Every time I start up my computer, a "New Folder" is created on my desktop

Tsoate

Prince
What on earth is doing this?! If I have a folder that has not been renamed, it doesn't add a new one, but if I clean my desktop, so there are no folders, a new one will appear next time I turn my computer on!

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

What on earth is doing this?! If I have a folder that has not been renamed, it doesn't add a new one, but if I clean my desktop, so there are no folders, a new one will appear next time I turn my computer on!

Does anyone have a clue what is going on?

On Mac OSX you will see a similar artifact if you have disabled "hide hidden files". There will be a file or folder, i forget which, that is essentially a temporary record of the state of the desktop in case of a sudden crash.

I have no idea if this happens in Windows as well.

"New Folder". He didn't mention it in the OP, but it's in the title. That's also the default name if you create a new folder manually before renaming it.

Go Start --> Run, type msconfig in the box and hit OK. Open the Startup tab. Do you see any entry that doesn't seem right? Perhaps relating to a recently-installed program? Please post again if you need advice in deciphering the startup entries.

Thanks for posting those screenshots. Nothing obvious jumps out at me. It's possible that one of the programs in Startup is misconfigured and creates a New Folder each time that you reboot. If you wanted to identify the program, you could uncheck half the programs in Startup and reboot. If the New Folder doesn't appear, then the suspect program is one that you unchecked. If it does appear, then one of the still-checked programs may be the culprit. Continuing in the same way, you should be able to identify the problem (assuming that it is one of the startup programs) within four or five reboots. OTOH, you could just live with the issue, since it doesn't appear to be causing trouble.

Top Bottom