1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Everything about Corruption: C3C edition

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by alexman, Jan 25, 2004.

1. alexman

alexman King

1) Rank remains unchanged, but rank corruption is reduced everywhere because of the OCN bonus from the FP/SPHQ

2) I'm not sure I follow your question. Cmax is a cap on total corruption, after rank and distance corruption have been added.

2. Tarzus

Tarzus Chieftain

Cmax is a cap on total corruption
    This is the answer I seek, just making sure Cmax overrules rank corruption.

Found another question today (why can I spot them all in one day...)
    Capital's distance should be 0,0 ? City's distance is number of tiles from palace or number of tiles from palace +1 ? Didn't know where I got this confuse from...

3. alexman

alexman King

Yes, the Capital has zero distance from itself in C3C, so a city three tiles NE from the capital has d=3.

4. Tarzus

Tarzus Chieftain

If distance for Palace is 0,0 then distance corruption is 0%. AFAIK, rank corruption is also 0% for palace, so what produce the capital corruption ? (previously it is distance corruption)

5. alexman

alexman King

I don't think the capital has any corruption in C3C.

6. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

All of this research is great. However, I find it a bit hard to follow. Can you please tell me in very simple language what I really want to know, which is where should I build the forbidden palace. I apologize in advance if this has already been explained.

7. alexman

alexman King

There is no general answer to your question.
    As with most things in Civ3, it depends on the situation.

8. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

Well I guess I deserved that. Can I at least generalize a little. Would it be better to build a FP fairly close to the palace, rather than build a second core as I would do in PTW?

9. alexman

alexman King

The important thing to realize is that there should not be too many cities closer to your Palace than the city with the FP. In other words, the rank of your FP city should not be very high. A good rule of thumb is to place your FP in a city with rank close to the map's OCN (20 for a standard map).

However, because the FP gives benefits even if it placed right next to your Palace, you are usually better off building it as soon as possible, in a city right next to your Palace. Then, use a Great Leader to move your Palace to the ideal location.

10. Offa

Offa Bretwalda

11. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy Retired Moderator

Offa, have you seen Sir Pleb's writeup of his Sid HOF attempt? He did some investigation into FP placement in his post-game analysis. See the section headed "Placement of the FP in Conquests" in <this post>. (The rest of that post, if not the whole thread, is worth reading too!).

12. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

I think he means those one or two commerce units (also possible for shields, but uncommon because of the often lower basic shield harvests) which go to corruption if your commerce income in the capital gets high (against or above 100) in the later game.

13. eg577

eg577 Warlord

Hey Alexman, I was comparing this corruption formula (for C3C) to the old corruption formula (vanilla/PTW) and noticed that the two distance corruption formulas are nearly identical. I can't help to wonder if distance corruption was acually the same in both versions and the discrepancy merely is the result of you later using more accurate values for the government factors and trade network factor. Long question made short: Should we just use the C3C formula to calculate distance corruption for vanilla/PTW, or is it actually different?

14. alexman

alexman King

Yes, distance corruption is the same in both versions.

In fact, the OCN corruption is the same too, except for some things like the Forbidden Palace model, OCN bonus for communal corruption, and RCP.

15. King Of America

King Of America Warlord

Am I understanding correctly that one differernce between PTW and C3C is that...

In PTW, if I built 2 rings of cities (say at 4 and 7), all my 4 cities would have the save amount of corruption, no matter when they were founded and likewise with my 7s

But in C3C, the order in which they were founded would matter--in other words, all things being equal, I should complete my ring of 4s before starting my ring of 7s?

Thanks

16. Dianthus

@KOF, your understanding seems to be correct. This does, however, mean that there's no point using RCP in C3C since the newer cities in the ring will have higher corruption than the older ones. Forget about RCP in C3C and go back to placing them in good positions based on the terrain/resources/rivers etc.

17. Justus II

Justus II General Staff

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding, the order only matters WITHIN cities of the same ring. Completing all the 4's before the 7's isnt important, just that for however many cities are at 4, the founding date determines which of the 4's have lower corruption. All the 7's will be higher than the 4's, but again, when the 7's were founded determines the order of corruption within the 7's.

18. King Of America

King Of America Warlord

Dianthus and Justus II -- you seem to be saying two different things. The example I gave is based on my play in GOTM 34, which is PTW. In that game, I completed a ring (4), with one city built much later than other cities built further out. If I did that in C3C, would the latecomer have lower corruption than the older, more distant cities?

Thanks

19. alexman

alexman King

Yes. As Justus said, founding date is a tie-breaker for cities at the same distance.

20. Dianthus

Sorry for confusing you KOF. Exactly as Justus II/alexman says.

I was trying to make a different point, that there is no need to place your cities in rings in C3C as it won't give you any corruption advantage over placing them in more intuitively "good" locations.