Extra City States

Garett20

Prince
I am making a mod for all city states that people want to see added and I will add them to my new mod.
:c5citystate:Version 6 now uploaded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:c5citystate:

city states:
Americas:
Vancouver
Toronto
Quebec City
Manahoac
Albany
Cuzco
European:
Troy
Madrid
Reykjavik
Luxembourg
Bern
Antwerp
Asian/Middle eastern:
Anuradhapura
Karakorum
Eridu
Jerusalem
Taipei
Byzantium
Constantinople
Hong Kong
Pyongyang
Ankgor
Dubrovnik
African:
Hattusa
Ile-Ibinu
Oceania:
Auckland
Sydney
Melbourne

If you want a city state added please give me:
City Name:<insert here>
Trait:<insert here>(militaristic,cultural etc.)
Civilopedia entry:<insert here>(please avoid new
paragraphs. If it is absolutley nessecary, replace the
space with the text:[NEWLINE]

Note: Current Deadline is November 20th
Version7 is currently adding:
Syuri

Here's a Sri Lanka based one.

City Name: Anuradhapura
Trait: Cultured
Civilopedia entry, something along the lines of?: Taken from wiki: The first established Kingdom on Ceylon (later known as Sri Lanka) which became a stronghold for Buddhism. Ruling the surrounding lands for over a millennium the kings of Anuradhapura developed advanced irrigation techniques and constructed huge reservoirs as well as building beautifully decorated temples and stupas.

City Name:Luxembourg
Trait:Cultural
Civilopedia entry:
Spoiler :
The Duchy of Luxembourg is generally considered to have been established in 963, though it is mentioned in the writings of Julius Caesar. The Count of Ardennes at the time, Siegfried I, traded some of his lands for an old fort called Lucilinburhu, presumably Roman.

This was developed into a small town, the surrounding area of which eventually expanded into a small state that became of extreme strategic importance in Europe. The fortress itself was situated on a rocky outcrop know as The Rock, and was developed by successive rulers till it became one of the largest in Europe.

In 1354, the Holy Roman Emperor of the time, Charles V, elevated it to Duchy status, and it passed through a succession of hands until it became one of the Seventeen Provinces of The Netherlands in 1469. These fell into the hands of the Hapsburgs in 1477 where Luxembourg remained for the next few centuries.

It fell successively into Spanish, French and Austrian hands until it was annexed by France in 1795 during the Revolution. Luxembourg remained French until the defeat of Napoleon, when the Treat of Paris turned it into a Grand Duchy, in union with The Netherlands. The Belgian Revolution resulted in the new state of Belgium being give half of Luxembourg's territory, and the political autonomy of the Grand Duchy was not confirmed until the Treaty of London in 1867. Luxembourg was also granted neutrality in international affairs, and the fortress walls were pulled down to reflect this. The Prussians, who had been garrisoned in the fortress, withdrew.

Gradually Luxembourg became increasingly under German influence, culminating in its occupation in 1914 though the government was allowed to remain. After its liberation in 1918, Luxembourg was occupied by the Americans until the Treaty of Versailles rejected Belgium's claim to the territory and reaffirmed Luxembourg's independence.

Between the two World Wars, Luxembourg's politics were very similar to those of other Europeans at the time, with a conflict between left and right wing ideologies. The government tended to side with the Nazis in Germany, and tried to put down the communist unrest in some of the industrial regions. Although the government attempted to outlaw the Communist Party, its cooperation with Nazi Germany created much resentment amongst the population, and a referendum in 1937 resulted in defeat for the government on this issue.

Both the monarchy and the government went into exile in Britain when Germany invaded the country in 1940, and Luxembourg was formerly annexed in 1942. Citizens of Luxembourg were now declared German citizens, and they were forced to fight in the German army. Most that refused were sent to concentration camps or executed, especially after the general Strike of September, 1942, that the Nazis violently quelled.

After a brief period of liberation in 1944, the Germans again occupied Luxembourg during the Ardennes Offensive, or the Battle of the Bulge as it was commonly known, but the German offensive was short lived and the population was finally liberated in January 1945. One result of the war was to prompt Luxembourg to abandon its neutral tendencies and it became one of the founders of NATO and the United Nations. It helped form the economic union between itself, Belgium and The Netherlands known as Benelux, and was one of the founders of the European Common Market in 1957, now the European Community.

Since then, Luxembourg has been an active participant in European economic and political affairs and is now one of the financially strongest members of the Euro countries. It was listed as a UNESCO Heritage Site in 1994 and is ruled by His Royal Highness, Grand Duke Henri.

This is truly a remarkable story for such a small country that originated from an old Roman fort sold to a Prince by some monks.

City Name:Salt Lake City
Trait:Cultural
Civilopedia entry:
Spoiler :
Salt Lake City was founded on July 24, 1847, by a group of Mormon pioneers. (Mormons are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.) The pioneers, led by Brigham Young, were the first non-Indians to settle permanently in the Salt Lake Valley. The founding group numbered 148, consisting of 143 men, three women, and two children.

The Mormons came to the valley in search of a region where they could practice their religion, free from hostile mobs and persecution. When Brigham Young first saw the valley he said, "This is the right place."

On the very day of arrival the pioneers began tilling the soil and planting crops. Within a few days plans were drawn for Great Salt Lake City, named after the salty inland lake which dominated the desert to the west. Out from the center of the city, now Temple Square, blocks were arranged on a grid pattern in 10-acre squares, separated by streets 132 feet wide -- "wide enough for a team of four oxen and a covered wagon to turn around."

In 1848, more emigrants came to the valley. But a late frost, drought, and a plague of crickets nearly destroyed the harvest. Flocks of seagulls consumed the crickets and enough of the crop was saved to enable the settlers to survive the winter of 1848-49. In gratitude, the seagull was later designated Utah's state bird.

Many of the pioneers were European converts to Mormonism. During the decade that followed they brought their culture, languages, and skills to the valley, building Salt Lake City into a cosmopolitan center.

When the Mormons first arrived in the valley the region was part of Mexico. A treaty signed in 1848 ceded it to the United States, and in 1850, the "State of Deseret" became the Utah Territory. Deseret means honeybee, a symbol of industriousness. Utah's state symbol is the beehive.

City Name:Havana
Trait:Militaristic
Civilopedia entry:
Spoiler :
La Havana city was founded by Diego Velasquez de Cuellar a Spanish conqueror on August 25, 1515 on the southern coast of Cuba. The original name of the city was “San Cristobal de la Habana”. It believe that the word “Habana” derived possibly from “Habaguanex” an native chief who controlled all this area before Spanish arrival; nevertheless the legend relates that Habana was the name of the Habaguanex’s daughter. In 1519 the city was moved to actual localization on the natural harbor of the Bay of Havana, this establishment was the sixth town founded by the Spanish on the Island.

Some years after its foundation, La Havana was the main Spanish port in the New World, because it was a required step for ships that traveled between Europe and America; it was called “The key of the New World”. From here departed the expedition of Hernan Cortes which conquered Mexico. All treasures of Mexico and Peru arrived first to La Havana before to continue the trip to Spain. Thanks to it many people arrived to La Havana, they were adventurers attracted by legends like “El Dorado” and “The seven cities of gold” who quickly populated the city.

I could use a Madrid city state, maybe others for Brunei, Karakorum, Sydney, and Cuzco if you don't mind.

Madrid should be militaristic
Karakorum as well
the other 3 could be cultural.

I'll get civlopedia text for you soon.

I'd mention mine as well but I don't think it's necessary :lol:

It's okay to make another CS adding mod though. Except for some overlaps, it won't cause much trouble. I guess people wanting more CS mods will just download them all :lol:

I am making a mod for all city states that people want to see added and I will add them to my new mod. The first version will include my additions: Vancouver and Troy and should be on the online download base later today.

Civilopedia entry:<insert here>

Give me SPARTA!!!! :D

Militaristic/Hostile (or irrational maybe)

don't worry about my request, already solved. Thanks though

Okay Havana has been added, so I guess I replace it with...

Reykjavík

Maritime

Civilopedia Entry:

Spoiler :
Iceland was settled in the late 9th and early 10th centuries, principally by people of Norse origin. In 930 A.D., the ruling chiefs established a republican constitution and an assembly called the Althingi (Alþingi) the oldest parliament in the world. Iceland remained independent until 1262, when it entered into a treaty establishing a union with the Norwegian monarchy. Iceland was then passed to Denmark in the late 14th century when Norway and Denmark were united under the Danish crown.

In the early 19th century, national consciousness was revived in Iceland. The Althingi had been abolished in 1800 but was reestablished in 1843 as a consultative assembly. In 1874, Denmark granted Iceland limited home rule, which was expanded in scope in 1904. The constitution, written in 1874, was revised in 1903. The Act of Union, a 1918 agreement with Denmark, recognized Iceland as a fully sovereign state united with Denmark under a common king. Iceland established its own flag, but Denmark continued to represent Icelandic foreign affairs and defense interests.

German occupation of Denmark in 1940 severed communications between Iceland and Denmark. Consequently, Iceland moved immediately to assume control over its own territorial waters and foreign affairs. In May 1940, British military forces occupied Iceland. Responsibility for Iceland's defense passed to the United States in July 1941. Following a plebiscite, Iceland formally became an independent republic on June 17, 1944. In October 1946, the Icelandic and U.S. Governments agreed to terminate U.S. responsibility for the defense of Iceland, but the United States retained certain rights at Keflavík. Iceland became a charter member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) in 1949. After the outbreak of hostilities in Korea in 1950, and pursuant to the request of NATO military authorities, the United States and Iceland agreed that the United States should again make arrangements for Iceland's defense. A bilateral defense agreement signed on May 5, 1951 remains in force, even though the U.S. military forces are no longer permanently stationed in Iceland. Iceland is the only NATO country with no standing military of its own.

I am making a mod for all city states that people want to see added and I will add them to my new mod. The first version will include my additions: Vancouver and Troy and should be on the online download base later today.

Civilopedia entry:<insert here>
How do you do this? I am wanting to add some new city states to the game (Carthage, Troy, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Riga, Kiev, etc).

How do you do this? I am wanting to add some new city states to the game (Carthage, Troy, Madrid, Barcelona, Lisbon, Riga, Kiev, etc).
Okay: use mod buddy to create a mod an insert XML files: Minor Civilizations and city state text. Or at least that's what I called them. Copy and paste a city state from the files in the actual game. Then add a line of text under game data:<MinorCivilizations> then paste the real city state under it and edit the name to whatever you want. Then you want some names and adjectives in the city state text XML, looking like this
Code:
- <Language_en_US>
		- <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_TROY">
			<Text>Troy</Text>
		</Row>
		- <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_TROY_ADJ">
			<Text>Trojan</Text>
		</Row>
</Language_en_US>
change the adjectives and name to whatever you want! This has been my rushed guide to adding a new city state.

Okay: use mod buddy to create a mod an insert XML files: Minor Civilizations and city state text. Or at least that's what I called them. Copy and paste a city state from the files in the actual game. Then add a line of text under game data:<MinorCivilizations> then paste the real city state under it and edit the name to whatever you want. Then you want some names and adjectives in the city state text XML, looking like this
Code:
- <Language_en_US>
		- <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_TROY">
			<Text>Troy</Text>
		</Row>
		- <Row Tag="TXT_KEY_CITYSTATE_TROY_ADJ">
			<Text>Trojan</Text>
		</Row>
</Language_en_US>
change the adjectives and name to whatever you want! This has been my rushed guide to adding a new city state.
That sounds very complicated. How do I insert XML files into the mod? I am wondering if it is possible to go into the Minor Civilizations XML file, add in new city states, and have it work.

Hey Garett and all, I'm working on a mod that will need City States associated to the major Civs, so I was wondering if I could use the ones here, giving proper credit!

This is the thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386090

It'd also be great if you guys could chime in on which City States should be associated to which Civs.

p.s. Is Salt Lake City not in the American cities list?

If it is you could just call it Deseret or New Zion.

I just want a Utah War with actual violence

That sounds very complicated. How do I insert XML files into the mod? I am wondering if it is possible to go into the Minor Civilizations XML file, add in new city states, and have it work.
Right click on your project. When the menu comes down there is an option called add. Click that and select new Item. A screen should pop up asking you what Item you want to add. XML files should be on that list.
Also, you can't just enter the new city states in to the original XML because mods require .modinfo files.

Hey Garett and all, I'm working on a mod that will need City States associated to the major Civs, so I was wondering if I could use the ones here, giving proper credit!

This is the thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=386090

It'd also be great if you guys could chime in on which City States should be associated to which Civs.

p.s. Is Salt Lake City not in the American cities list?

Of course you can!!!

PS. I was wondering about that also, going to check it now.

Top Bottom