fail gold from wonders

I tried to find where the failgold is defined in the SDK, but couldn't find it. If someone could find were it happens it should be easy to lower the amount of gold given with failgold (divide by 2 or 3).

One of the positive things about Failgold is it's more complex than Wealth. It takes a little bit of planning because you can only build one Wonder at a time, you can use resources, whip overflow, manage build ques, chop trees, swap civics, tech research order.... with Wealth you just research Currency and build Wealth. I like that Failgold has some strategy to it, I just don't like the historical implications of actively trying to not build Wonders.

By no means would I want Civ IV to get simple and become Civ V but if I was changing it, I'd nerf Failgold from World Wonders and completely remove it from National Wonders. At the same time I'd look at buffing build Wealth, Research and Culture with options to make them more rewarding and complex as the game goes on. Example: Wealth goes through multipliers like Markets again, or Wealth builds 10% better for each luxury resource.

Easy failgold fix:

No failgold for National Wonders.
Failgold from one city only for World Wonders – presumably the city that has invested the most hammers in it.

I find the hype about Failgold way too big. In most games, I maybe build 1 or at most 2 World Wonders for Failgold, and in contrast to Wealth, one has to wait for the Gold and doesn't get it directly. Also, Missionaries (if having a Shrine of course) give way more Gold. And IND is as good as it is, not because of Failgold, but because of the greater ability to actually get the key-wonders, and, because Forges are the 2nd most important building in the game and an expensive and early one too.

Something really interesting btw., for those of you who play games that go that far: Easiest Failgold is building Execs for 1 turn, then take them out of the queue and start building them in 5 further cities, a.s.o. When one then finishes and the maximum limit of Execs is reached, all other Execs, which of course should be whipped before, get payed out fully :> With Kremlin, this even has a way higher effectivity, and it's not IND-specific. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with Missionaries :cry: .

I wouldn't have a problem with fail gold if once you removed a wonder from the queue, all hammers are lost. They'd just have to have a confirmation button so you couldn't do it by accident. Then it could still be a strat without being overly abused.

That's a new one for me Seraiel, I'll have to try Execs for failgold.

rah I like your idea because it would limit you to only building a World Wonder once and remove failgold from National Wonders at the same time.

And it would mean if you start building a wonder, get DoWed on and try to whip defenders.... you are screwed.

Why do you think National Wonder fail gold is particularly bad? Is it because it doesn't make sense, or you think it's really strong? I failgold "abuse" all the time, and national wonders make up a very small part of that....

I am liking these changes too.
I don't like the idea of actively trying to not build Wonders for gold instead. To me it is strange and unnatural.
Are we suppose to believe that 3/4s of the way through building the Great Wall, that an empire would just stop and sell it's materials to the highest bidder?
Or construct 5 portions to do the same thing?
That's just silly.
No. I think they'd end up with Walls in parts of their providences Perhaps just the city that built that part would be protected, instead of the whole empire.
Or a Bent Pyramid, instead of a more perfect one.
Anyway, I think you guys are on to something here.

And it would mean if you start building a wonder, get DoWed on and try to whip defenders.... you are screwed.

Why do you think National Wonder fail gold is particularly bad? Is it because it doesn't make sense, or you think it's really strong? I failgold "abuse" all the time, and national wonders make up a very small part of that....

No you just don't remove it from the queue so you don't lose anything.
I don't like it because it doesn't make sense and it's a blatant abuse.

Top Bottom