Fall patch discussion thread

But more importantly, allowing that kind of production on a military unit, so early in the game, throws the entire multiple victory condition system out of whack, unless/until the other systems are given a tuning pass to bring them in line with warmongering. Production already was the most advantageous resource to focus on. With the ease at which AI cities are conquered, combining easy shields with low-cost units made warmongering a cheat mode.
AI cities were easily conquered with or without the production card.

As an aside, assuming for the sake of argument that Horsemen with +100% production are too cheap by a factor of 1.33? You could drop the production card to +50% to fix that, or you could increase the cost of Horsemen by 33%. Why is nerfing the card the right choice?

Is it just horsemen that are over powered, or knights too?

I keep saying this in posts... horses before stirrups sucked. They only had impact when demoralizing led by a general and outflanking type behaviors. The only exception was the steppe type horse archers who lived in a saddle. I just shake my head that a horseman comes out of a barb hut with the power of a swordsman upgrade. Its just wrong. In the early battles archers where pretty important, slingers were the pits as they are. Also Spearmen were rubbish, it was a cheap weapon not at all well used in a strong defensive line against horsemen.

Knights had stirrups and Armour so were much much better but it was not just long bowmen that took them out historically.

On the Patch
OMG... been playing a french match and bang bang bang, China is grabbing those wonders faster. The fix to make the civs more victory focused seems to be in place. It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

I just want to be able to customise my civ without having to MOD, change a leader name and maybe the CIV name,

glad to see you can at least tweak city names now.

One change that I think went undocumented is that you now can't chop forests outside your own territory, this is a really good change as you could really exploit chop.

From the patch notes: "Units may no longer remove features from tiles that are not owned by that player."

Well the swordsman has +10 against spears (which are rather common), while the horseman has -10. But I agree, that isn't enough.

If fact I'd say it isn't anything, since no one use spears. Why should they? With +cav production bonus card they are 50% more expansive to produce, same strenght, half mobility, in addition to getting completely destroyed by swordsmen if the opponent got any.

I was just playing from a pre-patch save with the patched game with no trouble. As far as I could tell, the patch changes were applied - for example, the amphitheater now has two writing works slots.

Great, I'll install the update now then. Don't want to lose the current save I've put hours into already!

Great, I'll install the update now then. Don't want to lose the current save I've put hours into already!

that's going to be interesting to see how your pre-patch game pans out post-patch. I'm in a game now where I'm planning on removing a gigantic rainforest inbetween me and Scythia to help my fight them, which won't be possible post-patch.

I was just playing from a pre-patch save with the patched game with no trouble. As far as I could tell, the patch changes were applied - for example, the amphitheater now has two writing works slots.

In my pre-patch game every amphitheater built before the patch has still only single slot after the patch but newly built amphitheaters have two slots.

[GAMEPLAY UPDATES]
  • Added the ability to rename cities.
:banana::dance::band::bounce::dance:

Well finally, the Scythians are playable. I am eagerly excited....

If fact I'd say it isn't anything, since no one use spears. Why should they? With +cav production bonus card they are 50% more expansive to produce, same strenght, half mobility, in addition to getting completely destroyed by swordsmen if the opponent got any.
Well, if you don't have horses and you don't have iron, then that rather limits one's options.

Ruhr Valley is still only +20% production according to the XML.

Edge scrolling also reverted to the original messed up version, had to edit that xml file again. I'm surprised they didn't fix the edge scrolling, since it was quite a major complaint on the first day when people posted their first impressions, and a simple solution that made it all a lot more intuitive and smooth was also offered on the very first day after release.

Saves that were crashing the game immediately after loading are working after patch! Wow, didn't expect that.

@Stilgar08 - my fault for not being clear: I was hoping to see them add the ability for the human player to ask AI to remove troops from their borders. As it is, you watch the AI pile on, waiting for the inevitable DoW, or you take the advantage, but score a warmonger penalty.

Why restrict when a unit can be deleted, if deletion no longer provides gold? Makes me think that the first item was a hack fix before they implemented the second fix.

To prevent you from preventing your enemy to gain XP.

Looks like this patch fixed most of the most glaring issues, but it's missing a few major balance overhauls that pretty much necessitate still using a few mods:

-Water tiles still useless
-Science still far too fast
-Some civs are still overpowered
-Problematic leader agendas not adjusted

You should try the "8 ages of pace" mod if science feels too fast.

Not sure if it's compatible with this version, but, I'm sure if it is not that an update will be shortly available.

Top Bottom