Fall patch discussion thread

You should try the "8 ages of pace" mod if science feels too fast.

Not sure if it's compatible with this version, but, I'm sure if it is not that an update will be shortly available.

It is, updated it earlier today.

Soooo, did anyone try to play with the patch and notice any difference with the AI?

(I'm asking because I'm away for the weekend, and can't try myself before monday)

2. Sleep function for units - the only way to effectively police your borders of other regions of interest/concern

They do have sleep functions represented by the 'moon' icon and the fortify/shield option does the same for units. None of my units ever awake themselves on the next turn unless I select them, or any enemy gets close to them.

Nothing about making genuine diplomacy actually possible. Wait for the expansion perhaps?

I was mamluk-rushed with hit of medieval-era on Immortal. I am very happy and sad - was a good game until then :)

I was mamluk-rushed with hit of medieval-era on Immortal. I am very happy and sad - was a good game until then :)

Did Arabia use the Mamluk's well? I've seen them mass up their UU before, but they've always run around my city when I've played.

Did Arabia use the Mamluk's well? I've seen them mass up their UU before, but they've always run around my city when I've played.

Wasnt that bad, still room for improvement though. I was really suprised since i was never rushed like that after classical era before the patch. I saw the diplomatic intel that Arabia hit the medieval era, 2 turns later he declared war on me and came with 6 mamluks and a carpet of warriors.

They do have sleep functions represented by the 'moon' icon and the fortify/shield option does the same for units. None of my units ever awake themselves on the next turn unless I select them, or any enemy gets close to them.

Really? I never tried the moon thingy because I didn't want to park them permanently. Not seeing a 'Sentry' option, I always just fortified. If that's the case, then they really oughta make that more clear in the UI that the unit will wake up when it spots an enemy.

Added UI to show the next tile a city will grow to
Not working properly, twice city expanded to a different tile, then it switched to another tile and still hasn't expanded to the original tile it showed

The city governor is deciding to value a different tile highly right before grabbing it. Check every turn leading up to the grab and you might notice it switch.

It is, updated it earlier today.

What exactly needed to be done to update the mod? I had a working mod I was working on right before the patch, and now it just keeps kicking me out to the main menu once it finishes loading the civ explanation screen, with a "Start Game" message.

AI cities were easily conquered with or without the production card.

Absolutely. The point I was making is that the card helps increase the speed at which you can conquer... which skews the victory paths (even further) in favor of warmongering.

Why is nerfing the card the right choice?

Not sure why you are bringing up 'the right choice' here. Its a change. Are other options available? Of course. The purpose is to make the game more balanced. The devs made an effort to do that. With so many opinions on the matter, you could have an unending thread on the 'right choice' and never arrive anywhere. How about seeing how this plays out?

shouldn't your being able to do both be the whole point?

... And you can. I personally prefer wide play... for now.

It is so liberating after years of laying down four cities now to be able to expand as far as my civilization bonuses allow!

I now know how East-Germans felt when the wall came crashing down. I too had tears after expanding past six cities.

The fact one hay have to trade/steal/sue is a good start, at least it is something so I feel you are a little harsh in this respect.
I do however agree that the mechanics could be improved and I very much likes EgonSpenglers option below. I do like positive suggestions for improvement instead of just saying something is poor.
So with Egon, we get a french portrait painter GP and can immediately theme for France and perhaps her friends. We could also go for all portraits or all different artists
Yes, the process of acquiring artifacts and art includes some meaningful decisions. Already when you dig up artifacts you can influence the likelihood of receiving artifacts that are more likely to help you get a themed museum. It's still not exactly my favorite part of the game, but at least it requires that you make some choices and better choices are likely to lead to better results.

The actual theming process, moving around artifacts between museums, is an unnecessary minigame. It has only one correct solution and reaching that solution is pretty straight forward. As such it's not about making an interesting choice. Also, the interface is really bad, which makes it a very tedious minigame. To start with, they could add filters that would show only the slots containing great works of art or artifacts. Next add some kind of visual indicator that tells the details about the works so that you don't have to hover over them all to find out what they are. If there's a filter to show only the art or archeological museums (and possible other slots currently housing items of that kind), then maybe there's even space on the screen to write it out in plain text.

I meant sentry not sleep - whatever it's called we need a button that allows units to wake when approached by enemy forces......

My citizen buttons for Food, Production, Gold etc won't work now anyone having this problem. Every time you click it on the city screen it doesn't stay.

The city governor is deciding to value a different tile highly right before grabbing it. Check every turn leading up to the grab and you might notice it switch.

What exactly needed to be done to update the mod? I had a working mod I was working on right before the patch, and now it just keeps kicking me out to the main menu once it finishes loading the civ explanation screen, with a "Start Game" message.

I had to add a dummy entry to the <Settings> entry in the .modinfo. Had to do that for both of my mods. No idea why, I saw that someone else had done the same thing so copied it, it references one of the components which might make the difference. It's also got rid of 2 warnings I had in database.log that I had been ignoring.

happy the spring patch is here.

Not remembering new game defaults!? or no reroll?! Please add when you can.
yeah! i just assumed that "fall patch" meant that it was 6 months late...
Still missing: new game defaults, reroll, sentry, stop goto when enemy newly sighted.

No mention of fixing the Map Pin deletion bug. Hmmm. Maybe they don't know about it. :(
is there are bug register somewhere? does anyone know if the pin deletion bug has been reported? very frustrating.

No. Am I the only one around here that loves ICS? I would hate to go back to that 4 city mini-game.
I think there's a middle ground between ICS and 4-cities... Personally, I'd prefer a system sort of ICS with higher revolting - I.e. plant s many cities as you want but if you can control them all (i.e. keep them all happy, whatever), then some end up revolting and sending barbarians at you (and can be conquered by any civ with no warmonger penalty/declaration of war).

Top Bottom