exclusive wonders for certain civs?

Well, it depends heavily on what the wonders do vs. the cost of giving up that wonder for a possible other unique.

To use a Civ V example: If I'm picking Khmer because I'm the only Civ that can build Angkor Wat (which basically involved spending several turns of production in order to gain an ability that is a weaker version of either America's UA or Russian Kreposts) is that a better advantage than an army Impi (which were pure awesome/evil) as the Zulu?

So no, it's not automatically OP to have a unique wonder. Frankly, it might be a detriment to have so much production you have to funnel into this wonder to get the promised benefit.

Yeah, a unique wonder is basically just a really expensive UA that takes research and production to unlock. Doesn't seem very gamebreaking, unless the ability itself is super broken.

Well, one of the cool interactions is that Unique Wonders could be taken away by other players. Make it an interesting effect and suddenly players have a reason to change their plan to something more aggressive if they spawn near you. :p

As was mentioned, in the IGN Developer Rewind video, there was a section which showed the Sphinx, Great Wall, Colosseum, and Forbidden Palace. They stopped the video, and Ed Beach said, "You have just seen two civilization unique improvements, and two world wonders." So the "exclusive wonders" quote from the Gamewelt preview is probably referring to wonders that are now unique improvements, and we know there are at least two.

We already know about the Great Wall being a multiple-tile unique improvement for China. So the question is: which of these is now also a unique improvement instead of a wonder: Sphinx, Colosseum, or Forbidden Palace.

Frankly, none of the three sounds like a good candidate for improvements (which would, ideally, be repeatable or multiple-tile).

I'd say the Sphinx is the best candidate, given that it may be referring to the general type of statue instead of the great sphinx of giza.

The Colosseum as an Improvement wouldn't really make sense thematically (why would you have 5 of them next to one city? :D), and the Forbidden Palace is a single structure.

We already know about the Great Wall being a multiple-tile unique improvement for China. So the question is: which of these is now also a unique improvement instead of a wonder: Sphinx, Colosseum, or Forbidden Palace.

Frankly, none of the three sounds like a good candidate for improvements (which would, ideally, be repeatable or multiple-tile).

Between the three, I think it may be the Sphinx. Wasn't there multiple ones, even if not as big as the more know one? Or maybe the Colosseum as it was just a building anyone could get one in every city on previous civs, even thought the original ancient one was unique. I just don't think the Forbidden Palace is the other tile improvement, as that would mean China have two.

I'd say the Sphinx is the best candidate, given that it may be referring to the general type of statue instead of the great sphinx of giza.

The Colosseum as an Improvement wouldn't really make sense thematically (why would you have 5 of them next to one city? :D), and the Forbidden Palace is a single structure.

Also, I think the colosseum (or colosseums) were mentioned as being unlocked by a civic in one of the 60-turn demo videos (?).

The section of the trailer rewind video with that clue also shows the Eiffel Tower, which could also be one of the two wonders. Assuming that they weren't referring to the pyramids in the background of the sphinx image.

The Coliseum is an arena, which where fairly common, but not something you would see a bunch of stacked up in the country side.

There is only one Sphinx, but there are many examples of smaller Sphinx statues, including some found underwater in the ruins of old Alexandria.

The Forbidden Palace is one of a kind. I think it is right out.

I'm also leaning towards Sphinx statuary being a UI.

Couldn't they have simply meant that a Coliseum was a unique building for the Romans?

Couldn't they have simply meant that a Coliseum was a unique building for the Romans?

ED Beach does says "2 civilizations unique improvements" and one of the 4 show is the great wall that is a unique tile improvement, so it's likely another one of the four is something similar to it.

"civ uniqe improvement" I guess is a "tile with building" that only the given civ can create

my guess that it will take a whole tile

question:

...only a single one can be built in total? - then it is basically civ-spec wonder

...one for every city? - then it is kind of unique building

It's an improvement. It can be built as many times as you want to build it, as long as you meet the requirements, just like with any other improvement.
So if treatment Great Wall requirks being on your borders, you just need to build it on your borders. If the Moai Statues require coast, you can build them on the coast.

Forbidden palace I could see working as a tile improvement. It's just got endless almost repeating wings attached to one another, so it's not so much a building as a conplex of buildings. However, seeing that sprawl across the map would be nightmarish, and China already has the Great Wall. So for these reasons I think it's a world wonder, not an improvement.

In terms of the Sphinx, I find it difficult to understand how they could justify adding it as a wonder alongside the pyramids, that seems a bit too much emphasis on the one site. So maybe it's some kind of statue-sequel improvement as has been mentioned, but that seems a strange choice to make really :/

And as for the colosseum, I can definitely see them being a building you add to a certain district, ie an improvement. It could make sense as a world wonder but with the likelihood of other Roman wonders being included I think it's found a safer spot as a regular building.

So I'm confused.

Maybe the Sphinx is a UI that gives culture and or faith and can only be built on flood Plains, and not next to another Sphinx, which forces you to sacrifice a good food tile for culture.

ED Beach does says "2 civilizations unique improvements" and one of the 4 show is the great wall that is a unique tile improvement, so it's likely another one of the four is something similar to it.

Wait. If Coliseum is the other Unique Improvement, which makes total sense given they're the only ones who ever built them. that means that the Great Wall, as confirmed by Quill, ist he OTHER Unique Improvement.

Which makes the Sphinx and Forbidden Palace the other Great Wonders.

Between the three, I think it may be the Sphinx. Wasn't there multiple ones, even if not as big as the more know one? Or maybe the Colosseum as it was just a building anyone could get one in every city on previous civs, even thought the original ancient one was unique. I just don't think the Forbidden Palace is the other tile improvement, as that would mean China have two.

The Forbidden Palace was built by the Mongols. :)

Kublai Khan established his capital at Beijing and built a magnificent palace complex for himself, the Forbidden City. An architectural triumph, the Forbidden City contained elements of Arabic, Mongolian, western Asian, and Chinese architectural styles; it also contained a vast area of Mongolian nomadic tents and a playing field for Mongolian horsemanship. The Forbidden City of Kublai Khan, then, was in many ways a protected sanctuary of Mongolian culture. This aloofness from the Chinese exemplified by the Forbidden City was carried over into almost every other aspect of Mongolian rule. Although they adopted some aspects of Chinese culture, the Mongols pretty much refused to learn Chinese. The government, however, was run by Chinese officials selected under the civil service examination. Communication between the upper and lower reaches of government, then, was possible only through translators.

http://http://richard-hooker.com/sites/worldcultures/CHEMPIRE/YUAN.HTM

I wouldn't mind unique wonders if they have a requisite attached to them, as in national wonders, in the end, due to the district system they would be a stronger Unique Improvement really, it balances out, you can only build it once.

I just hope every civ doesnt get a unique wonder.

Before BNW was released one of the main ideas going around the forum and the modding community was that they'd have the Venetian Arsenal as a unique wonder.

I could see the Sphinx....
UI must be adjacent to World Wonder, not in 2 tiles of another sphinx.
(1 faith, cult, gold/ adj world wonder)

I think that arrangement is less likely since China is the wonder whore this time around and Egypt appears to be militaristic. I'mean thinking something along the lines of the Chateaux.

Top Bottom