Expansion #2 Wish List

UncivilizedGuy

The Village Idiot
So I will begin by saying that Firaxis has set the bar high for Civ6. Rise and Fall has pretty much covered everything in my original wish list of content. Traditionally there have been 2 expansions with each iteration. So what could they possibly come up with for the 2nd expansion? Here are some of my ideas. I would like to hear yours. If I think your idea is within the realm of possibility then I will add it to the list and credit you. Please no civilizations and wonders.

Wish List
  • World Congress. (This has not been confirmed for Rise and Fall yet)
  • Pollution
  • Future Era (I'm not holding my breath for this)
  • Trade Sanctions
  • Prehistoric Era (I'm definitely not expecting this but what the heck)
  • Crime
  • Alternative energy improvements (wind farms, solar farms, etc.)
  • Disease (this might already be in the new Emergencies system)
  • More diverse Industrial era units @Phrozen
  • Vassal and tributary states @sugerdady87
  • Climate Change @Vahnstad
  • Health mechanics @Vahnstad (My feeling is that Housing already covers this)
  • Expanded Espionage system @Vahnstad @clapyourhands
  • Late game Terraforming @clapyourhands
  • Complex/realistic commodities/trade system @GoodSarmatian
  • I need ideas!

Last edited:
World congress / United Nations, diplomatic overhaul (i'm not sure about a DV however)
Vassal / additional diplomatic mechanics
Espionage overhaul (though not priority)
Plague and climate change mechanics (i'm not entirely sure how to implement it, maybe through UN, WC or even Emergencies but I doubt the latter one)
alternate leaders for Egypt, India, Russia and/or France. Maybe for China and England too.
New wonders like Taj Mahal, Himeji Castle, Notre Dame and Machu Picchu
New natural wonders like Grand Canyon, Mount Fuji, Erta Ale / Mount Erebus and one of those many Chinese wonders (they still can be included in the first expansion :) (although Grand Canyon most likely not since that arch is in it).

Assuming Otto, Canada, Mongol, Dutch, Inca (hopefully) and Korea will be in the game, i want those elf new civs: Maya's, Sweden, Ethiopia, Babylon, Mughals, Hungary, Celts and the remaining spots could be for Italy, Vietnam/Siam, a native American civ (i would prefer Muisca, but this seems unlikely) and Mali

(Ironically not much has changed from what i've asked for the first expansion, since i didn't anticipate any of the new features of exp 1 in my wishlist, but i still like most of them :) )

Last edited:
World congress / United Nations, diplomatic overhaul (i'm not sure about a DV however)
Vassal / additional diplomatic mechanics
Espionage overhaul (though not priority)
Plague and climate change mechanics (i'm not entirely sure how to implement it, maybe through UN, WC or even Emergencies but I doubt the latter one)
alternate leaders for Egypt, India, Russia and/or France. Maybe for China and England too.
New wonders like Taj Mahal, Himeji Castle, Notre Dame and Machu Picchu
New natural wonders like Grand Canyon, Mount Fuji and Erta Ale / Mount Erebus

Assuming Otto, Canada, Mongol, Dutch, Inca (hopefully) and Korea will be in the game, i want those elf new civs: Maya's, Sweden, Ethiopia, Babylon, Mughals, Hungary, Celts and the remaining spots could be for Italy, Vietnam/Siam, a native American civ (i would prefer Muisca, but this seems unlikely) and Mali
What kind of overhaul would you like to see for Espionage?
We might get some plagues from Emergencies. But I doubt they would spread to other civs.

I have no idea, that's why i said that it doesn't need to be a priority. I just think i don't have a lot of inspiration for new additions / mechanics in the game.

A Civ VI version of Rhye's and Fall, included in the expansion after Rise and Fall.

I do want that, but in terms of realistic suggestions:

* World Congress has been mentioned already
* Improved espionage (not necessarily even reworked, I think the framework is fine but it just needs... more)
* This would somewhat come with the WC but being able to see more parts of the AI's "secret" behaviors would be a nice perk from spying (ie: seeing how they respond to crises, vote in WC proposals, etc)
* Late-game terrain altering (land reclamation, both for creating workable islands from single-tile ones and for extending coasts; man-made canals and lakes)
* Something to help out coastal starts for non-maritime civs (the coast shouldn't be an undesirable place to first settle, or at least be on par with the usual tiles; maritime civs could be adjusted a bit downwards to compensate if it overbuffs them)

Apart from the usual new civs, wonders, units etc. there's a new economic addiction I've been waiting for since Civ 5: A new way to utilize surplus resources. It would have fit better with Civ 5 where the quantity of your resources determined how many units you can build, but at least Civ 6 tracks your bonus resources and they can always change or adjust some gamelay systems.
What I'm thinking of is resource slots for buildings, similar to great works slot.
Instead of selling the sugar you don't need, you can put it into a market and gain additional gold, or you put in a new windmill(baker?) building for food.
I'm imagining multiple options for each building and resource with theming bonuses that produce manufactured resources.
Put chocolate (probably should rename it cacao) together in a building with milk and sugar and you get chocolate as a new luxury resource.
Or combine silk, cotton and fur into garments.
You have a blacksmith ? Assign jade, diamonds, pearls and ivory for the new jewelry luxury, or iron and copper for a unit production boost. Or iron and coal for steel, a new resource required for some later military units.
I think that would give the economy a lot more depth, and most omportantly boost the importance of diplomacy by making resource trades much more desirable.

* Late-game terrain altering (land reclamation, both for creating workable islands from single-tile ones and for extending coasts; man-made canals and lakes)

Oh yes ! If military engineers had the ability to turn desert tiles into flood plains, I might actually train one every once in a while.

Apart from the usual new civs, wonders, units etc. there's a new economic addiction I've been waiting for since Civ 5: A new way to utilize surplus resources. It would have fit better with Civ 5 where the quantity of your resources determined how many units you can build, but at least Civ 6 tracks your bonus resources and they can always change or adjust some gamelay systems.
What I'm thinking of is resource slots for buildings, similar to great works slot.
Instead of selling the sugar you don't need, you can put it into a market and gain additional gold, or you put in a new windmill(baker?) building for food.
I'm imagining multiple options for each building and resource with theming bonuses that produce manufactured resources.
Put chocolate (probably should rename it cacao) together in a building with milk and sugar and you get chocolate as a new luxury resource.
Or combine silk, cotton and fur into garments.
You have a blacksmith ? Assign jade, diamonds, pearls and ivory for the new jewelry luxury, or iron and copper for a unit production boost. Or iron and coal for steel, a new resource required for some later military units.
I think that would give the economy a lot more depth, and most omportantly boost the importance of diplomacy by making resource trades much more desirable.

Oh yes ! If military engineers had the ability to turn desert tiles into flood plains, I might actually train one every once in a while.
I think I know what you're getting at. I did a lot of experimentation with my mods in Civ5. As the game stands right now modders are limited with what they can do with resources. But your are correct, Civ5 was set up better for your ideas because things could require multiple copies. I will be surpised if we never get the ability as modders to utilize resources as building requirements.

Top Bottom