1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall From Heaven II Erebus pbem

Discussion in 'Civ4 - PBEM Games' started by Eclipse4449, Oct 12, 2014.

1. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Emperor

I've had two people now tell me some problems, as well as a bunch getting it through well. I'm downloading myself now to check.

As well as what Bob asked:
    Do you have the Mac version of civ?
    What error came up?
    How far did the install proceed?
    Anything else noteworthy about the progress?

If the error is something about smartscreen or blocking then click proceed anyway (on Win 8.1 you need to go more info for that). It isn't malicious, they just base that around number of downloads/trusted source.

Try checking the location it'll install to, and if it looks wrong then fix it.

2. ReallyEvilMuff

ReallyEvilMuff King

Try what knoedel and I needed to do - rename the folder so it is just eitb. That made things work for me.

I would prefer to stay as the banor unless there is mass objection. Things seem confusing enough in the mod without the added getting to grips with different racial traits or anything. The reason I chose them is they seemed pretty basic to play and that would probably help!

3. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Emperor

It's your choice, REM, I can't imagine anyone objecting to it.

4. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Properly Paranoid Proletarian

Yeah you guys do that renaming thing.

Very well then, I shall go random, independent of alignment, as long as I don't get Decius.

5. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

No, no steam here.

No, windows 7 I believe.

The install supposedly went all the way for Erurbus in the Balance.

Everything seemed to install correctly, including the mod being in the correct mod folder, but just got massive errors with civ when I attempted to load KNoedel's save file. I'm going to try again now after I renamed the mod to simply "Erebus in the Balance" and removed the "v 11.1" from it.

6. Nighthawk419

Nighthawk419 Deity

Yayyyy!!!!!

Nevermind - simply renaming the mod folder worked perfectly.

And I must say - WOW these graphics are amazing.

Looking forward to this game now!

7. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

Cool. I have begun work on the map, it should be done by the weekend.

I can tell the "random civ" people what I rolled now, or you can find out as a surprise when you get your first turn.

8. Imp. Knoedel

Oh do tell please! :scan:

9. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

You got Arturus of the Khazad!

10. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

Map is about 80% complete.

One thing I'd like some feedback on- right now the map is very lush. There are about twice the resources I'd normally add. I've been very generous because I'm worried that your normal speed setting will otherwise make the game unbearably slow. Now, you might not care at all that the map is rich in resources; you might even prefer that. The downside is more resources = less opportunities to really develop an economy of your own. I personally find it kind of boring when my only real option for a tile is to add a mine or plantation. If you all would prefer a map that's a more natural resource-wise, change the game speed to quick and I'll happily delete the excess.

11. Imp. Knoedel

I don't see what the amount of resources has to do with that. That's only relevant for the capital's BFC, once we get past one city you can't talk about a slow start anymore.

12. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I'm ok with the abundant resources

13. Luthor_Saxburg

Luthor_Saxburg Vassal of Civilization

Why not excess resources AND fast speed? I really hope that this is not s game with slow start.

14. Imp. Knoedel

I'd prefer Normal speed but something else to move the early game along like a free Great Person to settle or something like that. On the other hand I don't want our capitals to be too strong relative to the rest of our empires for the rest of the game.

15. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

If you cannot even understand why the amount of resources on a map correlates to a player's production and research rate then there is nothing I can do to help you. It is very easy in a normal-speed FFH game on a non-lush map to stall out on two, four or even a half-dozen cities, having to hit "enter" many dozens of times to advance past T1 units. In a SP game you can get past this phase of the game in an hour. In a PBEM it will take months. This will be the death of the game; it'll end up like every other PBEM running in this forum, with most of the players swapped for AI and struggling to achieve one turn a week. I would rather make the map too lush than see my work go wasted, but I would prefer to simply provide a more balanced experience on quick speed than have to make the choice at all.

That said, it sounds like you all are cool with abundant resources. That's fine- it's not what I would play with, but I'm not actually participating in the game. I just wanted to make sure you all were okay with a very lush map as a consequence of normal speed.

16. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

I'm ok with this :goodjob:

17. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

Map is almost complete. Qg is doing a quality check right now- some edits afterward, and I should be ready to email the first turn to Eclipse.

18. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

Map is finished, going to send the final file to Qg for one more peek and then I'll send out the first turn!

Some teaser images to pique your interest:

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

19. Eclipse4449

Eclipse4449 Deity

Ooooo nice!

20. BobCW

BobCW Warlord

Game is live! First turn sent to Eclipse.

Here are the players, in turn order:

1. Eclipse: Averax

2. Nighthawk: Faeryl

3. Imp: Arturus

4. REM: Capria

5. Luthor: Flauros

Additionally, the following AI are present:

Auric
    Rhoanna
    Perpentarch
    Hannah
    Cardith Lorda

I never got any feedback about your all's timezones or windows of availability, so I just used my best guess.

Important Map Note:

There are barb-spawning lairs about. Your starting warriors have been buffed a bit- I would keep them close to home. No sense in getting eliminated before the game has really begun.