Everything that can exist must exist.

Mouthwash

Escaped Lunatic
I actually formulated this idea on my own, and found this video from searching Youtube on solipsism. I thought it was interesting but I'm not sure if it is flawed. Discuss.

Link to video.

Transcript: "I contemplate the situation where nothing exists and then, there is us and the universe we perceive and I ask; How is it that something exists? Can it be that something can spring from nothing?

The glib answer from those of little imagination is to assert that there cannot be nothing, that where nothing exists there is still a god. I assert that that is a good answer for monkeys, not philosophers. It simply avoids the conundrum by refusing to ask how that god exists. Note that I do not refuse the notion that that which most would define as god might exist, I simply assert that one cannot avoid the question of how existence might exist by invoking the notion that god exists as such a god existing is contingent upon the existence of existence.

Obviously something exists. The assertion (I have heard often) that all is illusion misses the point that for such illusion itself to exist, there must be existence. Refusal to entertain the question as a valid question is simply either failure of imagination or fear of the question.

My philosophy suggests that it is not possible for existence to derive from non existence. For existence to derive there must be something for it to derive from and such a something is precluded from existing without the existence of existence. Therefor existence is not derivative. Given that existence cannot derive from nonexistence, it follows that there could not be a condition of nonexistence. There is no such condition of nonexistence. Nonexistence does not exist, ergo, everything exists. Existence exists because it can.

It follows that if anything can exist, it must exist."

I have a laptop computer. It certainly could have existed in 1500, yet it did not.

I accept, as a basic assumption, that some things could exist but don't. Why? Because if we don't make this assumption then nothing is intelligible.

The point is that all possibilities must be realized because existence is infinite.

The point is that all possibilities must be realized because existence is infinite.
Seems like you're overreaching a bit, there. Walk through the interconnecting steps.

This is why empirical observations are important.

Does anyone even want to address the main contention?

Alright: Why?

(And the basic idea that everything that can exist, must exist is a bit on the dubious side, I should say. Solipsist, if you will.)

Universe =/= existence.
Yes it is. The universe is everything that exists. But if you want to define it differently, please explain why your definition is more useful in this context.

Not if the universe (or existence if you prefer) is not uniform.

(And the basic idea that everything that can exist, must exist is a bit on the dubious side, I should say. Solipsist, if you will.)

I have no idea what this means. This disproves solipsism.

My philosophy suggests that it is not possible for existence to derive from non existence. For existence to derive there must be something for it to derive from and such a something is precluded from existing without the existence of existence. Therefor existence is not derivative. Given that existence cannot derive from nonexistence, it follows that there could not be a condition of nonexistence. There is no such condition of nonexistence. Nonexistence does not exist, ergo, everything exists. Existence exists because it can.
I'm confused as to what the definition of derivation is in this context.

Actually the idea that something can come from nothing is not as far-fetched or deserving of ridicule as it seems. Renowned physicist Lawrence Krauss argues that "something" and "nothing" are two aspects of the same thing and fundamentally identical (or something to that effect). It's pretty neat, there's a book out about it.

Anyway it is overreaching by an absurd amount to assert "something, therefore everything."

You are definitely not the first person to think this up. I read it on this entertaining but old website more than half a decade ago.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that everything must already be infinite- I am offering proof that every possibility is already realized.

It doesn't. And I find the implication that it should somewhat insulting. Try again if you like, but don't be rude about it.

I'm sorry that you evidently have a problem understanding what "derive" means. I thought that the OP made it as clear as possible but apparently I was wrong.

Seriously, I understood this perfectly the very first time I read this. Why is it so hard?

The initial part of your argument seems to translate to me as:

1. Some things exist. (is that an axiom?)
2. Things that exist derive from other things that exist. (I share Souron's confusion of the term "derive". What does it mean in the context of physical entities? "Caused by"? "Created by"?)

Then I'm losing you. Just because everything that exists requires something that exists to "derive" from doesn't mean that everything exists. Why should it? Or do you mean that for the idea of something to exist the subject of the idea has to exist as well? That is ... dubious to me.

Top Bottom