Events Pass

The base events are boring and repetitive, and the bad ones make the game unfun.

The community events are fun, and interesting, and need a balance pass. Not to be end all be all equal, but to moderately address balance in a reasonable way.

The base events are boring and repetitive, and the bad ones make the game unfun.

The community events are fun, and interesting, and need a balance pass. Not to be end all be all equal, but to moderately address balance in a reasonable way.
I agree, it only took me 2 games to completely hate the base events and I hate the fact I have to disable them every update, the only time I used community events they where fun but I totally saw exploits that broke the game among the events, its been over six months since I used them so I dont know if they where changed or not because there is hardly any information about mod mods here in this forum.

I've started turning base events off as well.

They were interesting to discover, but they swing the game too much. In particular the events giving +1 faith to shrines and monuments (I never take the other choices). Getting these early or late can be the difference between getting first religion and missing religion completely

I do not understand why people hate the events. Events are things that are not controllable. If they were, they would not represent the real world. If you are complaining about the ferquency of certain events, stop and think about today and the events that occur. Hurricanes (3 in the U.S.), massive shootings, terrorist attacks, etc.

I do not understand why people hate the events. Events are things that are not controllable. If they were, they would not represent the real world. If you are complaining about the ferquency of certain events, stop and think about today and the events that occur. Hurricanes (3 in the U.S.), massive shootings, terrorist attacks, etc.

Because the more you play, the more boring they get.

It's unavoidable that a limited selection of choices will eventually become rote, especially when those choices are scripted. Such is life. If you want to change it, make new events.

G

Agreed. I think the only longterm solution for those who do get tired of the familiarity would be a dynamic, era-adjusting logarithmic system. I won't be volunteering for the assignment in this lifetime, though, and doubt it's worth the effort for anyone else. Those of us who burned it out... burned it out.

I like things like hurricanes, the roaming nomads, and stuff like that.

What I don't like is +2 faith in every city on turn 50 some games and turn 100 in others. I'm not sure what its supposed to represent either

Random events! It is just like the local wonders like the East Indies company. The price goes up with the number of cities you have.

I think the problem is not about "how big one event can effect a civ" but more like "how some civ got lucky boost while other got the short end of the stick".

I have a suggestion. Is there any way Gazebo can code some certain events (those with big effects mostly) to trigger for all civ at the same time (randomly, or time/turn based) and nerf city-specific events to balance things out ?
Stuffs like "a meteors rain can be observed from all the over the world, some science focus civ take the chance to study astrology (+ big chunk of science) while some religious civ choose to claim it's god's sign (+ big chunk of faith)" or volcano spewing ashes or earthquake/tsunami/eclipse/solar flare/el nino/aurora... that give all civ present the same set of choices, but they're still random so that you can't prepare for them beforehand (thus, still "event").
If those big events happened at the same time for all civ it's less rng whereas some civ would get lucky with a huge boost while other fall behind, it'll all depend on their own choice during the same situation (and what they can actually do, based on tech/building, which would help diverse one game from another). Even if your civ failed to get the best out of an event there're still expectation some other civ might have gotten this and that, and when a religious is found on turn 50 you will know why instead of spewing curse upon rng.

The nerf for city specific events is to reduce the effect of rng, or else with both the world events and city events heavily affect the game you might as well play blind and pray. It'll still be there, but more for random challenges and flavor rather than to make or break a civ. Also if you simply nerf all civ/city events there's no need to take a lot of time "rebalancing" them (since they no longer have big impact to one's game), and people can add a lot more of those flavorful events without worrying about breaking balance. Role play however you like.

I think the problem is not about "how big one event can effect a civ" but more like "how some civ got lucky boost while other got the short end of the stick".

I have a suggestion. Is there any way Gazebo can code some certain events (those with big effects mostly) to trigger for all civ at the same time (randomly, or time/turn based) and nerf city-specific events to balance things out ?
Stuffs like "a meteors rain can be observed from all the over the world, some science focus civ take the chance to study astrology (+ big chunk of science) while some religious civ choose to claim it's god's sign (+ big chunk of faith)" or volcano spewing ashes or earthquake/tsunami/eclipse/solar flare/el nino/aurora... that give all civ present the same set of choices, but they're still random so that you can't prepare for them beforehand (thus, still "event").
If those big events happened at the same time for all civ it's less rng whereas some civ would get lucky with a huge boost while other fall behind, it'll all depend on their own choice during the same situation (and what they can actually do, based on tech/building, which would help diverse one game from another). Even if your civ failed to get the best out of an event there're still expectation some other civ might have gotten this and that, and when a religious is found on turn 50 you will know why instead of spewing curse upon rng.

The nerf for city specific events is to reduce the effect of rng, or else with both the world events and city events heavily affect the game you might as well play blind and pray. It'll still be there, but more for random challenges and flavor rather than to make or break a civ. Also if you simply nerf all civ/city events there's no need to take a lot of time "rebalancing" them (since they no longer have big impact to one's game), and people can add a lot more of those flavorful events without worrying about breaking balance.

Random events are asymmetrical by design. That’s what makes them random! If you don’t like it, turn them off.

G

That's the hard part. I love the event system since it adds flavor to the game, but sometimes things just spiral over the top without any way of damage control. Not enough to make me turn it off, but occasionally left me with no choice but to make a new game and hope rng won't be messing around this time.
I'm not suggesting to make the whole system uniformal, only the few events that have big impact especially early game. Balancing them case by case would take way too much time, thus the suggestion to group big events into their own world wide events catalogs to freely tone down the rest.

Here is an idea (I don't know how the coding works so feel free to shoot me down if its not feasible)

What if you got the major events to fire at pre-set turns. For example, all civs get a "major" event on turn 50 (just an example). But we don't have to get the same event, some could get the monument dedication event, some get the meteor, and so on. You get the variety because everyone gets different events, makes different choices and so on. The balance is better because all civs are getting boosts that are roughly the same size at the same time

The issue currently is that getting the meteor 20 turns before other civs is too big of an advantage. Major events would include the monument dedication, the meteor landing, the aqueduct thing, those big empire wide boosters. The farm events and local corruption can stay as is

Here is an idea (I don't know how the coding works so feel free to shoot me down if its not feasible)

What if you got the major events to fire at pre-set turns. For example, all civs get a "major" event on turn 50 (just an example). But we don't have to get the same event, some could get the monument dedication event, some get the meteor, and so on. You get the variety because everyone gets different events, makes different choices and so on. The balance is better because all civs are getting boosts that are roughly the same size at the same time

The issue currently is that getting the meteor 20 turns before other civs is too big of an advantage. Major events would include the monument dedication, the meteor landing, the aqueduct thing, those big empire wide boosters. The farm events and local corruption can stay as is

That would require a complete rework of the existing system - you'd have to store massive lists of trigger times and trigger states for all players.

G

I posted a bit of this in the Community Events thread, but I'll add it here, too.

I think the biggest problem with the events right now is that they fire way, way, way, way, way, way too often, especially if you have a decent amount of cities. I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it, either; I recently got my wife to start playing VP, and she commented in her first game about how the events were happening all the time. I tracked a couple of specific events in one recent game; playing the Inca and expanding up to ten cities very quickly, I had the 'Barbarian Raid' event seven times and the 'Natural Wonder buff' (don't remember which one, but I've observed this with every NW I've ever had) four times before turn 110. That is a lot of times to be seeing the same event in a single game, especially in the early eras when the turns are so much faster.

Just for clarity's sake, I absolutely hate the events as they stand, and I think this is the core reason. I realize that, as Gazebo said, they're eventually going to become rote if you play enough, no matter how rare they are. That said, I think a drastic decrease in the frequency would go a long way towards keeping the shine on some of the events. I looked through the files and realized that, despite having had events off for the vast majority of my time with VP, I've already seen every single (non Civ-specific) event there is, multiple times. It feels to me like that shouldn't be the case, especially given that I've really only been playing VP for ~3-4 months.

Just my two cents

I looked through the files and realized that, despite having had events off for the vast majority of my time with VP, I've already seen every single (non Civ-specific) event there is, multiple times. It feels to me like that shouldn't be the case, especially given that I've really only been playing VP for ~3-4 months.

Just my two cents
It's called the Bureaucracy. Event Creation stagnate and that's basically it. People want change, but don't enact change for themselves.

It's called the Bureaucracy. Event Creation stagnate and that's basically it. People want change, but don't enact change for themselves.

My intention with the section you quoted was to give my thinking on why decreasing the frequency is a good idea; rather than requiring additional work for more events, you can get more "mileage" out of the events that already exist as well as any future ones by increasing their novelty.

The Civ-specific events should definitely have do-nothing options. IMO. They are framed as the leader decreeing some major change, so I don't see why there's no option to just not decree that change at all. Specifically for Indonesia, I do not like how events such as "lose 4 iron to buff musicians" are compulsory, especially because this tends to trigger just as cruisers are coming online. I can understand having no choice about negative events or what to do with comets and the like, but civ-specific events are driven by the leader, and the leader should have the option to not implement a policy.

Top Bottom