1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

ExtraModMod

Discussion in 'More Naval AI Modmod' started by Terkhen, Jan 19, 2013.

1. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

because normal axemen don't become impossible to build everywhere as soon as you tech iron working. it's a side effect of the "not need building to train" ability.

2. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

could you make the disciple you get with religious techs a unique unit with 100% chance to spread? it's very annoying when you get a religious tech and he fails spreading it and you can't get anymore :/

3. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

It sounds reasonable. I guess that the disciples obtained through random rewards could get the same property. I will create an issue for this.

4. scutarii

scutarii Chieftain

....but big chance for failure for opposing religions - order-AV; empyreian-esus

5. Doug Piranha

Doug Piranha Chieftain

I finally tried this; it looks as though it has some very good ideas.

One confusing thing that happened in my first game: I got the Mushrooms event, and it put the mushroom graphic on one of my hills. But it wasn't the Mushroom bonus, just a temporary tile boost that went away when I mined it. I think it would be much clearer if this event provided the Mushroom tile bonus.

6. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

it used to be an improvement, now it's a health resource instead.

7. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

Yes, it is a bug in 0.3.1. It is intended that the mushroom event gives the mushroom bonus instead of the old mushroom improvement. It will be fixed in the next version :)

EDIT: There is an outgoing balance discussion about civics and other stuff here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=12771990#post12771990

8. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Acheron currently can use his meteor shower while held in his city, this is a bit too much imo alongside with the sons and disciples. iirc held used to block spellcasting which is no longer true, perhaps a new promo for Acheron could have the old behaviour?

9. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Chieftain

Get rid of (okay, weaken) the sons instead. Acheron is meant to be the main obstacle, even if that's not how it works. The meteor does hardly anything.

10. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

that would also work, yeah.

11. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

I always considered this a fix. It felt weird that Acheron was not able to use its abilities just because of a workaround to force him to stay in his city.

Why is this needed? I always considered them part of the challenge.

12. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Chieftain

I'm not arguing for or against the change, (I view the whole thing as just part of the package of Acheron) simply that if you are going to weaken Acheron, don't weaken the dragon itself, weaken the Sons who strengthen the challenge incidentally, rather then the meteor which has no effect.

13. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I've thought for a long time that the Sons are a nice idea but implemented poorly (they usually come too early and too often, their easily exploited by certain strategies, etc).

I think it would be fun to re-explore the concept of having Acheron's Lair as being more potent (in either Barbarian hands or Player hands). Perhaps Heroic Strength1 for units built as well as +25% military production? I believe this can overlap with auto-applying enchanted blade to units ... since the latter affects both new and old units, while the Heroic Strength would only be applied to units built in that specific city.

Additonally, if we wanted, we could have Sons and Disciples explore outside of the city IF their spawn rate or tech requirements were a bit more tame. (Disciples at KotE, Sons at Sorcery).

14. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

You also have to bear in mind that the future barbarian changes to ExtraModMod coming from BarbsPlus will modify how Acheron and his units behave ingame in the future. Since barbarians get technologies faster with BarbsPlus, it is possible that Acheron can get Disciples and Sons even earlier (if this is the case, it should probably be countered by increasing their technology requirements). Having Acheron always appear far away from civilization starting points is a possibilitiy with Wilderness, and so on.

I don't like the idea of making the Dragon's Hoard too powerful, specially when in player's hands. Giving a slight bonus to the production of military units is IMO okay, while I think that giving new units Heroic Strength I is too much.

I have also been thinking about two additional proposals for 0.4.0 that modify how wars are played and therefore require feedback and discussion. The first one discusses the Mobility promotion while the second one is about roads. Opinions, suggestions and tweaks to them are welcome :)

15. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

Orbis had pretty nice mechanics for roads, you could look into that :)

16. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

I'm not able to find a download link to check them. The recent re-uploads do not seem to work either.

17. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

18. Terkhen

Terkhen Chieftain

19. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

ah, that's too bad. maybe try contacting Ahwaric, he should hopefully still have the sourcecode :)

20. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

In my other mods I've played with various other types of modifications to the Dragon's Hoard.

Namely, one 'nerf' in particular was to cut the culture in half from +8 to +4.

Hell, if we wanted to make it especially player friendly, we could make it +2 culture, +100% culture :D

The reduced culture would then be balanced out by an additional production of gold, and either boosting military production or giving new units a free promo (like the Shrine of the Champion does)

Another possibility was to give the Hoard +2 Adventurer GPP (or +4 ... etc), and possibly allowing the Grigori to take greater advantage of this ... but with the new adventurer counter, perhaps it would just increase the adventurer counter. Would that only affect the Grigori? Or would it grant a new Adv counter to the new Civ? Either way would be fine, probably .... although I'd almost rather prefer it increase Great General appearance rate for most civs and Adventurer appearance rate for the Grigori. (not sure if possible to make that distinction with a building that is created by an Item)