Extended Europe - 22 Civs TSL

PDMX

Warlord
Thank you for all those thousands who downloaded and played the map.
Version 10 of the map pack is now released!

The map is based upon the Fall of Rome Scenario, but it has been greatly extended to fit complete Europe, the Sahara and Western Asia including India. There are several different shapes and pieces of the map, which can be played alone, because it was not possible to add everything even on the largest map size. I have also carefully drawn all rivers so it should be pretty realistic.

The map has also been adjusted with more luxuries and strategic resources. The locations of the resources are roughly placed in their natural and climatic appropriate locations. There will be up to 22 Civs available depending on map size. There are also some smaller adjusted regional maps for certain parts of Europe.

All recent maps, will always be attached to the first post. Please make sure you open it via the mod menu and load the scenario, if you want to use the preset city states and resources.

Europe+Asia (BNW)

Spoiler :

Playable Civs:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Babylon
4. Byzantium
5. Carthage
6. China
7. Egypt
8. Ethiopia
9. France
10. Germany
11. Greece
12. India
13. Mongols
14. Morocco
15. Ottomans
16. Persia
17. Poland
18. Portugal
19. Rome
20. Russia
21. Songhai
22. Spain

Reasons for excluding Civilizations:

The Huns -> I decided it would be better to pick Russia instead, because this is a more common civilization.
Austria -> It was mainly dropped because of the lack of space in that area, but also due to its ability.
Venice -> There are not enough city states around that area, Venice would also hinder Rome to start a major expansion.
The Netherlands, Denmark, England, The Celts, Sweden -> The map has been cutted in favor of an East South expansion, I wanted players to be able to circumnavigate Arabia and conquer Asia like Alexander the Great. If you miss any of these Civs, please scroll down and choose the complete Europe map.

Altered TSL:

Russia -> starts at Rostow (Ukraine)
China -> starts at Urumchi (Tibet)

Mayor Terrain and Balance Changes:

Bosporus is now a land bridge, but Konstantinopel can be used as a passage, this improves Byzantines performance a lot.
Suez Canal is not possible, because the canal was build in 1869, not in ancient times.
Morocco now starts on the coast.

Natural Wonders:

Mount Sinai (Sinai)
Gibraltar Rock (Gibraltar)
Mount Kailash (Matterhorn)
Mount Kailash (Himalaya)
Kilimanjaro (Vesuv)
Kilimanjaro (Ätna)
Krakatau (Santorin)
Great Barrier Reef (Red Sea Reefs)
King Solomon Mines (Turkey)
Mount Fuji (Ararat)
Lake Victoria (Tana Lake, Source of Blue Nile)

CS balance:

Cultured: 8
Maritime: 8
Mercantile: 7
Religious: 2
Militaristic: 4

CS count: 29

Map Size: 120 x 80

Attached is the map file.

Please make sure you open it via the mod menu and load the scenario, if you want to use the preset cities and resources.

Complete Europe (BNW)

Spoiler :

The normal World Editor without modding it, only allows to add 22 Civs to the map, so I had to delete some old Civilizations. I hope, that I have deleted the least interesting/most annoying ones. The original starting locations are still found on the map as "random player start position", in case you want to make any changes, or you want to add your favorite civilization again.

Playable Civs in the BNW version:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Babylon
4. Byzantium
5. Carthage
6. Egypt
7. England
8. France
9. Germany
10. Greece
11. Mongols
12. Morocco
13. Netherlands
14. Ottomans
15. Persia
16. Poland
17. Portugal
18. Rome
19. Russia
20. Spain
21. Sweden
22. Venice

Added Civilizations:

Portugal
Morocco
Poland
Venice
Assyria

Reasons for excluding Civilizations:

Celts -> I wanted to have a stronger England, GB is just too small to support two fully developed Civs. Was also dropped in favor of BNW Civs (Assyria)
Denmark -> Weak and has no room to expand and dropped in favor of BNW Civs (Portugal)
Austria -> Was dropped in favor of BNW Civs (Venice)
The Huns -> Was dropped in favor of BNW Civs (Poland)
Songhai -> Was dropped in favor of BNW Civs (Morocco)

Natural Wonders:

Mount Sinai (Sinai)
Kilimanjaro (Vesuv)
Kilimanjaro (Ätna)
Krakatau (Santorin)
Great Barrier Reef (Aegean Archipelago)
Mount Fuji (Ararat)
Lake Victoria (Tunisia)
Old Faithful (Iceland)

CS balance:

Maritime: 7
Mercantile: 8
Religious: 4

CS count: 31

Map Size: 92 x 80

Please make sure you open it via the mod menu and load the scenario, if you want to use the preset cities and resources.

Mediterranean Region (BNW)

Spoiler :

Playable Civs:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Babylon
4. Byzantium
5. Carthage
6. Egypt
7. Greece
8. Morocco
9. Ottomans
10. Persia
11. Portugal
12. Rome
13. Songhai
14. Spain
15. Venice

Natural Wonders:

Mount Sinai (Sinai)
Kilimanjaro (Vesuv)
Kilimanjaro (Ätna)
Krakatau (Santorin)
Mount Fuji (Ararat)
Lake Victoria (Tunisia)

CS balance:

Cultured: 5
Maritime: 5
Mercantile: 5
Militaristic: 2

CS count: 19

Map Size: 92 x 42

South Eastern Europe (BNW)

Spoiler :

Playable Civs:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Babylon
4. Byzantium
5. Carthage
6. Egypt
7. Greece
8. Ottomans
9. Persia
10. Rome

Natural Wonders:

Mount Sinai (Sinai)
Kilimanjaro (Vesuv)
Kilimanjaro (Ätna)
Krakatau (Santorin)
Mount Fuji (Ararat)
Lake Victoria (Tunisia)

CS balance:

Cultured: 4
Maritime: 4
Mercantile: 4
Militaristic: 2

CS count: 16

Map Size: 64 x 42

Any comments or improvements are appreciated.

Attachments

• EE v10 BNW Std Europe+Asia.Civ5Map
    272 KB · Views: 3,412
  • EE v10 BNW Epic Europe+Asia.Civ5Map
    272 KB · Views: 2,136
  • EE v10 BNW Marathon Europe+Asia.Civ5Map
    272 KB · Views: 1,654
  • EE v10 BNW Std Complete Europe.Civ5Map
    232.2 KB · Views: 5,350
  • EE v10 BNW Epic Complete Europe.Civ5Map
    232.2 KB · Views: 3,539
  • EE v10 BNW Marathon Complete Europe.Civ5Map
    232.2 KB · Views: 2,141
  • EE v10 BNW Mediterranean.Civ5Map
    116.6 KB · Views: 2,102
  • EE v10 BNW South East Europe.Civ5Map
    114.1 KB · Views: 1,566
More Pictures

Attachments

• North Africa1.jpg
    North Africa1.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 3,809
  • Southern Sahara.jpg
    Southern Sahara.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 2,216
  • Egypt.jpg
    Egypt.jpg
    371.2 KB · Views: 3,305
  • Persian Gulf.jpg
    Persian Gulf.jpg
    377.7 KB · Views: 2,180
  • Arabia and Horn of Africa.jpg
    Arabia and Horn of Africa.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 2,381
  • Ethiopia and Nile.jpg
    Ethiopia and Nile.jpg
    405.2 KB · Views: 2,285
  • EE v10 BNW Epic Mediterranean.Civ5Map
    116.6 KB · Views: 689
  • EE v10 BNW Marathon South East Europe.Civ5Map
    114.1 KB · Views: 506
  • EE v10 BNW Epic South East Europe.Civ5Map
    114.1 KB · Views: 617
  • EE v10 BNW Marathon Mediterranean.Civ5Map
    116.6 KB · Views: 492
More Pictures

Attachments

• Iberia_small.jpg
    Iberia_small.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,508
  • Danube Region_small.jpg
    Danube Region_small.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,698
  • Finland_small.jpg
    Finland_small.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,997
  • Baltic_small.jpg
    Baltic_small.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2,459
  • England_small.jpg
    England_small.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 3,763
  • Central Europe_small.jpg
    Central Europe_small.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2,169
  • Italy_small.jpg
    Italy_small.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,581
  • Ukraine_small.jpg
    Ukraine_small.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 2,416
  • Turkey and Greece.jpg
    Turkey and Greece.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 2,951
  • Caspian Sea and Aral Lake.jpg
    Caspian Sea and Aral Lake.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 2,538
I have attached a file with only start locations, so that you can choose the spot for your initial cities. This also enables the AI to start with their usual bonus units on higher difficulties. Something I noticed in my recent test.

Really nice map. Trying now. The problem with the changes you made recently (no preplaced cities) is, that the city-states keep their original names. So for example Tirana is now "old" Genua and so on.
Could you preplace the citystates again?

cheers

Yeah, I was already working on that. I have made a new G&K version of the map:

Here is the Changelog:

Changes on City States:
  • Presettled all City states with their intended names
  • Added a color scheme for the world builder to see the type of each city state, however the color scheme does not seem to be used ingame. You can see it on the map
    • Purple: Cultured
    • Light Blue: Maritime
    • Yellow: Mercantile
    • Orange: Militaristic
    • White: Religious
  • Added Syktywkar as Cultured CS north of Russia to fill the gap.
  • Added Samarkand as Mercantile CS on the eastern egde of the map. (not the perfect real TSL)
  • Added a fake Byblos for G&K version as Maritime CS
  • Added a fake Ur for G&K version as Maritime CS (basically renamed Kuwait)
  • Added Brest as a Maritime CS to fill the gap, there were to few CS in Western Europe
  • Added Gortyna the ancient capital of Crete as a Cultured CS
  • Relocated Leptis Magna a few tiles to the east, to get closer to its TSL
  • Replaced Brusseles with Antwerp (Mercantile), Brusselles is now somewhere in Eastern Europe under another name.
  • Swapped some of the CS's to have a better suiting art style or CS-type at their location

Map changes:
  • Reduced the amount of iron in several deposits in Siberia and Asia
  • Recreated the ancient lake in Tunesia (Africa) near Leptis Magna, for a future CS
  • Removed some Dye in Siberia, because there was too much
  • Recreated the Middle East coast to be able to place all 4 City states including their resources
  • Tried to improve the Babylon starting location a little bit, they have been very weak during my Egypt test game

Gameplay changes:
  • Switched Szenario speed from Standard to Epic. (I dont know if it was already the case in version 5, so maybe not new)

I have just rewritten the first post and included any changes.

There is a BNW version of the map available now and both map files, G&K and BNW version, are attached to the first post.

Hopefully there are no flaws this time. Last time I forgot to switch off Information age for Persia, this is already fixed now. So everyone starts in the ancient era. Sorry for that.

If someone could tell me how to add more than 22 civs in the world builder, than I will make a version with all civs included.

Edit, just fixed two small bugs in the BNW version:

Corrected color code for Copenhagen, because it is Maritime.
Corrected Missing CS in Norway

Thank you to everyone who downloaded and tested the prior versions, do you have any improvements, or remarks?

I like your map, it seems really well done! One question that bugged me from downloading it: aren't there too many CSs?

If you consider the map size (92x80) it is unlikely that you will meet them all before satellites. And there should be city states available to all civilizations in terms of trade routes, bonuses, etc. That is why I decided to spread them to every region of the map. When you play the map, it feels like you would play on a Standard map. You encounter enough city states in your neighborhood.

I just did not like maps where so much CS's where concentrated in the center, like on other Europe maps. By spreading them, every area is now balanced and playable, no matter if you play the Mongols or Moroccans. And as you know, some will be conquered and some will be bought, so probably not all of them will even survive.

I have not tried a Diplo victory yet. But I will try to play it with Greece in the BNW version now. It will probably be a challenge to meet all civs first, but Greece has a good starting point for it.

If more people want it, then I could make a version with less CS's.

I was thinking with a GnK mind. Of course! +CS = +Money from trade routes, it was a good idea! I like to expand a lot on real life maps, so that's where my question came from. No need for another map, I'll soon download it and try it. Thanks :king:

Map looks great! Any way it can be coded to have all the TSL of the civs, and just choose any 22 of them?

Map looks great! Any way it can be coded to have all the TSL of the civs, and just choose any 22 of them?
Maybe lifting the limit for civilizations is easier, I am not sure. I was searching the web for it and found someone talking about altering the variables and recompiling the whole stuff, to be able to add more civilizations. But I have never done such a mod and I have not used my programming skills since my school days...

Here is a link to a topic, where this kind of mod has been done in Civ4:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/archive/index.php/t-281334.html

Hm, maybe somebody here knows the trick and could pull it off for Civ5 too?

Thanks for making this, it looks great.

Just one thing stopping me from getting into it. Epic game pace.

Is there a way to change that? It doesnt work if I change it to normal in setup.

Thanks.

As much as I would like to add new versions with standard speed, I simply can't because my world builder is suddenly not working anymore.... :mad::mad:

It says "World builder has stopped working" right at the start. I have tried to fix this for one and a half hour now.

I have already made a few other additions and changes, which I would really like to share, including Iceland, natural wonders, and other smaller changes. It's really annoying...

Thats a shame its not working. Did you see this thread?

http://forums.2kgames.com/showthread.php?249686-New-SDK-Beta-Available-(World-Builder-etc-)

Im not sure if thats helpful or not.

I think I would like less city states too. Im not sure why though, its a just a feeling.

Maybe even a "slim" version with alot less civs and states to go with standard pacing.

Put in the big names and let them expand into big dynasties sort of thing.

Anyway good luck. I certainly like playing on real world maps alot more than random so fingers crossed.

Edit: just read that thread and it seems like its not working there. Maybe you have that version already. Or maybe its just one guy having issues.

Thank you for your help.

But I have already tried to subscribe to it yesterday. Sadly its not working for me, it does not update to the new beta build.

Anyway, I am now on holiday. Maybe I can find a solution somewhere.

Thanks for the great map!

Quick question: If you play this multiplayer, will the CS's not be where you placed them? I thought if you wanted a CS to be where you placed it in worldbuilder, you had no choice but to play the map as a scenario, and you can't do a scenario in MP. Am I wrong about that? I'd love to know if you can play this in multiplayer with all the CS's you've put on here, in the locations you've placed them. Thanks!

Firaxis finally came up with a fix for the World Builder, I had to download DirectX9 again:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ils.aspx?id=35

I immediately added a new version (version 7) for Brave New World. There are 4 different new maps attached to the first post, with standard or epic speed and less or full civilizations and city states.

General map changes

• Partly redone the Mediterranean alps
  • Added Iceland including old Faithful
  • Improved the Aegean Sea, including Krakatau and Great Barrier Reef
  • Redone the Mount Ararat Region, including relocation of Jerewan
  • Renamed Gortyna to Heraklion

Added natural wonders:

• Lake Victoria (located near Carthago)
  • King Solomons Mines (located in Turkey)
  • Mount Ararat (Mount Fuji, located next to Jerewan)
  • Krakatau (located at Santorin)
  • Great Barrier Reef (located in the Aegean Sea near Santorin)
  • Old Faithful (located in Iceland)

Unchanged wonders:

• Mount Sinai
  • Gibraltar Rock

Playable Civs of the smaller 15Civ version:
(in alphabetical order)

1. Arabia
2. Assyria
3. Babylon
4. Carthage
5. Egypt
6. France
7. Germany
8. Greece
9. Mongols
10. Morocco
11. Persia
12. Poland
13. Portugal
14. Rome
15. Russia

CS balance of the smaller 15Civ version:

Maritime: 9
Mercantile: 7
Religious: 4

CS count of the smaller 15Civ version: 32

The new map files for version 7 are attached to the first post.

Feel free to download and leave a comment, whether you like it, or if you find any bugs.

@Civic713
I usually do not play multiplayer, but I think Firaxis was working on a fix for this, because they asked us to check if we could load scenarios in MP. Maybe the newly saved maps will do the job. I don't know. Maybe you can test it with version 7 and confirm whether it works not?

Im using TSL BNW map with 22 civs right now, as Great Britain.
amazing map. The most fun Ive had since Civ 5 came out.

Love the idea of just 15 civs, for faster turns, but is there any way for England to be included with 15 civ setup? England and Celt wars are some of the funnest.

Thank you. Great job!!!

Love the idea and will try it out, but one suggestion: Move Krakatoa to in between Sicily and Italy to represent the volcano island Stromboli, since Santorini already is well represented by the Great Barrier Reef twins. I wish there was a land volcano to represent Etna and Vesuvius, but that will have to be modded.

@luko18
Thank you for the comments. I am glad you like it.

The problem is, as soon as one Civ gets removed, there is somebody out there, who really liked to play with it. In the 15 Civ version I made some really hard decisions, one of them where England, Spain and the Netherlands, who lost in favor of Assyria, Portugal, Poland, etc. So basically for the new BNW civs. Also Venice, Sweden, Ottomans, Byzantium, are all out in the smaller version... I think the best solution then is to play with the 22 Civ version, because I will never be able to satisfy everybody, unless I find a way for you to select your desired Civs in the settings.

@gunnergoz
Stromboli is a really great idea, I did not think of it. Although Stromboli is a little less significant in history and is only 1000m tall. So Vesuv or Ätna would be great, but as you said, Krakatau has to be surrounded by water... sadly...

I will probably move Krakatau and replace Santorin with an Atoll in the next version. Some of those are still missing on the map

Top Bottom