Thank you for the quick responses! So if I understand this correctly, the AI (including barbarians) is encouraged to build economically completely senseless cities due to military considerations. If there is a city, there will be city defenders - and the chokepoint is held. Bonus points for hindering foreign troops to pass when no open borders exist. At least I think I understand the reasoning now. I admire the idea as such, but...

Unfortunately the Ai often destroys much better city positions a few tiles before such a chokepoint. And I have seen civs build their second city there, even though there was an abundance of much better city sites (economically). I doubt that the setback of wasting your second city (or your third, or your fourth) for a completely unproductive site is worth the military bonus. And it is a setback: You pay higher maintainance for the city plus guards and delay the founding of a productive city with all the boni that entails. Like higher research which allows you to build better defenders to actually defend a chokepoint.

In a recent game I have seen the Ljosalfar take such a chokepoint city from the Sidar very early. I only saw Ljosalfar scouts.

The advantage of holding such a chokepoint is undeniable. There are three general possibilities: City, fort, nothing other than naked terrain modifiers (preferably within borders). I would go with a fort or with the naked terrain modifiers. The latter is actually even better than a fort, at least for a while - if you have to remove a forest to build the fort. In my estimation forts are not later available than when it would not hurt you overly much economically to waste a settler and money for increased city maintainance. And I love the super forts which you can even build outside your territory - the perfect solution for this situation.

Do I guess correctly when I guess that it would be really a lot of effort to implement a more direct "hold the chokepoint" behaviour (i.e. with troops in forts) than to simply raise the AI's urge to build winter sport resorts in tight mountain passes?

However you answer that question, I would say that the added value for city site selection for chokepoints is definitely too high.

I think the AI is already quite good at building forts at chokepoints, but (I think) it will only move units to chokepoints when there is a city or fort there. Guarding these tiles without forts or cities is probably harder to implement; at least nothing I want to try anytime soon. I will look into the choke point valuation.

EDIT: Oh boy, you are right. They are settling every choke point they can get their hands on. I will fix this for the next version.

Last edited:
A think I don't like in EMM : the fact that any fort built give you control of the ressource it's on.

It allows players to easily pseudo cities everywhere, like Kuriotates.

You can lots of strategics/luxuries ressources without the investement of a city (Settler + Securisation and culture).

It's so easy now.

Hi.
I am fully unable to play EMM in multi. No idea why.
Every other players can.
We have same files. Same files weight.
Same installation process. I writted it myself here : https://docs.google.com/document/d/16wU12W73cDvCiXiBfSSaiRdi08WNCJvESS78X_nfSsI/edit

We played tons of time without any problem, few yeras ago with Tasunke, Dogan, others players. Now it's impossible.
Tryed to uninstall my steam verison and reinstall a CD version. Failed too.
Tried to remove Prolifes Users folder. Failed.
I tried to load my mod only by the Game Menu, not by shortcut executable. Failed.

I CAN play FFH2 without EMM in multi. I see the game in zulan lobby. I can connect by direct IP.
But any game with EMM files, make me impossible to see/join any game, or to be seen by any players in lobby.

I would like some help here, if it's possible. :(

Sorry, but I can't really help with multiplayer issues. It seems you already checked that you have the same mod version. It's weird that FfH does work and EMM doesn't; you could always try older versions of EMM, if you're able to pinpoint your problem to some specific version I'm happy to look into it.

A think I don't like in EMM : the fact that any fort built give you control of the ressource it's on.

It allows players to easily pseudo cities everywhere, like Kuriotates.

You can lots of strategics/luxuries ressources without the investement of a city (Settler + Securisation and culture).

It's so easy now.
You can disable advanced tactics when starting a game. It is in the bottom of the list.

Advanced Tactics

This option incorporates various game-related tweaks that I thought would provide a different and interesting FFH experience
Players can pillage their own roads
Pillaging sometimes grants experience
Bombarding sometimes grants experience
All units have an inherent withdrawal chance
Mech units can be captured as a result of battle (code adopted from the War Prizes modcomp by mechaerik)
Great Generals generated from combat with other civs
Advanced Diplomacy (adapted from Advanced Diplomacy by Afforess)
Super Forts - (adapted from Red Key's Super Forts mod (by Red Key))

I've just reinstalled FfH2 and EMM, and seem to be having a technical issue. At the beginning of any game, I am able to build the Shrine of the Champion, and have a 1 beaker seafaring tech available. A little digging through the forums revealed that this might be an issue with Assets/Python/CvGameUtils.py. Perhaps the python file isn't loading, or there is some problem with my renaming the mod folder. The installation instructions I followed:
1. Install FfH2 and patch
2. Change Fall from Heaven 2 folder name to EMM
3. Copy files from the EMM 0.5.2 zip into this folder.
Any idea how I can fix this?

Okay, so I fixed the problem by playing EMM in the Fall from Heaven folder itself. So the problem arises because of renaming the folder.

(I have changed the name of the folder in the file path in "Resource\Civ4.thm" and "Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Misc.xml" so that isn't a problem.)

Because Bitbucket is removing support for the Mercurial control version system (see https://bitbucket.org/blog/sunsetting-mercurial-support-in-bitbucket), I have ported ExtraModMod repositories to git. This should not affect players in any way as all links should stay the same, but please let me know if you notice any issues.

As you know ExtraModMod is no longer being developed so this change is only to preserve the original repositories, wiki, issues and downloads. A continuation of this mod can be found here.

I've just reinstalled FfH2 and EMM, and seem to be having a technical issue. At the beginning of any game, I am able to build the Shrine of the Champion, and have a 1 beaker seafaring tech available. A little digging through the forums revealed that this might be an issue with Assets/Python/CvGameUtils.py. Perhaps the python file isn't loading, or there is some problem with my renaming the mod folder. The installation instructions I followed:
1. Install FfH2 and patch
2. Change Fall from Heaven 2 folder name to EMM
3. Copy files from the EMM 0.5.2 zip into this folder.
Any idea how I can fix this?
Did you rename the ini file in the top level of the mod's folder (Mods\Fall from Heaven 2) to reflect the new name change of the mod folder?

Hey guys,

I've been asked to look at this (I haven't played with this yet, busy coding & playing my own MOD) but I hear it's working very very well in multiplayer ! Great to hear !

The question asked - on the map WorldOfErebus, starting distances between players are often too small.
As anyone encountered this issue and look at solving this? It'd be good if anyone can share his changes here...

Having a look myself :
The traditional 'assignStartingPlot' function calls the custom-made 'SetStartingPlots' (line 5559)
Code:
def assignStartingPlots():

gc = CyGlobalContext()
    gameMap = CyMap()
    iPlayers = gc.getGame().countCivPlayersEverAlive()
    spf.SetStartingPlots()
    return

'SetStartingPlots' just really decide which players gets which but doesn't decide where exactly besides calling FindStartingPlot in the class Starting Area (line 5670)
It defines areas cleanly and sets how many players can have each area (this is a factor)
Code:
        for startingArea in chosenStartingAreas:
            for i in range(startingArea.idealNumberOfPlayers):
                startingArea.playerList.append(shuffledPlayers[0])
                del shuffledPlayers[0]
            startingArea.FindStartingPlots()

The class 'StartingArea' (line 5718) defines all of it.
It creates a list of all acceptable plots with the function 'CalculatePlotList' (line 5736)
Then it will do 'FindStartingPlot' sort all the plots and put them in 'BestPlot'

Since it does a loop for each player (line 5896)
Code:
        for n in range(numPlayers):

I'm thinking you can maybe put a negative value for proximity to a starting plot already decided (line 5968 AND 6021)
Am not sure if it can be defined at this stage but I think if you fill in a list with already decided startingPlots then it should work
Code:
                    #Suggestion
                    #value -= proximityToOtherStartingPlot

valueMod = northMod * westMod * edgeMod

value *= valueMod
                    if value > bestValue:
                        bestValue = int(value)
                        bestSpot = m

Anyone already had or willing to look at this?
Unfortunately FFH2 doesn't work on my current PC so any pointer for my friends would be super welcome.

Can anyone tell me which folders i'm meant to copy from and to? I know it's to Fall from Heaven 2 in Civ4/beyond the sword/Mods/Fall From Heave 2 (which i've already patched to zero by extracting both and copying and pasting the patch files to the appropriate folders, one folder at a time). But I'm not at all sure where some of the folders in the Terken EMM folder are meant to be pasted to.

For instance there are all the .hg files and the info_events_enhanced and wilderness search string one. I would have assumed they just went in the main Mods/Fall From Heaven 2 folder, except that it already has a folder called 'main folder' in the Terken EMM mod folder, which seems to contain files with the same name as some on the main Fall from Heaven 2 folder

And where does the config folder go for instance, or where do the files in it get pasted to?

Last edited:
@Dunadd as lfgr mentions, ExtraModMod is no longer maintained so you may prefer to switch to the newer versions.

If you do want to give the old versions a try, in https://bitbucket.org/Terkhen/extramodmod/downloads/ you should avoid using the "Download repository" link and use one of the other two instead. Then you should be able to follow the instructions on the first post of this thread and it should work.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom