Everything that can exist must exist.

No, it was confusing in context too.

I don't see existing and coming from nothing to be two alternatives to anything. Of course, I still don't understand what "come from nothing" means here.

It doesn't matter. You may think it does, but that's because you don't know what my point is.

I'm going to put this in syllogism form if people still can't understand this (although I have no idea why).

I'm going to put this in syllogism form if people still can't understand this (although I have no idea why).
That might help.

As for why people don't understand you, communication is a skill, and if this thread is any indication, you're bad at it.

Mouthwash said:
I'm tempted to troll this guy, but I'll refrain.

That's not a refutation. Why not try engaging in some of the debate you exhort the rest of us to before becoming a whiny arrogant pissant.

Moderator Action: watch the language, please - Grisu
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

That's not a refutation. Why not try engaging in some of the debate you exhort the rest of us to before becoming a whiny arrogant pissant.

He made a bare assertion. What should I have said to him, pray tell?

He asked

WHY NOT?

to your "bare assertion" that something can't come from nothing.

Well, I thought he said but that must have been my imagination.

Just because you have the attention span of a grasshopper does not mean that his post didn't have multiple facets.

Just because you have the attention span of a grasshopper does not mean that his post didn't have multiple facets.

And we are at last reduced to insults. :cool: I need to spend less time on this forum...

And please, nonexistence has no properties. "Nothing" cannot be, since being is a property in itself. While I realize that it's so much easier to refer me to someone else's works instead of making your own arguments, I'm afraid that YOU have the full and complete burden to prove that nonexistence is something. Talking about dishonesty? You're the most pompous coward I've seen yet on these forums, and that's saying something after illram talked about how traditional marriage advocates used unrelated reasons to justify their outdated viewpoints while saying legalizing gay marriage would improve the economy. :dubious:

Here it is. Internet hypocrisy at its finest.

And we are at last reduced to insults. :cool: I need to spend less time on this forum...

And please, nonexistence has no properties. "Nothing" cannot be, since being is a property in itself. ...

What does no properties look like?
What does the property of being look like?

I remember when I thought stuff couldn't come out of nothing.

It made a frightful mess of things and I spent a few years as a Hindu.

And please, nonexistence has no properties. "Nothing" cannot be, since being is a property in itself.
If not being is a property, then so is being. So non-existance doesn't exist, but neither does existence if we choose to define existence this way, as a property.

Top Bottom