• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Extreme beer, coming to a keg near you soon!

farting bob

ThEy MaDe Me Do iT.
http://news.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/08/17/wbeer17.xml
American breweries are marketing a new range of "extreme beers" containing up to 25 per cent alcohol in an attempt to appeal to the palates of cocktail drinkers.
Seductively packaged, one brew is sold in a copper decanter costing $100 (£55), they compete with the concoctions served at fashionable bars. The move is a reaction to beer's slipping market share and the increasing popularity of spirits and wine.

While beer is still the most widely consumed beverage in America, its market domination is slipping - down from 56 per cent to 53.2 per cent over the past six years - as more people opt for stronger alcoholic alternatives at home and when out.

Brewing companies hope to reach a new audience, ideally trend setters and followers, by redefining beer's image.

A limited edition beer from Sam Adams called Utopias is 25 per cent alcohol (most beers are between four and five per cent).

Designed for after-dinner sipping like a liqueur, it tastes "like cognac smells", Jim Koch, founder of Sam Adams's maker, Boston Beer, told the New York Times. It is brewed with standard methods but aims to "push the boundaries of beer", he said.

BE and Tilt, new malt-based drinks from Anheuser-Busch, which sells roughly half of all the beer in the United States, are a cross between a beer and an energy drink.

Brewers acknowledge that over the past decade their efforts have been outshone by the astute marketing of spirits and wines.
Well, Extreme beer, great taste, and 5 times as strong as your average pint of lager. I personally think its a nice idea, you could switch someones beer over so they get drunk of a single pint, or for those depressed alcoholics out there (you know who you are!) you can get depressed much faster now.
Of course, the next stage is to increase it to 30 or 40%, and drop the 'e' and just have Xtreme beer. you know somethings good when its spelt like that.

i think its a hideous idea.
beer should be imbibed in quantity AND quality.
getting brained by a single pint is losing the point of drinking beer.
if i wanted to get that hammered, that fast, id go with the harder stuff.
its all about sociolizing. and for that you need time, which beer will give you.
all us "depressed" people out here, can always do a triple neat bourbon if we want to get it over with quickly.

I'm not so sure, the point of beer for me has always been taht it paces your drunkenness. Quintupling the strength will result in much shorter nights out for me.

Coming soon:

Extreme sherry
Extreme whiskey
Extreme chardonnay

Most importantly, will it be 5 times the price?

SonicX said:
I don't know, the 13 % in lots of Belgian beers is also more than high enough.

I was thinking something similar. American beers have too little alcohol and they don't taste so good (I haven't tried all of them, of course, but Coors, for example, is horrible). A 25 % Belgian or Czech beer might be interesting, though.

We have a competition here, the first guy to drink 10 Duvels in an hour without going to the toilet afterwards to clear his stomach get's the pot, not at 10 000 € (cost to enter : 10 Duvels + 1 € pot money)

Believe me, 13 % is more than high enough already. Anything higher is just beer with extra alcohol added, but it ain't beer anymore that way.

Good damnit, I feel like drinking hard right now.

I read a couple days of ago on Reuters that there already is an extreme beer in Europe, brand new... I think it's from Bavaria or somewhere nearby. I can't remember. This article about the American breweries is probably in response.

I'd like to know why they're saying four to five percent alcohol for beer. Around here in Kansas it's 6% from a liquor store. I think the grocery stores sell 3.2, but I don't buy from there so I don't know.

Truronian said:
Coming soon:

Extreme sherry
Extreme whiskey
Extreme chardonnay

Extreme Everclear! Woot! :crazyeye:

EXTREME BEER! DRINK IT- BECAUSE ITS EXTREME!!!!

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
:vomit:

Top Bottom