enough as a separate modmod?

I'm not sure why it shouldn't be integrated...the default speed is just too slow. It's not the sort of thing that should ever need to be modded.

I'm not sure why it shouldn't be integrated...the default speed is just too slow. It's not the sort of thing that should ever need to be modded.
Because there are people who prefer to actually see the animation. It's no big deal for myself, editing the files back to the original speed (or something in between) is easy for me, but there are people who do not know how to do this.

It's still slow enough for you to see what's going on.

Because there are people who prefer to actually see the animation. It's no big deal for myself, editing the files back to the original speed (or something in between) is easy for me, but there are people who do not know how to do this.

That's the thing - the opposite is also true. I could argue that there's more demand from people who don't know how to edit the files for a sped-up version than not.

That's the thing - the opposite is also true. I could argue that there's more demand from people who don't know how to edit the files for a sped-up version than not.
I agree that I am a weirdo :) and there are probably many more people who appreciate faster aircraft animations. But they could use the faster anim modmod (no need to edit files), while now there is no modmod for slower animations. This is why I'd be reluctant to incorporate the faster modmod animations. But maybe it's so widely used that it really deserves incorporating ...

I agree that I am a weirdo :) and there are probably many more people who appreciate faster aircraft animations. But they could use the faster anim modmod (no need to edit files), while now there is no modmod for slower animations. This is why I'd be reluctant to incorporate the faster modmod animations. But maybe it's so widely used that it really deserves incorporating ...

Your last phrase is kind of my point lol.

Your last phrase is kind of my point lol.
That's what I don't know. If everyone except me wants airplanes fly faster, then by all means, go ahead, but there was no discussion. My point is before the last sentence - if there is a significant number of people who prefer airplanes slow, then there is no modmod for them, only manual edit.

That's what I don't know. If everyone except me wants airplanes fly faster, then by all means, go ahead, but there was no discussion. My point is before the last sentence - if there is a significant number of people who prefer airplanes slow, then there is no modmod for them, only manual edit.

Ah ok I see your point. Fair enough.

But you are still weird for preferring airplanes slow. :p

Ok I still can't get this to work properly, since last time I have done the following:
Stopped using Sukritact's Events & Decisions. I pretty much got this working but it was missing the features I remembered, which I discovered were actually from the CBP Events & Decisions mod (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cbp-events-and-decisions-compatibility.562935/#post-14159677).

Now it's not working at all... anyone have any other ideas? I am going to post in that other thread too, but it doesn't seem very active..

Top Bottom