1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Everything about Corruption: C3C edition

Discussion in 'Civ3 Strategy Articles' started by alexman, Jan 25, 2004.

1. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

2. alexman

alexman Chieftain

No effect.

3. Stora

Stora Chieftain

There seems to be another difference too. The OCN bonus for having courthouse/policestation is not affected by difficulty setting, making them relatively more important to build on higher difficulty settings.

On a side note, as I never played a commercial civ, does commercial trait lower waste too, or is it only for corruption?

4. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Chieftain

Welcome to CFCs!

The commercial trait affects waste, too...the only factor which makes a difference between both is the WLTK-day (effects only waste).

5. wit>trope

wit>trope Chieftain

If you're playing a bix with the Conquests executable, would the C3C formula be used or the PtW formula?

6. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

The C3C formula will be used. However, there is a bug in C3C that can cause the wrong world size to be used in the formula when using a scenario. See this post.

7. Percy

Percy Cow who laughs

erm... sorry to dig up the thread, but... i have read the first page, read the formulae, and my head exploded. after i pulled myself together (^^), i decided to post: can anyone give a brief summary, without any math if possible (i don't like to have a calculator when playing, shield MM is the most i can take =) ), about how to position your FP/Palace/cities ?
    if it helps, i almost always play in republic (i am not too much into rushes yet, and the game is usually decided by 1000 AD at most, at which point i get bored of just gaining techs and watching the AI being crushed). the difficulty is Regent, but i may jump up a level in a couple of games.
    thanks for the help =)

8. Dianthus

Dianthus Small but hardy

What I normally do is create a productive core around my palace, place the forbidden palace around 5-10 tiles from the palace and build a smaller core around that, then build lots of small corrupt towns anywhere else until I reach the domination limit. The Palace doesn't have to be at the centre of your empire, just at the centre of your productive core.

9. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I just made a Calculator following your formula, but I am not sure if it is right, can you try to use it and make a checking?
    Thanks a lot.

10. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Does the % of optimum cities in the Editor (difficulty settings page) apply to the AI as well as the player

11. watorrey

watorrey Chieftain

The player has penalties/bonuses depending on dificulty level. The AI always has the regent level variable.

12. mikezang

mikezang Pegasus

I found this formula should be modify to
    Code:
    Cmax = max(0.9 – (0.1 * Ni + 0.7 * (Nwc - Nsp)), 0)
    Here, Nwc are FP and SPHQ in the city, and Nsp is SPHQ in the city.

In Communism, if FP and SPHQ built in one city, base on the original formula, the Cmax = 0, this is impossible, because there is Corruption even in Capital.

13. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

So which governments have distance corruption and which governments have rank corruption?

14. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

All of them have both.

15. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Thats not true, communism doesn't have distance or rank corruption.

Are you saying that with any government, I could build a city clear on the other side of the map from my cap and if those are my only two cities it will have the same corruption there as if it were 2 squares away from my cap?

16. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

No, 'fraid not, that doesn't work. ;)

17. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

18. superslug

superslug Still hatin' on Khan Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

False. Communism most certainly does have both of these, it just operates differently than all the other governments. Distance corruption is the same for all cities. The rank corruptions of all cities are tallied and averaged out over the cities.

That's what Parkin is saying doesn't work. The rank corruption would be low, but the distance corruption would be significant.

19. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

'Significant' would be a major understatement... :lol: :crazyeye:

20. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

What does Nopt stand for? Its not in the glossary. Number of potential towns? I don't understand why you don't just use the more familar OCN abb. You use a number of other abbreviations that you never tell us what they stand for. Your article on corruption would be easier to read if you hadn't done this.

Instead of saying "as given in the editor" You could have just told us.

Tiny = 14
    Small = 17
    Std = 20
    Lg = 28
    Huge = 36

Percentage:
    Chieftain = 100
    Warlord = 95
    Regent = 90
    Monarch = 85
    Emporer = 80
    Demigod = 70
    Deity = 60
    Sid = 50

Is base OCN size * difficulty? Or by "base OCN" do you mean size only? You seem to imply the latter since difficulty is mentioned in your formula. Though the effects of difficulty found in the editor don't click with your statement of -10% per difficulty over Regent.

So all three governments have the same effect on OCN? Then the corruption reducing effects of democracy is specifically a reduced effect of distance corruption?